“Recommend before you fly out of Dublin airport”

The Waterside House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Donabate
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This seaside three star hotel was a total serendipity for us. We just spent here our last night in Ireland before leaving from the Dublin airport. Slightly dated but elegant interior was clean and inviting. Our family stayed in the Eye of Ireland suit. The free WiFi was somewhat weak but available. We ate our dinner in the bistro/ bar with a great beach view. The food and the service were good. We were able to enjoy our lovely evening and morning walks along the beach. It was a very beautiful last day in Ireland. The breakfast was included both the buffet and hot breakfast. The drive to the airport was short and convenient. This hotel seems to specialize in weddings but I would like to emphasize how convenient it is for a night before your flight out of the Dublin airport. We had a renal car but they seem to have a shuttle as well. It is a solid three and a half star hotel. During the summer it probably is packed with beach goers. I was very glad we stopped there.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for The Waterside House Hotel

Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Terrible services, food and unprofessional management.
We waited over an hour for our food to arrive and when the food arrived the order was wrong.
One of the worst places that we ate at whilst in Ireland.
I wouldn't recommend this restaurant to anyone!

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Strawberryblond1984
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I stayed here in April for my sisters wedding and I was the bridesmaid. from the moment we arrived for the Ceremony to the following day leaving, the staff could not take care of us enough.
Fiona the General Manager helped us right up to the day and even the following day sorting out our family with little problems with the rooms and making everything feel like it was no problem to her. the bedrooms are dated and there is a price difference with the Bedrooms and they are not worth the price but we did not spend much time in the rooms . The staff and service was second to none and food was lovely even the next day we had a BBQ and everyone was so relaxed. Our family and friends are still talking about how good the day was. Thank you Fiona and Linda who was the manager with us till the early hours.

Room Tip: we have seen the standard rooms and are dated with eighties style and very small. the newer rooms a...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Where to start with this review. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone the customer service is non existent and the room was horrific. I booked a 1 nights b&b plus evening meal special for the May bank holiday. I have booked many of these deals around the country and for the price I paid (€192 plus booking fee)it was a terrible. To say we were bitterly disappointed with the facilities and the lack of professionalism by the staff at the Waterside Hotel is an understatement. Our room was disappointing from the outset it was dated, grubby (rusty bin in the toilet, stains on the carpet and dirt on the walls on skirting board below the window) and it was very small. We decided we would make the most of it and had our dinner booked for 7 pm. After 6 pm my mother, who is well into her 60's, took a shower and there was no hot water, the shower door was off its rails and couldn't close which created a flood in the bathroom and the noise from the shower was deafening, It was like a drill hammer. I went down to reception to complain and about a half an hour to forty minutes later who we were told was the manager arrived. He checked the shower and confirmed there was no hot water and it would take ten minutes to fix so that we could have hot water. At this stage it was too late for us to take a shower as dinner was booked, we were offered another room but as we had unpacked, it was a one night stay and I had seen the room next door and it looked no more inviting we said no we just wanted to be able to shower. We went for dinner which I have to say was amazing and the guy working there was extremely professional and friendly. In saying that all of the wines I originally ordered from the menu where out of stock. 2 and a half hours later we returned to the room and the shower was exactly as we had left it. The shower door off its runner which was a health hazard as if used it would cause flooding in the bathroom and would be very slippy. We again went down to reception and said we still had no shower facility and it was a basic need, I couldn't believe that this was not fixed while we were at dinner and the staff seemed to think it would just go away by itself. Eventually the shower got fixed by staff. The next morning we arrived down to breakfast, we were told that breakfast was from 8.30 am until 10.30 am and we arrived at 9.45 am. When we arrived there was nothing left of the buffet just cereal, all the breads etc were gone. There was no bowls or glasses so I asked a member of staff for bowls and was grunted at. We tried to get the attention of staff to order our hot breakfast and when we did it again was of a very low standard. A full Irish with mushrooms consisted of half a mushroom and the sausages and bacon was so dried out and overheated. When we went to check out no one asked if we enjoyed or stay which I have never encountered. What I had hoped would be lovely surprise for my mother was ruined by poor service and lack of basic facilities such as a usable shower.

I emailed the manager after my stay with pretty much the contents of this and didn't get a reply. 6 days later I got an email from the hotel asking me to review my stay to which I replied I was disgusted and got no reply to my original email and copied it in. I then got a email asking for my phone number to discuss this with which I replied to and asked to called outside of office hours or emailed. That was 3 days ago and I have heard nothing, my original email was 10 days ago so I felt I had to warn others of this place.
I gave the hotel every opportunity to reply and I feel its only fair to warn others If its basic facilities and customer service you are looking for stay elsewhere. Fawlty Towers is more professional.

Room Tip: Another Hotel
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank FeeDublin
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I stayed one night here last week for a mini-break. I happened to get great weather and hotel was very peaceful. All staff I met were helpful and friendly, and I had a most enjoyable stay. Room was comfortable, bed especially so - balcony overlooking the sea - so peaceful, no traffic sounds, only the waves. Beautiful bedside lamps - wish I knew where I could get same! I'm used to staying in hotels with help-yourself-breakfasts, which is usually fine - but I had forgotten how nice it is to have breakfast, full Irish, cooked fresh. The Waterside hotel cooked my breakfast perfectly, and there was lots of it - all delicious! I mentioned I was gluten-intolerant to the lady serving and she brought out delicious toasted gluten free bread with my breakfast. I had room service dinner the previous evening, which was delivered promptly, hot and tasty. Yes, this hotel does cater for many weddings - it seems to be a large part of its income, so be warned - I would not stay here for a peaceful break whilst a wedding party were celebrating and staying overnight ! But, if you catch a break here during 'wedding free' days - well, you could find yourself enjoying a little 'piece of heaven', in a clean, comfortable, friendly hotel in the most lovely surroundings - sounds of the sea to lull you to sleep, magnificent views, and delightful cliff walks! No traffic sounds at all - and all this only approx 15km from Dublin city! I was truly sorry to leave and definitely will be back again.

Room Tip: Definitely the rooms facing the sea, with the balconies are the best. Also furthest away from the b...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We had a small wedding in April and the whole day was brilliant. We didn't go with a package. The staff, venue, food, rooms were all top class. Fiona was so easy to work with & everything went to plan. All our guests thoroughly enjoyed themselves. The only negative is that we couldn't stay longer. Thank you to all at the Waterside Hotel, Donabate.

Room Tip: Spectacular sea view
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank d0lly08
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We booked our Wedding at the Waterside Feb 2013.

From the 1st meeting to the morning we checked out after the wedding the staff could not have done more to help us especially Fiona.

I cannot recommend this hotel enough, all the vendors that take part in the wedding package are great as well

Keep up the good work :-)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mandyb1980
Also consider these accommodations in or near Donabate
Grand Hotel Malahide
#2 of 2 in Malahide
Bracken Court Hotel
Bracken Court Hotel
#1 of 1 in Balbriggan

Been to The Waterside House Hotel? Share your experiences!