“The best pound for pound farm attraction in Ireland!”
Review of Newbridge House

Newbridge House
Ranked #1 of 9 things to do in Donabate
Reviewed 25 May 2013

Newbridge farm and gardens are based a few miles from my home in Swords and we visit regularly.Over the years we have visited a few other open farms around the country,Newgrange, Glendeer pet farm, Balykeenan pet farm Co.Carlow,Glenroe Co Wicklow,Grove Garden Kells,Tayto park, Dublin Zoo,Gosford in Northern Ireland plus others! When you have young children you can clock up a lot of sunday day trips! All of these places have their merits and demerits.

However,I have come to the conclusion that Newbridge pet farm is the best because it is reasonably priced as it is run by the local authority,there is not a huge emphasis on making a profit .There is a wide variety of animals and outside there is a fine free playground and green area for walking and picnics.

It is possible to find a few gripes (see other reviews!).For me, euro for euro it is the best and luckily right on my doorstep...

All reviews
"relaxing walk"
"all age groups"
"nice place to visit"

Reviewed 7 May 2013

This is a review of the Farm, not the House. Myself, my daughter and my granddaughter visited one day after bank holiday - and were very grateful for the lack of crowds! However, my daughter is in a wheelchair and the place was, initially, a nightmare. Gravel pathways from the car park to the entrance, then waiting for the gate to be opened (thus avoiding the narrow corridors and stairs) were not too much of a problem. However, you are then faced with not one, but two, large cobbled courtyards - I was forced, through necessity, to walk backwards and pull the wheelchair - pushing was just not an option. We also had to negotiate a step. Thankfully, once we navigated those courtyards, the pathways were well-trodden ground and much easier for the wheelchair. Having said all that, the farm itself was lovely - acres of well maintained ground with different farm animals dotted around in pens - and some very friendly goats out of their pens and ripe for stroking! Plenty of space for picnics. Once we had re-negotiated the nightmare cobbles to get back to the cafe, despite many signs around advertising soft ice-cream, it turned out that (due to 'unexpected' heavy bank holiday crowds) they had run out of ALL ice-cream and ALL lollies!!
We then went on to the adventure playground (thankfully, tarmac all the way!) which was great, with a good variety of items even for toddlers.
All in all, it was a lovely visit but I do think they could - and should - make the whole thing much more disabled-friendly just by the addition of a smooth path across/around the cobbles.

1  Thank Trish S
Reviewed 1 May 2013

My adult family of 3 toured the house in a group that included just us. Wonderful opportunity to ask questions of our very knowledgeable tour guide Jack. We avoided the farm tour as many families with young children were visiting that day. Lovely cafe with baked goods; a little high priced in my opinion but tasty. Small inside seating area but many picnic tables outside for dining or snacks. Paved walking trails, one of which lead into the village of Donabate. A variety of specially organized activities were available during the year...wish I had been able to stay long enough to try the baking course! Length of visit will depend on whether you tour both the house and farm and stop for snacks.

Reviewed 29 April 2013

I have been going to Newbridge House and Farm for years now. The farm is beautiful with a lovely walk around it. I really recommend this for families! Buggy friendly! Great day out when not raining!