“Very Disappointing”

Grand Central Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Bundoran
“Very Disappointing”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Stayed for 2 nights with husband and small child. Will never be back. First room smelled of urine, changed easily enough but second room had countless issues. No bin, no blinds, bed broken, old TV bracket left sticking out of wall, loads of mildew above bath, silver fish insects on bathroom floor (sign of damp), rust on chrome shower rail and fittings, toilet seat not secure, furniture old and very dated, clean only to an untrained eye, generally felt very rundown, need I continue! Could have complained but after first room, couldn't be bothered. Didn't spend a lot of time in room and just wanted to get through the 2 days to make my child smile. Staff were friendly and bar area was nice with entertainment. Only plus was that it was central to everything of interest. Paid 190 euros for it and have paid less for more modern and beautiful hotels. I expect a response from the hotel asking why I didn't tell them about the second room but im pretty sure all the rooms were to this standard so there was no point. I couldn't refuse to stay either as they would have charged my credit card anyway.

Room Tip: Don't stay or pay for a room that you are not happy with.
3 Thank lubaloo2014
ShielaMcGrath, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 7 September 2014
Dear Guest
I am deeply sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I apologise that your room was not up to our usual standards and I can assure you this is not the norm. We do ask that all guests report any issues that arise during their stay to us so that we may have the chance to rectify them. We here at the Grand Central pride ourselves on our cleanliness and good value for money . If you could send your contact details, to manager@grandcentralbundoran.com then I would very much appreciate an opportunity to discuss your stay with us directly.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Ballymena, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay in the hotel which was well situated in the middle of the town of Bundoran. The staff were very friendly and approachable. The only real compliant would be the cleanliness of the rooms. The rooms appear a little predated and could do with being a bit modernised but comfortable to sleep in.
Also as a non smoker something that would disappoint me was the cigarette butts lying outside the doors of the hotel would appear as off putting.
Hopefully should I return maybe things would be a little more modern.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Central B, Receptionist at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Thank you Paul for such a lovely review. I am sorry to hear that you felt your room was pre-dated, but I can assure you that our rooms are thoroughly cleaned every day & they do go through regular inspections on a daily basis. We are currently in the process of modernizing all of our rooms, but like everything, this takes time and effort and we will get there eventually. We do, genuinely look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the Grand Central in the near future.

Warm regards.
Reviewed 15 August 2014

stayed in the hotel this week,3 nights we had a looking time,we ate in hotel the 3 nights,food was good,good value,def go for the burger and pint 10euro,good entertainment in bar. the rooms are dated,but they are def clean.which was good for me. lovely staff. would be happy to stay again.

Room Tip: i had 2 kids with me,got room back of hotel,which i did.quieter.
Dear Linda,

Thank you for such a nice review. I am ecstatic to read that everything you experienced during your stay was up to parr. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future!

Warm regards.
County Meath, Ireland
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Didn't stay at the hotel but our family visited the bar / restaurant for dinner ... What a mistake . The service was really bad .... Left waiting at bar for approx 20 mins initially ... Orders were taken at the same time but 2 of our party ate 20 minutes ahead of the rest of us ...one of the waitresses was super rude , when we asked for some red sauce for the kids she literally threw some sachets on the table with a huge attitude problem . Horrendous . The barman seemed to be serving the bar and restaurant which may be why there are huge delays ... Another couple walked out when we were there ...they were fed up waiting . Toilets are not the best either ...
Avoid this place if you are looking for professional , friendly service. If you have plenty of time to wait to be served and like grumpy waitresses this might be the place for you !!! We definitely won't be back.

1 Thank Rois22
Dear Guest,

I apologise that on the day you visited us that our service was not up to standard. As with all food service businesses at peak times there can be delays. I have spoken to our waiting staff who I must say are normally far from “grumpy”. I have also question our kitchen staff as to why your meals were served separately as this is not a normal occurrence. I hope that this will not put you off coming back to The Breakers Bar as I can assure you that what you experienced is not a regular occurrence here. Both our food and friendly service are highly regarded by our hotel guests and repeat visitors to our bar and restaurant. If you would like to discuss your visit to the hotel further then please do not hesitate to contact me directly manager@grandcentralbundoran.com

Travellers are raving about these Bundoran hotels

Mullingar
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Stayed here for a weekend with daughter. Lovely staff esp reception and waiting/bar staff. Room fine apart from a bit of a whiff off carpet. Offered to move us but we didn't really want to pack and unpack again. housekeeping used Shake and Vac a couple of times and it helped. We were happy to stay in our first floor room rather than move to fifth floor.
Old TV with non working remote but then we weren't there to watch TV. Furniture dated but clean. Lovely bar food. good entertainment on both nights. Very central. Would happily stay again. Thanks all.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Pollydolly47
Central B, Receptionist at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you for such a kind review, Pollydolly47.

Firstly I would like to apologise for this late response and secondly for the smell of the carpet in your room during your stay. I thank you for bringing this to our attention before you checked-out as it gave us the chance to rectify this before you departed, which we did to the best of our ability. We are ever so happy that you were happy with your stay and we do hope that you stay with us again in the near future.

Warm Regards.
Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Myself, my partner and our son spent one night in this hotel and needless to stay we will never be back. Our room was very average, the furniture was old and very dated! The tv was old and the picture hazy with no remote control. The main room door and the bathroom door was very hard to open and close which was not very safe with a young child in the room. Shower was not working and we had no cold water tap! The restaurant had sticky floors and has a musty smell so we moved to the bar were we had a very average dinner - barey warm.

I was very disappointed with my stay as the room cost us €103 for one night. For this, I expect more. We would not stay here again!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Jolene38
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are currently in the process of updating some of our rooms but as with all good things this will take time. We currently have some deluxe rooms which not only boast breathtaking mountain views and amazing ocean scenes but also come equipped with a flat screen TV and a comfy sitting area. I am not sure what room you had stayed in but we will look into the situation regarding the door. We have installed some new showers that possess a water stop button which when pushed will constrict the flow of water completely, all our staff are fully equipped to fix this should the need arise. It is imperative that guests alert staff to any and all issues that arise during their stay so that we may be given a chance to rectify the problems. I am assuming that by “no cold water tap” you meant you were unable to get cold water from your tap and again I must stress how important it is to make staff aware of any issues as maintenance issues can arise anywhere and are unable to be fixed if not reported. I hope that you may give us another chance to let you experience what our many repeat guests have enjoyed. Please contact me directly if you would like to discuss your stay further manager@grandcentralbundoran.com
Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I was away for an overnight stay with 17 others as it was my neices hen party,on arrival they want to charge every one an extra 11 euros because they had put us on the same floor which had not asked for.The manager came down and did give us the rooms at the rate that was quoted.On my arrival back to the hotel after a night out my friend and I asked the night porter if we could have a drink and his reply was the bar is closed and its bedtime.II thought if you were a resident you could get served at any time.I just found the staff to be rude and we would stay there again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Marie Q
Dear Guest

I apologise for the confusion that you dealt with regarding rates. We aim to ensure that group bookings are placed on the same floor. The disagreement in charges was quickly dealt with and we did indeed give everyone deluxe rooms without charging the deluxe prices. A resident’s bar is only open at the discretion of the hotel and it is my understanding that the night porter that night had decided to close it earlier than usual due to hassle he had encountered. It is our policy to put the guests and staffs safety and well being first and if this means curbing the consumption of alcohol I think you will agree that this is a necessary step. Again I am sorry that this happened to happen on the night you were staying with us. I hope that in the future you may give the Grand Central another chance so that you may experience the best of what we have to offer. If you would like to discuss your stay with me further then please do not hesitate to contact me manager@grandcentralbundoran.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bundoran
The Holyrood Hotel
The Central Hotel - Donegal
The Central Hotel - Donegal
#5 of 7 in Donegal Town
Bay View Hotel & Leisure Centre

Been to Grand Central Hotel? Share your experiences!