“Overpriced, poor service & poor quality of food.”

Great Northern Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Bundoran
“Overpriced, poor service & poor quality of food.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

Stopped off at the Great Northern Hotel today. Thought I would treat the younger members to a while in the pool while I went for a walk. Enjoyed my walk which is more than can be said for the 'swimmers'. They were disgusted at the dirt of the pool. They said they felt a bit "dirty" getting out of it. Anyway to make matters worse, we thought we'd have a bite to eat in the bar. Bad mistake. On entering the bar and taking a seat we waited and waited hoping one of the bar staff might offer us a menu, but not a person bothered about us. Eventually I requested one from the not so friendly bar man. I asked for a jug of Water and a mineral. I was told these would be dropped over to the table but alas I had to collect from the bar myself. All the glasses had to be returned as they were filthy - lipstick marks etc..yuck.. When the meal arrived it was minimal. It could be easily improved upon. (Salad) Very bland and tasteless. Probably half a tomato between two plates. Same for the egg. Prawns must have been scarce.! If we hadn't ordered a side of chips we would have been very hungry. Not once did anyone ask if we were okay,or if they could get us anything else. To be honest staff looked unhappy. Overall,the price we paid for this was totally unsatisfactory. The glass panes in the doors etc were grubby looking too. Brilliant location but a good upgrade needed.I don't live too far away but I wouldn't think of stopping off here again in a hurry.

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank tkeo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Trim, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

I was responsible for organising our stay at the Great Northern for my son, whose is getting married in a few weeks and our extended family and friends. It was very important that it went well.
I found Deirdre who handled all to do with the booking and Sarah who looked after us while we were excellent. Two very professional ladies. All the staff were very welcoming and efficient. The food was excellent and the rooms were lovely. The golf course was in excellent and alot of the views are stunning. The weather was very hot necessitating the delivery of ice cold drinks to very thirsty golfers on the course which the staff in the bar were great to accommodate. We would hope to make it an annual event.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Aidan M
GreatN0rthernH0tel, Owner at Great Northern Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Hi Aidan

Thank you for your recent review. It is with great pleasure to read your positive feedback. I will pass your comments on to the staff. I am so very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We would love to welcome you back to the Great Northern Hotel in the near future for another stay.

Bangor, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Room was a bit grubby had to clean the toilet, pool water was was cloudy and area around needed cleaned. Tv channels in rooms were poor and no wifi in rooms couldn't even pick it up in the two areas I was told they had it. Certainly one to mark of our list down that way....

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Dana M
GreatN0rthernH0tel, Owner at Great Northern Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Dana

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. All feedback is welcome at the hotel as it allows us to monitor each department.

It is with great disappointment to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We at the great northern hotel are always trying to give a high standard of service, I am sorry we did not achieve this on your stay.

I have passed your comments on to housekeeping and I will make sure to talk to our maintenance team regarding the pool water.

Our WIFI service has been dropping in and out of signal but we have contacted the provider and they are working on making this service better.

I really do hope we can welcome you back to the great northern hotel and that we can live up to our 4 star status.

Brian McEniff

Travellers are raving about these Bundoran hotels

dublin,ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed in this hotel last weekend and were extremely disappointed with it.I booked it as it is four star rated but soon after checking in, realized it might once have been, but certainly isnt now!
We were early to check in(approximately 2 pm) but were given our key to our room to drop our bags.As a result of that we entered the room to the way the previous nights guests had left it.!
We then ordered lunch in the hotel bar and found both the bar service and the food mediocre.
We spent the afternoon exploring Bundoran and surrounds.The town of Bundoran is run down, half the shops, bars and apartments etc are empty and unkept.Certainly not the seaside town we were expecting.
We ate in the hotel bar on the first evening as there was nothing appealing locally but again were rdisappointed with it.The menu was the worst menu I have ever seen.The salad was limp and uninteresting, the chips were frozen, the chicken burger was a wedge of breadcrumbed unidentifiable meat.It was completely overpriced for what it was.There were plenty of bar staff but they were completely incompetent .We niticed a few other guests complaining about their inefficiency also.
Iused the pool and gym on Saturday, both in need of a good clean.Parts of the carpet was sellotaped together.The windows looked as if they hadnt been cleaned in years.Our bedlinen was clean but tatty as were some of the fixtures and fittings.
This hotel could be fabulous, its in a great location, all be it a run down seaside town that has seen much better days.Scenically, its stunning, but to our disdain looks , in this case, are very deceiving.

Room Tip: Couldn't give a positive tip
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank sandyDublin_ireland
Dear Sandy

I was sorry to read of your disappointing experience when you stayed with us recently.

I would very much welcome the opportunity of responding to you in detail directly and to that end I would be delighted if you would contact me on briani@greatnorthernhotel.com or phone 0719841204.

Thank you very much for giving us your feedback and I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards
Newry, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights dinner, bed & breakfast...this is our 2nd stay in the hotel & we have had lovely experiences on both visits...staff are welcoming , friendly & very helpful with the owner chatting with guests each evening at dinner ...a nice Irish touch!Everywhere very clean if a little dated ( this just adds to the experience in a good way!)Breakfast everyday is great with choice of fruits, cereals,juices and cooked meals, dinners were 4 course meals with varying menus each evening and all delicious and plentiful served by great staff in a large spacious, bright and airy dining room.Great leisure centre with great swimming pool & all the theraputic treatments. Lovely cliff walks , golf on site, lots to do in town which is just a very short walk (large waterworld, cinema, casinos , kids funfair , 2 playparks and one in Hotel grounds...lots to do for all age groups & abilities.

Room Tip: If you like peace & quiet this is the perfect place!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
GreatN0rthernH0tel, Owner at Great Northern Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Evelyn

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am so very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have passed your positive comments on to each department manager.

Evelyn we look forward to welcoming you back to the great northern in the near future.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Just back from 1night stay in the Great Northern Hotel. Got bar food in the evening; it was very basic and disappointing. The next morning at breakfast I had eaten brown bread, when I went to get another slice I discovered the remaining 2 slices which I hadn't eaten had mould on them. The breakfast coordinator confirmed it was mould, said sorry and offered me more bread to which I declined. She removed it but never returned to me after that. I informed the receptionist of the incident. She apologised and refunded me €10 for the price of my breakfast. It had cost €110 for 2 of us to stay BnB. Needless to say that meagre gesture to compensate for such a disgusting experience will not see me return to this hotel or recommend it to others I know. It has a 4* status. Mouldy bread is in no way acceptable

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Margaret C
Dear Margaret C
Thank you for your feedback. It is very important for us to receive comments from our guests to
permanently improve our quality and service.

We are sorry that you found our Bar food in the evening to be basic, we do have a wide range of options for dining in the evening, if you did not wish to have a full meal in the Tir Chonaill Dining room, our Coffee Shop and Bar offer everything from light meals and snacks to hearty burgers, fish and steaks.

Concerning the mouldy bread at breakfast please accept our sincerest apologies.
When the bakery delivers the bread it is sometimes still hot. The bread is then packed into plactic sheets, the warm breath can't breathe and so it can happen that the bread gets mouldy. I can assure you that the bread you had was in date. This is of course no excuse. It was definitively our mistake that we did not check the bread. You can be sure, that all our products of our breakfast-buffet are fresh. We set a high value on the quality of our food. Almost all our products and the ingredients for our breakfast come from organic and mostly regional sources. We have spoken with our supplier and they have incorporated a new method for packing the bread so thank you again for bringing this to our attention.
We assure you that we take your comments very seriously. Please accept our apology for the
inconvenience during your stay.

We hope to see you again sometime in the future

We would be pleased to welcome you again to our Hotel!

Best regards
Omagh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with my wife and my 2 girls (aged 3 and 5). We have stayed in bundoran many times over the years on our own but not in the Great Northern. The hotel is set in a great location, overlooking the sea and bundoran and is surrounded by a golf course (next time im here im having a round or 2) We were a bit aprehensive about taking our 2 girls as we werent sure how well the hotel would cater for children. Have to say it is very child friendly and we didnt feel out of place as there were so many families there. There is a kids club on site but we didnt use it as we had lots to do in bundoran. Although from what i heard from other parents it was actually quite good. We did use the pool and the girls loved it. Had bar food and it was well priced for the 4 of us and served the usual kids favourites and adults alike. Only minor complaint is that the bar service is quite slow but it wasnt as if the lads hadnt been trying. The guinness is good on site.
Breakfast was ok, and is served to you so there is no need to get up and get your own.
Family room was spacious and ours had a view of one of the golf greens. As if it wasnt tempting enough. Had a double and 2 single beds. Decor is a bit dated but for some reason i felt it added character.
Staff were pleasant especially when checking in and out. Made us feel like guests and not like we were a hinderance.
Would like to return again and make us of the kids club and of course the golf. Would return as a family, as a couple or with a group as this hotel caters for all. Our 2 girls really loved it there and are jumping at the chance to get back.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank darren g
GreatN0rthernH0tel, Owner at Great Northern Hotel, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Darren g,

Thank you for choosing to visit us and for taking the time to provide a review of your experience with our hotel.

I am delighted to read that you loved our location, enjoyed the food and our wonderful Guinness here. Just to let you know we have refurbished many of our rooms and hope to finish all rooms by the end of the year. We pride ourselves on our Old World charm here but we also like to keep rooms updated and fresh.
I hope on your next visit you will avail of the amazing Kids Club we have to offer our families which will give you time to fit in those 2 rounds of Golf that must not be missed!!!

Once again thank you most sincerely for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to Bundoran very soon where I hope we will exceed your expectations in all aspects of your stay.

Kind regards,
Brian Mc Eniff
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bundoran
The Holyrood Hotel
Fitzgerald's Hotel
Fitzgerald's Hotel
#3 of 5 in Bundoran
Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa

Been to Great Northern Hotel? Share your experiences!