“Not up to standard”

Ranked #3 of 35 Restaurants in Bundoran
Price range: US$4 - US$33
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We are a homely bar & restaurant just of the main street with a full bar available. We cater for all occasions and our is aim is to provide you the most enjoyable relaxing evening possible, from when you com in the door you can sit and relax in-front of the open fire in our bar and have a drink while we take your order and prepare you food an once ready you will be shown to you table in our tranquil dinning room.
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Family outing. Lady taking order a bit staid. Place was cold. I ordered scallops and they were received drenched in a cheese sauce. Was disgusted. Scallops cut up into small pieces and also dish infiltrated with prawns which was not stated in the menu. I couldn't tell what fish was in the dish and was left quite full up due to the amount of heavy cheese sauce. My chowder was also tasteless. I used the toilets and the toilet bowl was so disgusting I couldn't go back to it. I am giving this a 2 because some my other family members had a lovely meal. I will never go back to this place again or recommend it as I feel I was deceived by the menu and disgusting toilet. Waitresses were lovely. Much more welcoming and friendly. I feel this place has a local clientele therefore they not out to impress new custom.

1  Thank CTW2014

Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

My dad has always rated this place and I have never tried it so coming down to bundoran my dad insisted he took us for a meal here. There was my mum, dad, partner, myself and my 8 year old son and 2 year old daughter. We booked the table for 7pm on arrival we went into a small bar area were we sat and had a drink and ordered our meal. Everyone ordered a steak including my son from the kids menu. Well the food was delicious the steaks were cooked to perfection and the sides that came with the meal was to die for. We all had starters as well and there was no complaints. I can't remember the last time we had a meal so good. The price was very reasonable for 4 starters, 4 steaks, 1 kids steak, 1 kids dinner, 2 extra side orders and an ice cream the cost was just over €100. Can't wait to go back.

1  Thank angela m
Reviewed 10 December 2013

This is a lovely restaurant, there is a bar area where drinks are served on arrival. The staff are very friendly. Our food order was taken while we had a drink in the bar. We were brought into the restaurant when our starters were ready. The scallops were devine, the main course of lamb, and Chicken stuffed with crab were cooked perfectly and the sauces were amazing. Wer had desserts of Christmas pudding and Chocolate cake, both were delicious. There is an excellent choice on the menu. This is an excellent restaurant and I would highly recommeded it.

1  Thank Rosaleen47
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We went to the Fox's Lair on a recommendation but weren't expecting such remarkable food. The first taste was one of those moments where you stop and think how?... and why?... in a little place like Bundoran? It was incredibly good. We were first taken into the bar for a drink and to study the menu. We ordered starters (crab claws and scallops) and mains (sea trout and monkfish tails). After a while, our table was ready. The scallops were the best I've ever had. The house wine was really good too for the price. The fish was delicious and the sauce was excellent. The vegetables were just right and the chips were to die for. The desserts looked wonderful, but we reckoned we couldn't do them justice and opted to share a cheese plate instead. This is a superb restaurant and we will definitely be back, because I'd like to try the desserts and I've read here that the steaks are very good. Next time I'm in the vicinity, I'm going to eat there again! Excellent food and great value!

1  Thank Willy B
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Just finished a meal in The Foxe's Lair, Bundoran. We went there on recommendation and we weren't disappointed. Initially shown to the bar for a drink and to study the menu, we sat next to an open fire in comfortable surroundings. We chose from the Set menu, great value at two courses for €20' three for €25. We ordered Mussels and the Deep fried Brie for starters and both went for Sirloin Steaks as a main. The starters were delicious. The steaks were just magnificent. Both cooked to perfection, served with peppered sauce and a medley of perfectly cooked vegetables and chips. We both struggled to finish and any intention of a dessert disappeared due to the size of the main. Staff were friendly and merited a tip. I really would have liked to have tried a dessert (I had spied another table receiving what looked like a delicious choice), but neither of us had any space left. This is a superb restaurant and we will definitely be back, but do not eat too much the day you go! Great food, great service and tremendous value.

1  Thank Michael D