“Will definitely be back next year!!” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Grand Central Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Bundoran
manchester
“Will definitely be back next year!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

Myself and my partner stayed here for a 5 night break and had a wonderful time!!
All the staff were very helpful reception staff, cleaners and restaurant staff. We were greeted by a very cheerful receptionist who seemed interested in us as people rather than just 'another guest' & offered us lots of information about the surrounding area and the best places to visit to make the most of our short visit.
We were shown to our room by a polite young man, and were pleasantly suprised by the room which had everything we needed, and was very clean. The view was great, especially in the evening times as the sun was setting. The room was cleaned daily with new towels and bedsheets. (I now this because my partner lives and dies by his religious self tanning which often messes my sheets).
The restaurant was always set well throughout the day from breakfast to evening dinner. The food was very good, not too flashy offering a large choice even the fussiest of eaters could find something to feed their appetites and we had nothing but compliments to the chef for everything we ordered.
The waiting/bar staff were great at there jobs, very attentive, making sure our drinks were topped up and checking to make sure we had everything we needed.
We would both like to thank all at the grand central for a fab stay.....you have a good team who do a great job making guests feel welcome.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank xaqualadyx

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
bolton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

I stayed in this hotel recently and i thought it was great value for money. The rooms were kept clean daily with fresh bedding and towels. The staff were very helpful and could not do enough for you. The breakfast was cooked nicely with plenty of choices and was fresh too. Went out for the day and came back to smiles all round from the friendly staff. The dinner was amazing with fresh food all round. We stayed in the bar for the night and was treated to fantastic entertainment. I would highly recommend this hotel to future guests and cannot wait to return again.

1 Thank fhughes2
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

I received extremely poor service from this hotel on 8th & 9th of August 2013. My sister-in-law booked this hotel on our behalf, due to the central location to all the local amenities.

On arriving in Bundoran my partner initially enquired at reception about check-in, only to be greeted in a rude manner and told check-in was not until 3pm.

We returned at 3.20pm, only to be informed our room wasn't ready and we would have to wait. Finally checking in at no point were we given any information relating to the services available on our booking or within your hotel. When we checked into or room and I could only describe what was a fusty smell in our room and in the quilt covers and pillows, I now realise this must have been due to the fact we had been booked into smoking room with 2 young children on a smoking floor.

On coming and leaving our room there was the constant smell of smoke in the hall way. We did not realise we were booked onto a smoking floor until the end of our stay when we complained. Only to be told if we had mentioned earlier we would have been moved. As far as we were aware all hotels are non smoking, so did not realise.

During our stay our children wanted a bath but the bath taps were seized, thankfully my partner is a plumber so was able to rectify the problem ourselves. I telephoned the reception to enquire if we had breakfast included with our booking (as this was not mentioned when we checked in), and was informed it was included and the times we could go to breakfast.

Our first breakfast experience was a disaster, firstly the staff was still setting out the tables when we arrived and for the duration of our breakfast. Our table was not set out correctly with all the utensils needed, which we sourced ourselves and also the food was cold. At this point I did mention to a member of staff my egg was cold to which he replied "What do you want me to do about it...put it in the microwave" then proceeded to walk away from our table. I did approach the receptionist about my experience at breakfast, but wasn't greeted in the warmest of manners and did not have any feedback about this issue.

On the first evening we decided to stay at the hotel for our evening meal - which we paid for! Upon going back to our room we were greeted by a horrendous smell in the hallway on the way back to our room. We noticed a pile of dirty laundry left in a pile, so can only come to the conclusion another guest at the hotel had soiled the sheets only to be left for other guests to breath in the awful smell.

On the final morning of our stay I and my two children went for breakfast, the experience to begin with was much improved on the previous day. I was informed however that our package included a two course evening meal, only then to be told not more than two minutes later by another member of staff it didn't!

I was then approached by the duty manager informing our package did include a two course evening meal. I explained I was not aware we were entitled to a meal and she became very stand offish and said that it wasn't the fault of the hotel but our fault as customer's to be fully informed of what we had booked. I explained my sister-in-law booked it on our behalf and she had not been informed our package included a two course evening meal.

I ran through some of my concerns with her but she only offered a "complimentary" lunch because we hadn't had our meals. As we were checking out straight after breakfast we did not accept the lunch offer. I was really upset at this point as a member of staff informed me on the day we were leaving about the meals and also proceeded to discuss this point whilst I was trying to eat my breakfast, which inevitably went cold.

My partner went to reception to complain about all our issues, at that point the "Duty Manager" informed my partner that she was not in fact the manager. My partner left his contact number and e-mail address but to date we have not received a response.

I am extremely disappointed in the service we received from this hotel and had an unpleasant stay and experience.

I am writing this review to highlight the catalogue of poor service and issues we as a family received at this hotel. I did give the hotel time to comment and provide us with a response but again to date we have not received one.

My sister -in- law has also contacted the hotel but also has not received a response.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
14 Thank BDH123

Travellers are raving about these Bundoran hotels

Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

Had nice weekend here apart from tv not working in the room and being charged double on arrival which i discovered when i got home . 2 weeks later still chasing my refund .....!
Breakfast a little disorganised but good when you finally get it .

Room Tip: Stay at the back as front rooms can be a little noisey
1 Thank Michael M
Derry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

Stayed in this hotel on Sat 14th September. Last minute trip away. Walked in off street and were greeted by a friendly male receptionist. Got a room no problem 78 b&b for (2). R room was on the 5th floor. Basic and a bit scruffy but very clean and fresh. Went to the hotel bar for lunch. food was great. Went out for the day and returned after dinner. We stayed in the hotel bar were there was live music. good atmosphere.

Bads were comfy and i got to sleep no problem. Only problem i did have was the repeated slamming of the door in the corridor until 3:30am. Maybe this was because r room was quite close. Not a major issue.

Breakfast the next morning was great. Plenty of choice. Good food.

Overall a good hotel. Great staff. Very friendly. The hotel is 3* and thats what you get.

1 Thank lok85
Ohio, USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

My wife and I stayed one night in the Grand Central Hotel in Bundoran as part of a bus trip around Ireland. We stayed in six different locations during our 11-day tour, and I have to say that this was the bottom rung of the lodging ladder for our sample. While the lobby and common areas are nice and seem newly renovated, the room we had was a bit shabby and needed work. The location seemed to be in a rundown area of the small town and access to the beach via an alley way that was in disarray. It also took three tries to get into the room (key would not work). All that said, place was basically clean.

We had both dinner and breakfast at the hotel. The food was very good and the service was efficient. Nothing special, but still good. We also spent a little time in the hotel pub, which was probably the nicest part of the property. There was live music there in the evening which made for a nice end of the day (the night we stayed the weather was cool and raining, so it was good to have a something to do rather than just sitting in the rundown room).

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
galway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

I stayed in Grand central last week for 2 nights with my husband, on arrival was a delay with check-in but when we got keys for room were very pleased with how clean and spacious it was so didn't mind the 35min wait. could do with some re-decorating tho but didn't bother us. On the 1st night we had a bar meal which was very nice i had the cod which would fill 2 people, very low priced for portion! the next evening we had our meal in the drowes restaurant, food was good apart from the 8 supp for steak which didnt meet my husbands standards however it wasnt terrible, service was brilliant by a young smiley blonde who couldn't do enough to make sure everything was ok, rates good, breakfast was average. staff very friendly. only down side is they don't have there own car park (3e charge per day). will be back next year with kids.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bundoran
The Holyrood Hotel
#5 of 7 in Donegal Town
Sandhouse Hotel
Sandhouse Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rossnowlagh

Been to Grand Central Hotel? Share your experiences!