Great Northern Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Bundoran
Reviewed 7 June 2007

My wife & I stayed for 2 nights B&B & 2 meals in june '07.
The room we got was terrible. The beds were rock hard and most uncomfortable. The bathroom had no extractor fan and the toilet seat was broken. The bath and sink taps were covered with a growth of dirt around their base. The view from the window was a flat roof and the room was stuffy and small. We really should have gone to Lough Derg, it would have been been better. The second night they gave us a much better room with an improved view of a putting green. The beds were still rock hard and pillows stuffed with blankets. Bathroom had a extractor fan that didn't work, which meant there was always a smell. I would not recommend this hotel.. Just glad to get home for a good nights sleep.
McNiff should be taken up for his lies on the internet site.
4 Star - no way - maybe 2 star.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank star49
Write a ReviewReviews (1,038)

Reviewed 27 May 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a relaxing weekend in May, and from the minute we arrived, signs were that this was not going to be the best weekend.
Firstly they couldn't find our booking on the system...after ten minutes of searching, they found it and off we went to our room. This was in the old wing of the hotel and was horrendous - no hot water, the shower was a trickle and the bed was uncomfortable. Our first night was spent listening to the people in the room above us arguing until around 3am, only to get up again at 7am the following morning - obviously sound proofing was not a consideration. Breakfast was ordered to our room on Saturday - the scrambled eggs were a microwaved, tasteless lump, coffee was like tar and everything arrived covered in cling film. Not sure why - just struck us as being a complete waste. We were booked into the hotel resatuarant for a meal on Saturday night - another catastrophe. The service was appalling, food was overcooked and tasteless, the mash was more water than potato and the other veg were overcooked to the point of being unrecognisable.
I am utterly baffled as to how this hotel has reached four star status when nothing that we saw over the weekend was of more than a two star standard. The staff were abrupt and rude, and frankly, I wouldn't return to this hotel if I were paid.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
7  Thank claire276
Reviewed 23 May 2007

We were there for a wedding, and being foreigners we didn't want to stay anywhere else except where the reception was. The photo of the hotel looked very pretty and seemed like it would be nice inside too. The website didn't post any pictures of the rooms. That should have been our clue right there, but alas, we really had no choice.

The room was really old, like 1950's? Maybe 60s? It was old. The beds were absolutely horrible. The bathroom wasn't even clean. The toilet was grossly unclean, imagine a fairly disgusting toilet in your mind, okay that was it! The bathtub appeared clean but had someone else's pubic hairs in it! I realized then, that we were stuck, and we had booked in for two nights. I remember they had a policy of cancellation that we could just make, so I called down and they accepted our cancellation for the second night. Okay, on to the rest of the room, the TV was this 8 inch piece of junk. It was so old, it didn't even have a single channel that was in focus! Also, there was no cable TV at all. I don't know if it's called that in Ireland, but the only stations available on the TV were the free ones, and in Ireland there are only three. This is not America, and I'm fine with that, but if you're going to charge the equivalent of $200.00 US than it should be a decent hotel. Not four star, but three or a great two! But this place isn't even a one star. Crappy stinky rooms, non-existent service. The bar was open, and then the bartender disappeared for over an hour. The front desk just shrugged their shoulders. Breakfast was edible. But if you're expecting any of the famous Irish hospitality, better you go somewhere else. None of the staff was actually Irish, except the people at the front desk, and they seemed to be lacking any sense of hospitality as well.

The views are great! Not from my room but there you have it.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank dmoregan
Reviewed 27 March 2007

The hotel is amazing to look at but that's where the "Great (ness)" ends.

I was part of a small tour group. We stayed only one night. That night, the boiler went out so there was no heat at all in the entire building as well as any hot water in the morning. Temps were in the high 20's that night. When I checked out, I was told one story but overheard the staff tell another guest a completely different story. What????

I had breakfast in the morning and the wait staff seemed to ignore me. They looked my direction but their eyes skimmed the top of the room, not in the direction of any patrons face. After many attempts at "hand waving" did someone respond.

I would not stay there unless your idea of a 4 star hotel is having no heat in your room, absolutely no hot water and being ignored in the dining room by the staff.

• Stayed: March 2007

4  Thank 2frank2
Reviewed 29 December 2006

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Sadieirl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bundoran
The Holyrood Hotel
Fitzgerald's Hotel
Fitzgerald's Hotel
#3 of 5 in Bundoran
Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa

Been to Great Northern Hotel? Share your experiences!