“Lovely staff & good value”

and 1 more site!
Allingham Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Bundoran
Letterkenny
“Lovely staff & good value”
Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

The hotel itself could do with a facelift. It was a bit drab but in saying that it was perfectly adequate. I know many people stay there for the country music as I'm not a big fan of country music I was there for the good deal we got & for the location. The room was fine, the shower wasn't the usual standard in a hotel that I would be used to. The bar food was lovely but the bar itself was a bit dull & decor wise felt tired it was also very hot. There was an unusual heat wave while we were there & not a hint of air conditioning. The lobby was lovely & most nights we choose to take our drinks or food out there. The staff were very nice but like I said think its time for a wee make over. Maybe spend a wee bit of that money you make on the country music & put it back into the hotel

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Bebopadoo
Allingham A, Manager at Allingham Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Thank you for your recent review, we appreciate all feedback. Predominantly, we are well known as the Capital of Country in the North West, and you are correct in mentioning that many people do stay here because of this however, we also have regular families, groups, tour buses, senior citizen groups and football teams staying with us, even a few celebrities have graced us with their presence.

Due to this we do attempt to appeal to each and every guests individual needs, we offer the bar area, the light and airy café bar area opposite reception, the lobby area, The modern Quay West Bar and the dining room. All of these area's are available to dine or relax within.

I think that I could be right in assuming that this is your first stay with us at the hotel as otherwise, you would be well aware of the renovations we annually carry out during the winter months. This is definitely one of the things that we pride ourselves on being able to do.

Thank you for your kind comments in relation to the staff. We hope you will return to stay with us in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Polish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Popped in for a spot of supper with the wife and family and was pleased with what we all got.

3 starters, 5 mains and 4 drinks about 94 euros.
Not the dearest and not the cheapest but acceptable for a seaside tourist resort.
Only complaint to be had was in regards to the fajita which was "too smoky" but that is individual taste.
The chicken goujons for starters was a nice size and was pleased to see they looked homemade with nice crispy light batter and not bought from a supermarket and fried like a lot of places do.
Main courses of haddock goujons were fresh and tasty.
Burgers were still juicy and moist unlike the terrible burger got earlier in the week up the road at the food kitchen.
The only other issue is the chips were more than likely frozen but aren't they all these days.
Good portions, good service and even though my cousin ordered potatoes and veg they brought him out chips but as soon as this was mentioned it was rectified promptly and he even got to keep the chips so the best of both worlds.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent dining experience at the hotel. It's great to read that you were satisfied with all of your choices from the extensive menu available. I'm glad that the minor error with regards to the side dish was rectified promptly and we hope that you will return to us in the future.
Ballyclare, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2013

this is an excellent hotelstaff great and go out of their way to make your stay plesent the entertament at night is mighty food great rooms cleaned every day only thing is there is no pool but there are 2 in the town itself so all in all a very good hotel

Room Tip: ask for sea view
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Allingham A, Manager at Allingham Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for the positive feedback. We hope to welcome you back again soon.
Reviewed 8 July 2013

My husband and I, along with our 3 kids aged 12, 8 and 2 went to Bundoran yesterday Sunday 7/7/13 as we do quite frequently (Only 1 hours drive from home) and after spending a full day at the beach basking in the beautiful sun we were all ready for a fulfilling meal. We have eaten in a most places in Bundoran (the last place charged €5.60 for 2 jugs of orange, so it was a definite no no) and it was approx 10 years since we'd visited the Allingham Hotel but decided it was worth a visit because it was in close proximity to us & people we just met at the funfair recommended it to us.
So we dined at the Quay West - The staff were very polite, swift and helpful, particularly the ginger-haired barman/waiter who was friendly & we were quickly given a highchair. My toddler loved their mash & gravy, the Caesar salad was Fab & my husband recommends the haddock gougons & chips which was lovely. I would particularly like to compliment the hotel for NOT charging us for mere jugs of orange!!! Dessert afterwards was delicious & we left with full tummys & not an empty wallet!!!!
Although i cannot comment on the overall hotel (rooms,reception,etc) I would HIGHLY recommend the QUAY WEST to families going to Bundoran looking for delicious but inexpensive food & staff who exercise great customer service!! ;)

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank JennyMcQuillan
Dear JennyMcQuillan,

Thank you for your review following your recent meal in Quay West and for your positive comments.

We hope to see you again over the summer.
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Booked in for 2 people originally at 110 euro - was told this included dance. So we thought fine we ll head off from Monaghan for the night - we then booked in another girl at an extra 40 euro so in total they received 150 for the twin room with three sharing..... Anyway we arrived and as there was a sign up saying bar food ended at 6 (which it didnt as food was still being carried in at 9)we went to the restaurant . Nice wee girl serving but it was obvious she hadn't been trained to serve- menu looked ok so we ordered - the duck was rubbery and actually needed to be sawed through- frozen chips. Poor stodgy greasy choc brownies- as we there we had our own discussion over it and said we d just leave it and go to get ready to go out. Another 115 euro between us wasted on inedible scrap - we then went to go into the dance and were asked for 15 euros each- I explained that I was told it was included- we were sent to reception- so a young girl listened to what I said and dismissed what I explained as being false and was so rude. After the awful meal this was not what we needed. Then an older woman came out from somewhere o deal with me and didn't have the attire or manners of management ( I didn't know who I was dealing with) so I explained again to be told very abruptly that she knew who I felt with and she d never make that error and did I seriously think at the money we payed it would be included??? I stated that in comparison to the 140 we payed b and b- for 2 nights we could have had 2 b and b and dinner and dancing.... For 119 each so that rude comment wasnt needed by her. I then after realising I was only getting disrespect for this woman to ask for management or the lady who made the booking. I'm the manager she said half smirking- in total shock I did state that her lack of customer service was disgraceful and no respect given to us at all- it was a matter of "oh well". So to avoided a totally ruined affair we payed in anyway and to my horror I've never seen as bad a set up and a lot of people commented on this while we were there- broken glass and bottles all left lying on the floor. An out and out disgrace as there were old people present with limited mobility. The breakfast was shocking- a man behind me stopped his wife taking the sausages as they weren't even cooked properly. Bacon with more fat than anything and eggs over cooked- grease floating in the sausages- white. Beans and scrambled egg - basic cereal and porridge. That was it! We went elsewhere for breakfast and left it. I couldn't encourage anyone enough to go for the dance but stay elsewhere where you will be appreciated as a customer- with respect, after all there people wouldn't have jobs without custom.

• Stayed June 2013
5 Thank Muineachan
Allingham A, Manager at Allingham Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2013
Firstly, see response to review below as this answers the majority of your rant.

After comparing both reviews you appear to contradict yourselves and each other regularly. Your friend states that the “desserts were lovely” however yours was not so nice?? You “had never seen such a bad a set-up” at the dance however, “you couldn’t encourage anyone enough to go for the dance” (sic)

You had your own discussion following your meal and decided you would “just leave it” maybe you should have done the same with your review/rant as when it comes down to the it, you were just annoyed with the fact that you weren’t provided with free dance tickets.

Finally, we appreciate all of our customers and our GM/staff are regularly quoted by name in reviews for their hospitable and kind nature, therefore your comments with regards to staff member’s service and attire are not welcomed.
monaghan
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Myself and a couple of friends are just back from a night in Bundoran on 29th of June. We dined in the restaurant the waitress that served us was pleasant however the food was not good. My friend and I ordered the duck for the main but we would have needed a steak knife to cut it and it was tasteless but the vegetables were ok and the desert was lovely.
When we booked the hotel we were told by the receptionist our package included one nights b&b and free entry into the dance. We went to the reception to get our free tickets into the dance but they told us that we had to pay in as our package didnt included the price into the dance. The two women at reception called us liars, kept shouting, very abrupt and rude. One of them was claiming to be the manager of the hotel !!?????
We ended up paying 15 euro each this incident and the way we were treated by hotel staff members ruined our stay. We will not be back in this hotel again and would not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank monaghanrusty
Thank you for your recent review, Trip advisor is an excellent forum for sharing tips and experiences following your visit to an establishment.

However, it also gives the owner/manager an opportunity to respond fairly. This is something which you told us not to bother doing.

As you state in the first line of your review, “yourself and a couple of friends” came to stay. Can I stress that when you booked you asked for a twin bedroom, which sleeps two people comfortably. You failed to notify us prior to arrival that there would be a third person in your party, as we were fully booked we couldn’t accommodate you in one of our triple rooms therefore we offered you a 15% discount on the third person sharing with you. Once payment had been made you proceeded to accuse our staff member of overcharging you, until you realised you were incorrect with your accusation.

Dance tickets weren’t included in your rate and the Manager (who you seem to question in your review) and receptionist in question attempted to explain this to you on numerous occasions. At no point did they call you liars, they merely defended the member of staff that took your reservation originally and explained that as a person that deals with rates and reservations 5 days per week, it was highly unlikely that she would make a mistake.
We have every faith in the ability of our staff.

With regards to your comments on dinner, none of these issues were raised in the dining room therefore they are very difficult for me to rectify now.

Negative reviews are rare for the hotel and there is a reason for that, we are family run and offer outstanding value for money, we have an excellent team and our service and hospitality is consistent, hence the majority of our guests being repeat and highly recommending us to others.
ABERDEENSHIRE
Reviewed 23 June 2013 via mobile

Back once again but as usual had a brilliant time. Staff lovely especially Carmel. Always a smile on his face and never stops working. Restaurant 5 star. Good menu selection and served beautifully. Thanks to Jason for this. Music was superb every night and also Sat afternoon. And last of all to Peter - an excellent manager who keeps this hotel at the highest standard. It s a long journey for us from Aberdeen but this was our 8th visit and the ninth won't be too far away hopefully. Most definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Derlyn
Allingham A, Manager at Allingham Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2013
Thank you so much for your recent review. I will ensure that I pass your compliments on to Kamel, Jason, Peter and all of the staff. We're extremely proud of our staff at the hotel and we definitely feel that this is the reason we have such a high volume of repeat business. We hope to see you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bundoran
The Holyrood Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rossnowlagh
Mill Park Hotel
Mill Park Hotel
#3 of 7 in Donegal Town

Been to Allingham Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!