“Would Not Reccomend”

Grand Central Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Bundoran
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I am sorry to say our experience of this hotel is miles away from your recent reviews. Our room was very average in every way, the bed was an ordinary double and the mattress was very uncomfortable. The Tv was old and the picture hazy with no remote control. The furniture was old and decrepit and the view was over the back of the hotel, very unpleasant. We were near the doors leading to the rooms, one of which banged loudly each time anyone went through it, we always held it so it would not bang and disturb other guests (we were on our own in this respect). We asked four times about getting it fixed with no result, until our last night when a wedge was pushed under it. We had dinner on one night, which was very average indeed, frozen mixed veg, which had one small piece of carrot and was barely warm, same for the mash and overcooked chicken. The wine was nice!

Three women were staying for one night only and the room cost them 117 euros, that didn't include breakfast, which was nothing to write home about. They were not pleased with the state of the hotel as they had stayed some years before and it was quite good then.

I have to agree that the staff were all very friendly and that is the best I can say for this hotel!!

Room Tip: There isn't one, sorry.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
ShielaMcGrath, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2014

Dear Guest,
Apologies for the delay in responding to you. I am sorry that you did not get the experience that our many repeat guests have had. I have had a look in our report book and for the month in question I could not see that there was any problems with our TVs, and TV remotes if not in the room can be requested at the front desk. As regards the view unfortunately we cannot provide a sea/mountain view for every room (though we would like to) but again these can be requested at time of booking. I will look into the issue of the door and can only apologise for the inconvenience this caused. Our restaurant is highly regarded and previous guests statements will stand testament. The cost you have stated here is for 3 adults including breakfast, which is a very competitive rate. I only hope that you may consider us in future so that we may get the chance to change your opinion on us and show you what a truly “Grand” experience you can have.

There are newer reviews for Grand Central Hotel

Reviewed 18 May 2014

My Boyfriend and I ( this is on his account ) stayed here for a long weekend trip away, when we arrived we were greeted by the most pleasant young man, Lee, who seemed very young but was also very mature. The Hotel itself was absolutely spotless and our room was very warm and cosy. We had tea & coffee facilities in our room which was great as my boyfriend is a coffee addict haha.
The bar manager and Sheila the GM could not have done more for us, everything we asked for was provided with a smile which was very refreshing. I must say all the staff here were very professional in everything they did. We are planning my sisters Hen party for next year and will definitely be booking here!!..Outstanding quality and service, I highly recommend The Grand Central Hotel!"! :)

Room Tip: try and get a room overlooking the sea :)
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank James Dunleavy D

Dear Guest,

I would like to express my gratitude to you for taking the time out to write your review. It is always a bonus to hear that our guests have felt they have been looked after and enjoyed their stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand Central Hotel.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Stayed here from a Monday to a Wednesday and could have stayed another week!! Was fantastic from start to finish.
On arriving we were greeted by the most pleasant receptionist. Originally we had booked for one night but asked about any deals that would be available should we decide to stay another, and were delighted with what we offered and booked the two immediately!! On the first night we dined in the bar, having the bar food menu, which was delicious. The portions are ENORMOUS. The second night we had the four course meal which was included in the price which again was fantastic, and again HUGE. The breakfast too was great.
The bedroom was spacious and had a great seaview.
The staff could not have been more obliging and welcoming from start to finish. The night porter, Paddy, could not have done enough for us both nights.
Would definitely recommend this hotel, the staff make it

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your review. It is a pleasure to know that our guests have enjoyed their stay and left with such high regards of the staff and hotel. We hope that we may get the chance again to welcome you back.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Visited this hotel for bar food with other family members. Wide choice of menu available for all ages. I had a turkey and cranberry wrap with side salad and chips which was very filling, tasty and good value at €6.50. Another family member had soup and brown bread which she enjoyed for only €4. The staff members checked with us three times to see if everything was ok and if we needed anything else. Would definitely recommend this venue for the bar food, cosy premises and pleasant helpful staff.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest

Apologies for the delay but I wanted to take the opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a review. It has provided a huge moral boost to the staff to know that their efforts have been appreciated. We hope that in the future you may return to the Breakers Bar and see our continued effort to create a pleasant, comfortable and friendly atmosphere for our guests dining pleasures.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Myself and my partner stayed here for a 5 night break and had a wonderful time!!
All the staff were very helpful reception staff, cleaners and restaurant staff. We were greeted by a very cheerful receptionist who seemed interested in us as people rather than just 'another guest' & offered us lots of information about the surrounding area and the best places to visit to make the most of our short visit.
We were shown to our room by a polite young man, and were pleasantly suprised by the room which had everything we needed, and was very clean. The view was great, especially in the evening times as the sun was setting. The room was cleaned daily with new towels and bedsheets. (I now this because my partner lives and dies by his religious self tanning which often messes my sheets).
The restaurant was always set well throughout the day from breakfast to evening dinner. The food was very good, not too flashy offering a large choice even the fussiest of eaters could find something to feed their appetites and we had nothing but compliments to the chef for everything we ordered.
The waiting/bar staff were great at there jobs, very attentive, making sure our drinks were topped up and checking to make sure we had everything we needed.
We would both like to thank all at the grand central for a fab stay.....you have a good team who do a great job making guests feel welcome.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank xaqualadyx
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I stayed in this hotel recently and i thought it was great value for money. The rooms were kept clean daily with fresh bedding and towels. The staff were very helpful and could not do enough for you. The breakfast was cooked nicely with plenty of choices and was fresh too. Went out for the day and came back to smiles all round from the friendly staff. The dinner was amazing with fresh food all round. We stayed in the bar for the night and was treated to fantastic entertainment. I would highly recommend this hotel to future guests and cannot wait to return again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fhughes2
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I received extremely poor service from this hotel on 8th & 9th of August 2013. My sister-in-law booked this hotel on our behalf, due to the central location to all the local amenities.

On arriving in Bundoran my partner initially enquired at reception about check-in, only to be greeted in a rude manner and told check-in was not until 3pm.

We returned at 3.20pm, only to be informed our room wasn't ready and we would have to wait. Finally checking in at no point were we given any information relating to the services available on our booking or within your hotel. When we checked into or room and I could only describe what was a fusty smell in our room and in the quilt covers and pillows, I now realise this must have been due to the fact we had been booked into smoking room with 2 young children on a smoking floor.

On coming and leaving our room there was the constant smell of smoke in the hall way. We did not realise we were booked onto a smoking floor until the end of our stay when we complained. Only to be told if we had mentioned earlier we would have been moved. As far as we were aware all hotels are non smoking, so did not realise.

During our stay our children wanted a bath but the bath taps were seized, thankfully my partner is a plumber so was able to rectify the problem ourselves. I telephoned the reception to enquire if we had breakfast included with our booking (as this was not mentioned when we checked in), and was informed it was included and the times we could go to breakfast.

Our first breakfast experience was a disaster, firstly the staff was still setting out the tables when we arrived and for the duration of our breakfast. Our table was not set out correctly with all the utensils needed, which we sourced ourselves and also the food was cold. At this point I did mention to a member of staff my egg was cold to which he replied "What do you want me to do about it...put it in the microwave" then proceeded to walk away from our table. I did approach the receptionist about my experience at breakfast, but wasn't greeted in the warmest of manners and did not have any feedback about this issue.

On the first evening we decided to stay at the hotel for our evening meal - which we paid for! Upon going back to our room we were greeted by a horrendous smell in the hallway on the way back to our room. We noticed a pile of dirty laundry left in a pile, so can only come to the conclusion another guest at the hotel had soiled the sheets only to be left for other guests to breath in the awful smell.

On the final morning of our stay I and my two children went for breakfast, the experience to begin with was much improved on the previous day. I was informed however that our package included a two course evening meal, only then to be told not more than two minutes later by another member of staff it didn't!

I was then approached by the duty manager informing our package did include a two course evening meal. I explained I was not aware we were entitled to a meal and she became very stand offish and said that it wasn't the fault of the hotel but our fault as customer's to be fully informed of what we had booked. I explained my sister-in-law booked it on our behalf and she had not been informed our package included a two course evening meal.

I ran through some of my concerns with her but she only offered a "complimentary" lunch because we hadn't had our meals. As we were checking out straight after breakfast we did not accept the lunch offer. I was really upset at this point as a member of staff informed me on the day we were leaving about the meals and also proceeded to discuss this point whilst I was trying to eat my breakfast, which inevitably went cold.

My partner went to reception to complain about all our issues, at that point the "Duty Manager" informed my partner that she was not in fact the manager. My partner left his contact number and e-mail address but to date we have not received a response.

I am extremely disappointed in the service we received from this hotel and had an unpleasant stay and experience.

I am writing this review to highlight the catalogue of poor service and issues we as a family received at this hotel. I did give the hotel time to comment and provide us with a response but again to date we have not received one.

My sister -in- law has also contacted the hotel but also has not received a response.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
14  Thank BDH123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bundoran
The Holyrood Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rossnowlagh
The Abbey Hotel
The Abbey Hotel
#6 of 7 in Donegal Town

Been to Grand Central Hotel? Share your experiences!