“A little gem”

The Waterside House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Donabate
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I stayed one night here last week for a mini-break. I happened to get great weather and hotel was very peaceful. All staff I met were helpful and friendly, and I had a most enjoyable stay. Room was comfortable, bed especially so - balcony overlooking the sea - so peaceful, no traffic sounds, only the waves. Beautiful bedside lamps - wish I knew where I could get same! I'm used to staying in hotels with help-yourself-breakfasts, which is usually fine - but I had forgotten how nice it is to have breakfast, full Irish, cooked fresh. The Waterside hotel cooked my breakfast perfectly, and there was lots of it - all delicious! I mentioned I was gluten-intolerant to the lady serving and she brought out delicious toasted gluten free bread with my breakfast. I had room service dinner the previous evening, which was delivered promptly, hot and tasty. Yes, this hotel does cater for many weddings - it seems to be a large part of its income, so be warned - I would not stay here for a peaceful break whilst a wedding party were celebrating and staying overnight ! But, if you catch a break here during 'wedding free' days - well, you could find yourself enjoying a little 'piece of heaven', in a clean, comfortable, friendly hotel in the most lovely surroundings - sounds of the sea to lull you to sleep, magnificent views, and delightful cliff walks! No traffic sounds at all - and all this only approx 15km from Dublin city! I was truly sorry to leave and definitely will be back again.

Room Tip: Definitely the rooms facing the sea, with the balconies are the best. Also furthest away from the b...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 1 May 2014

We had a small wedding in April and the whole day was brilliant. We didn't go with a package. The staff, venue, food, rooms were all top class. Fiona was so easy to work with & everything went to plan. All our guests thoroughly enjoyed themselves. The only negative is that we couldn't stay longer. Thank you to all at the Waterside Hotel, Donabate.

Room Tip: Spectacular sea view
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank d0lly08
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We booked our Wedding at the Waterside Feb 2013.

From the 1st meeting to the morning we checked out after the wedding the staff could not have done more to help us especially Fiona.

I cannot recommend this hotel enough, all the vendors that take part in the wedding package are great as well

Keep up the good work :-)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mandyb1980
Reviewed 5 April 2014

We had our wedding there in March 2014. We had a fabulous day and we were really taken care of from the time we booked the wedding the previous year till the time we checked out. We booked one of the package deals which was great value for money, the vendors, like florist, band, photographer and car was top quality and great people to deal with. The staff in the hotel were so nice and friendly and the food was amazing as usual. All in all The Waterside made our wedding plans a complete breeze. Oh, the reception was so beautiful, the chair covers, chandeliers on the tables really beautiful. All our family & friends had a ball.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I don't understand the other negative reviews. I had an unplanned stay of almost a week here after an unexpected travel delay while trying to fly standby out of Dublin in August. (Don't try to fly standby out of Dublin in August) The hotel is in an idylic seaside location 10 min by car from the airport and 10 -15 min stroll from the Donabate train station (for commute in to Dublin.) The downstairs rooms were up-to-date, spacious, and comfortable, but after seeing the view from upstairs, I requested a change to one of those much smaller, more dated upstairs rooms; it was well worth it for the wonderful view of the surf. The staff was wonderful, food was very good, and the walking trails up and down the rocky coastline from the hotel were fantastic; I even spotted a whale one day. The hotel offers a free airport shuttle, making this a far more pleasant pre-trip stay than one of the generic airport hotels, and the train station (to get in to Dublin) is a pleasant 10-15 min walk down a quite country road. I will make this my base on our next trip to Dublin and look forward to quiet evenings here after hectic days in town.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms are smaller and simpler but have outstanding sea and surf views. Downstairs rooms wer...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We booked at meeting with the hotel wedding coordinator for a review of their package and to be shown around as any normal hotel would do if they wanted your business. The woman was late and and very rude while going through the package with me and my fanciee.The meeting was at 2 o'clock and we left the hotel at 2:15 she was that quick. We feel like we were treated really badly in this place, we didn't even get offered tea. We walk out of the hotel feeling like we were over talk too and like that we interrupted the women's lunch and that we were just there for the crack. If any of you couples are looking at of cheap packages for your wedding this place is not the place. They have a sister hotel which we visited and is much nicer and the staff and wedding coordinator are too and do the same packages but the hotel & location it has some faults as well. The package is great and cheap but venue and wedding coordinator not.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank McAttack43
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Stayed at the hotel for a wedding months back. The room we had was nothing like the online photos. Dated and in need of TLC. We were paying by cash and and had to pay on arrival. Never had to do this before. We retired to our room at a reasonable time and were kept awake the entire night by some other wedding guests, shouting,roaring,fighting, swearing on the corridor. It felt like they were going to end up in our room. No night porter. No sleep. On check out, other guests were complaining and getting nowhere. I spoke to the morning manager who said that when they have weddings they wouldnt normally take bookings from other guests. This was supposed to be an excuse for no porter. It was as if they expect all wedding guests to be disruptive. He asked how I had paid and when I said cash, he replied "oh right"? So my details were taken and was promised that the manager would ring later. He didn't. I rang the next day. Details taken again. No return call. I emailed. No response. Regardles of the night's events and the nature of my complaint, not responding to customers is not the way to go about dealing with complaints. Very disappointed with their customer service.on the plus side it is right beside the beach.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank rollonthehols
Also consider these accommodations in or near Donabate
White Sands Hotel
#1 of 1 in Balbriggan
Island View Hotel
Island View Hotel
#2 of 2 in Malahide

Been to The Waterside House Hotel? Share your experiences!