“Holyrude hotel”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Bundoran
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Holyrude hotel”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Grabone vouchers, groupon vouchers, livingsocial vouchers, etc, we all love them, cause ya usually get a good deal, but this one is a deal that represents, ya get what ya pay for, jee wizz it was poor.

day one in the holyrood hotel, we got welcomed after 5 minutes standing at reception, nobody was on the desk, after being noticed, we got our room, it wasnt bad the room, but it didnt have a sea view, so when we requested a sea view room, we were put to top of the building in a squashed wee room, couldnt swing a cat in it, then to our amusement, we had a bad that was sunking into the floor, a real shabby job, we almost needed step ladders to get down to the bath, oh the laughs we had about that bath.......the best thing I enjoyed from the bath was the view of the dirt that was under the toilet, yes cause the bath was sunk into the ground u could see all the grime under the toilet, lol, it was a pleasure.
hada good nights sleep on day one.

Day two in the holrood hotel, we got up early after a nice sleep, went down for breakfast, and it was definitly a first that id had leather with my fry up, the bacon, was like leather, at one point I actually asked for a sharp knife to get into the bacon, lol, it was bad, the potato bread, geez it was like it was in the freezer from like 2012 took out, cooked and refroze then cooked and fired onto a plate for our fryup, lol, it was tough as old boots, and if u are thinking about attemping either the potato bread or bacon, ask for a steak knife cause the embarrassment of grinding ur teeth trying to cut through potato bread is pathetic looking, lol.
roll on dinner.......
Surely breakfast was cooked by a hungover chef just, lol....spent rest of the day outside of the hotel, walking round the scenic route, back for a snooze then up for dinner.............
it started of with theres the menu, be back in a minute, minute was up and orders were put in for starters and dinners, and this is seriously no joke, our starters were literally brought to us within 30 seconds, my chicken goujons were rock hard, obviously sitting in oven the whole time and whacked on to a plate with bita salad and drizzle, same goes with the seafood, bang wallop on a plate within 30 seconds or starters wer on the table, my dried up goujons were terrible , I made it through the starter with my teeth intact, phew, bring on the chicken curry, to which I couldnt fault, portions were very big and stuffed me, so due to me not eatin much of starter I ate the big portioned chicken curry and left me with little room for alcohol so It was an early night for us.
day three in the holyrood hotel
breakfast is getting hit today again, surely it was a one of the brekkie yesterday, full fry up for me plz, as soon as it arrived, bang, ya knew by just looking at it, that the bacon had a leather jacket on it and the fork wasnt making a dent in the potato bread, so it was toast and eggs for me, I left annoyed as I knew I had another 2 breakfasts to go with them.
we didnt eat in the hotel on the 3rd night, instead we opted for a nice Chinese local to the hotel, brought it back to the hotel and sat in with few drinks and snacks watching bit of tv, we were woken by crowds at around 1am, outside in the main street shouting and balling, this is of no fault of the holyrood I dont think, but probably just local punters enjoying themselves.
noise went on for another hour or so.
day four in holyrood
I wasnt being fooled into trying a fry up again today, instead I tried scrambled egg and sausages, but again it failed to deliver, when it arrived the scrambled egg was cold and wasnt enjoyable, so breakfast was cut short and we went on our search for a warm breakfast elsewhere, we got a dinner on our final night also, dinner on final night was average, starter was potato boats with a tin of chicken soup over it, seriously thats what it tasted like, the main, I tried salmon, I enjoyed it out of all of them dishes, and the deserts were obviously just bought from lidl from behind the hotel, not one was a homemade desert, I mean how hard is it to mess jelly and ice cream up, I was having to dig into my jelly to get a scoup, just completely poor overall food, and the bar staff are working in between serving ppl dinners from kitchen and getting u a drink, u can be waiting a while on a pint to... Sheer madness, it was an experience I will remember, but I certainly wont be back in the holyrood hotel in my liftime again

• Stayed May 2014
4 Thank PaddyIreland_07
Management321, Manager at The Holyrood Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Guest, thank you for your comments. I would like to assure you that your comments have been taken very seriously and I have discussed your comments in details with our head chef who was very upset by your remarks. The Holyrood Hotel is a family run operation and it is not our policy to have patrons leave unhappy with the service and hospitality offered and we are very sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Travelled recently with a group of friends, celebrating a hen party we had a fantastic time, all the staff were fantastic and very welcoming. The outstanding award goes to the breakfast staff who couldn't do enough for us and went out of their way to please and accommodate us. A big thank you girls they even managed to seat us all together even though they were busy, full marks to the observant waitress who recognised two of us from a former stay that's the difference that makes a friendly hotel. The selection of danish's ,croissants and breads available is lovely when we asked about the brand of the brown bread our waitress went out of her way explaining what bread it was and even showed us the packaging so we could buy some to bring home we were told this comes from a local bakery and I commend the Holyrood for supporting local business. An enjoyable stay thank you everyone

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Management321, Manager at The Holyrood Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay at the Holyrood Hotel. We are delighted that you and your friends were satisfied with the hospitality and service you received during your time with us. I have passed on your kind words to our breakfast staff.

We hope to welcome you again in the near future.
Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2014

My wife and i really enjoyed our stay. Lovely sea view room to front of hotel. Double room en-suite with large TV and tea making facility. Very cosy, warm and inviting. Staff were very polite and friendly. Food was delicious.
Give this hotel a thumbs up and a 5 * rating.

Martin & Teresa (Derry City)

Room Tip: Request room onto front as sea view is beautiful.
Dear Guest,

We hope to welcome you again in the near future.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Without a question THE worst 'hotel' i ever stayed in.
Health & Safety authorities WILL be informed about this.

Room 305

+Receptionist was very nice
+Location is good

- Very moldy and damp, woke up with allergic reaction.
- Food is a DISASTER. Burned waffles for breakfast or some-kind of glue-like substance they called porridge. My boyfriend is not a fussy eater but he didn't touch this "porridge" after first spoonful. Irish breakfast was no better, sausages must been sitting in the freezer since last year. I personally think chef left them with pre-made food when the high season was over and is due to be back in June.
- Dinner. Another place that seems to think vegetarians have no taste-buds and throwing some vegetables over noodles will impress anyone. Our voucher promised us 4-course meal, we got none.
- Seaside hotel and we got a wonderful view of the parking lot. The window was foggy and condensed, another proof how damp this place is.
- Noise from the club. You know its bad when you are able to hear lyrics of the latest trance-song.
- "Spa" - Dark, small and very out of date. No hot shower, i squeezed my sweaty body back into my clothes and went to have a shower in my room. We skipped the seaweed & Hypothermia baths just because we were sick of being disappointed..
- Room itself was large, dark, damp, poorly furnished with out of date furniture. TV was the smallest I ever seen with broken remote control.

I'm sure there ARE some nice rooms in that place because we could clearly see that Hotel's over 50's club who's members stay there every second weekend were regulars and therefore given the 'regular' rooms that probably happened to be nice rooms with sea-view and bit less dampness and mold.
We were so looking forward to our romantic weekend together and I'm so frustrated that it turned out to be a nightmare.

I've done some budget travelling over the years and stayed in some very dodgy places but never as bad as this. As I said, we are not fussy about where we stay but there are some BASIC things that are required! Mold free and clean environment, good night sleep and decent food.

Room Tip: AVOID! Go to a local B&B instead.
5 Thank Fenneki
Dear Guest, thank you for your comments. The Holyrood Hotel is a family run operation and it is not our policy to have patrons leave unhappy with the service and hospitality offered. Bundoran is a seaside resort and at weekends all late night venues have music on. We have a number of sea view rooms available and this are allocated upon request and availability. I have spoken with our head chef about your comments in relation to the food.

We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay.

Travellers are raving about these Bundoran hotels

Omagh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed here for our wedding anniversary and we had a fab time!......staff were friendly the room was lovely great view!.....if staying here ask for room 147 ....bathroom could do with a update but we had no problem with it as we are not that fussy as long as its clean and it was......this hotel is good value for money with the deals the hotel offers, we had 2 nights b&b and 2 evening meals and the food was excellent!!....we stay in bundoran often but this was our first stay here and we will be back.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay at the Holyrood Hotel. We are delighted that you were satisfied with the hospitality and service you received during your stay. Congratulations on your anniversary.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2014

This is an old fashioned hotel and as other reviews have stated it needs both refurbishment and a less complacence view about how they could attract more people out of season. Season being interpreted as July, August and Bank Holidays. Although to be fair to the hotel, this seems to be the general view in Bundoran and nearly everything was closed to us in the first week in May, including the water complex during the week.
Specific comments
1. Limited refurbishment seems to be going on in the afternoons, which made our room noisy.
2. The plumbing was very noisy and meant thinking twice about using the bathroom in the middle of the night!
3. The hotel spa is good and a reasonable swimming pool, but it would be useful to be informed when swimming lessons are taking place, so you could avoid them.
4. Like others have mentioned - broken tiles, distressed carpets and curtains, filthy carpet in main corridor from hotel to spa.
I think we all have higher expectations of hotels now and what may have been satisfactory 20 years ago isn't now. It is depressing and only beautiful Donegal, the Atlantic Way and the promenade (still to be completed) saved the holiday for us.

1 Thank PJo459
Management321, Manager at The Holyrood Hotel, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Dear Guest, thank you for your comments. I would like to assure you that your comments have been taken very seriously and these matters were discussed on Friday at our head of department meeting. Our maintenance man has looked at the flush in the toilet of your allocated room, which you said you found noisy. The Holyrood Hotel is a family run operation and it is not our policy to have patrons leave unhappy with the service and hospitality offered. Bundoran is a seaside resort and like most seaside towns it is busy during the summer months and at weekends. I am sorry if you felt that all local amenities were not open. The atmosphere in the town midweek is more relaxed and visitors usually come to enjoy the magnificent coastal walks and explore the magical North West. If you would like to discuss your stay with me in more detail please don't hesitate to contact the Hotel 00353 719841232.
Cavan, Ireland
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Very pleasent stay. Pleasent friendly staff. Last time I stayed I had a beautiful big room (147) which I assumed was standard. This time I got 149 and it was big and comfortable but not quite as nice. When I enquired at reception I was told that 147 was bridal suite whichI had got by luck. !49 was quite big and comfortable but no wow factor (still the old ctr TV).
Dinner was good and good service. Breakfast is good with plenty of bread rols and danish as well as toast and brown but second morning the rols and danish had dissapeared. Fry is cooked individualy and staff very pleasent and efficient.
Leisure center is excellent.
This is an old hotel so don't expect everything to be most modern. I expect if you are in the front that there could be some noise at weekends.
For the midday snack(Lunch) try the little cafe (Wave) few doors up the street to the right . Great food and lovely people but not so well advertise outside.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Management321, Manager at The Holyrood Hotel, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you taking the time to post a review of your stay at the Holyrood Hotel. We are happy that overall you enjoyed your second stay with us. We try our best to accommodate all requests so if re booking let us know you prefer a certain room number and we will check the availability of that room on your requested dates.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bundoran
Great Northern Hotel
Sandhouse Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rossnowlagh
Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa
Yeats Country Hotel, Spa and Leisure Centre

Been to The Holyrood Hotel? Share your experiences!