“Wedding at White Sands Hotel,Portmarnock”
Review of White Sands Hotel

White Sands Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Portmarnock
Reviewed 22 January 2012

My Husband and I got married on the 6 august 2011 and had our wedding reception

here at the White Sands Hotel.We would like to thank Helen who is the wedding

co-ordinator and all the staff for all there kind help and attention for making our

wedding day so special.We could not have asked for anything more it was

perfect in every way.We would have know hesitation in recommending the

White Sands Hotel for your special day.

Darren & Johanne Ryan

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 21 January 2012

We stayed twice in one week due to family arriving in from different parts of the world and needing a place to stay while waiting for planes to arrive/depart I found this hotel online offering a good deal and after nearly falling over by the quote we got from the Grand Hotel Malahide of 179e with NO breakfast we scooted over to Portmarnock and were checked in in a flash. My fiancee and our enterage ate three times in the hotel in the evenings. There was a meal deal which included chicken wings with a house sauce which everyone thought was yummy. We stayed in the old part of the hotel the first time and the room was overstuffy but adequate in towels, clean sheets Tv could have had more channels.
On the two occasions we stayed the breakfast was quite early in the morning and there seemed to be only one person on serving - Cold and rather empty we didnt care we were heading off early and it served its function. The second visit was a two nighter and we stayed in the 'modern' part of the hotel which had interconnecting doors and was very adequate for your needs however i didnt like the idea of us being looked in on by the rooms at the other side of the courtyard.They really need potted grasses or trees to shade the nakedness of that space.
There are plenty of bus connections into the city centre 32a/b will get you there in about 3/4s of an hour and go back from Middle Abbey Street. We had a really nice afternoon shopping and came home to a nice steak and bottle of wine.
Now for the only negative thing i have to say about the place. We were woken up by a) the noise from that nightclub and b) a fire alarm (first time I apparently slept through it!) which went off at 2am and again at 8am not impressed at all...so take note hotel management you need to sort out the staff using the emergency exits first thing in the morning.
Also we experienced the broken airconditioning and the lights were impossible to figure out and nearly went mad listening to the fan in the bathroom until i shut the door!
The staff make up more than enough for the few niggles we had Ann was very efficient and friendly and the bar staff accommodating -keep up the good work, try and get more people staying there as the views of howth, irelands eye and lambay are stunning ... thank you for looking after us

Room Tip: Ask for one of the new rooms in the back of the hotel if you are super sensitive to noise or heat!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 January 2012

i was bought a groupon voucher for this hotel as a gift, and after reading the previous reviews i was very cautious as to what it would be like. i was pleasantly surprised.

the hotel and our room was modern and clean.
only complaint about the room was that bed was 2 single beds pushed together, instead of a super king.
the reception staff were very friendly and helpful. the bar had a cosy rustic feel.
the breakfast room was modern and clean, the full irish breakfast arrived promptly and was tasty (mushrooms were greasy but apart from that absolutely no complaints)

the room was not noisy, but perhaps that was because we stayed on a monday (not a club night) and room was at other end of the hotel from the club.

the hotel in general seems to have been very recently updated.

loved the late check out of 12pm

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Couple in 50's purchased a one night stay via www.groupon.ie (discount offers website) which for €49.00 included accomodation, full Irish breakfast for two, free bottle of wine on arrival and free entry to the Hotel's own Tamango Nightclub in November and made booking for Saturday 14th January 2012.

Arrived about 6pm and given room with view of hotel's back carpark. We believe we were originally booked for a room with a view but there was a 21st Birthday party in a room nearby, so the receptionist appeared to change our room to a more quiet location. We were glad of this! Given Room 121 which was spacious and had good closet and drawer space. Hair dryer (decent quality), tea/coffee maker (with instant Bewleys Coffee/Tea/DeCaf), TV, were all provided. Towels were basic but enough for two provided and bathroom was decent size - although one of the long strip lights on the left was burnt out-plenty of light nonetheless. After long day of walking throughout Dublin, we took a rest and then decided to eat in the hotel (as per the drink/drive laws here). We went down to the Oasis Bar and found it very welcoming. It was busy without being uncomfortable and there were plenty of tables available. We sat and a waiter came over and we ordered drinks first while looking at the menue. My husband had the burger with bacon and cheese and chips (french fries). I decided to have the Goats Cheese Salade and a side order of Chips. My husband had a pint of Guinness which was very good and I had a glass of the Hotel's Chardonnay wine which was fine. We only waited about 20 minutes for our meals to come and both were quite good! The price range was @€12.50 per meal and we were so satisfied we didn't have dessert. Our waiter was very good and we felt the service we received was pretty good for a 3 star hotel these days!

The next day we arrived down to find both continental breakfast and full irish Breakfast(buffet) available. Juices included Cranberry, Apple, Orange, cereals included Wheetabix, Bran Flakes, Rice Crispies, Cocoa Pops etc. Croissants, Scones, Toast (White and Brown) were available as well as fresh fruit. Tea and Coffee were brought to your table and if you wanted other than scramble eggs, poached or fried were available to order. Full Irish breakfast included scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, mushrooms, tomatoes and hash browns. The continental breakfast was very good; the Fry was very oily and the hash browns were limp because of this - a bit off-putting so I didn't try these - but the poached egg made to order was fine!

This is an ideal location for business people (ask for a quiet room if a party is on in the hotel), couples, friends and solo travellers. I would not recommend families with young children as the night we were there we could still here music and noise from revellers arriving back to their rooms at 2am. However this did not personally bother us. The views of Dublin Bay were spectacular and the staff were helpful!

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a quiet room if you really need one.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bayberry
Reviewed 15 January 2012

For the price we paid, the staff was excellent.
And the view from the room was great - Ireland's Eye, Howth Head etc

We were there in Aug 2011 and the room was either too warm or too cold.
The trick is to open the window at just the right angle ....

Toilet seat was built so close to the wall that only a child could sit straight on it. And the toilet takes ages to flush - good luck! Enjoy the 'fragrance'.

Otherwise, our stay there was quite pleasant:
- easy access to Dublin city by bus/DART
- beach and golf course directly in front of hotel
- screaming teenagers celebrating Leaving Cert results directly under your window (happens only in August)
- Not far from next 'chipper'/'take away'/'fast food'

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2012

I got a great deal for a night here through a deal that arrived in my inbox, €49 for a room plus a bottle of wine on arrival to include full Irish breakfast. You really couldn't go wrong! Found the customer service person, Ryan, that dealt with us on the phone and through email to be very helpful and efficient, and therefore, I am awarding this hotel a full two stars. Without him, it would be a zero! We arrived on the Monday of Christmas week, there was very little festive cheer about the place, apart from a shabby tree thoughtlessly decorated in the lobby. There were only two other cars in the car park. The lady at the reception desk was waiting for us to arrive, as I very much doubt she had anything else to do. Check in was fast, and off we went to our room. It was clean, but the heating system was a disaster. I never before stayed in a cold hotel room. We took a trip down to the bar, which had a few regulars, it was obvious they were regulars as the language used by one "lady" was not only over-familiar, but it was also very choice. There was no Christmas music being played in the background, or even live music, bearing in mind the hotel were holding a "Customer Appreciation Night" on the night in question. All drinks were €3 that night, so couldn't complain. They were serving food until (I think) 9PM, but they seemed to be obliging the "regulars" after that. Slept well, got up and had a lovely shower the next morning, anticipating a breakfast that I didn't have to prepare myself. Off we went to the restaurant, we were the ONLY people there and it was only 9AM!! The waitress also appeared to be chef and chief bottle-washer. Breakfast was disgusting, I didn't have much of it....but that wasn't the worst....my husband was almost finished eating when a woman walked into the dining area in her pyjamas and dressing gown, scratching herself and asking us if it was "help yerself or wha'?"!!! I am so thankful that whole experience only cost €49. As I already said, only for Ryan, there would be NO stars given. Stay far, far away people!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Groupbooking
Reviewed 7 December 2011

I bought a deal from a well known deal page for one night B &B. I was very disappointed in the room I got, from the website the rooms look lovely and modern. When I bought this deal the impression I got from the website was that rooms are like the ones from the pictures (maybe I am naive).This was not the case. The room was very outdated. I know you do not get the best when you buy a deal but getting a room like that one does not encourage me to go back to the hotel again. It is unfortunate as the room is the only thing I can fault.

Plus sides of this hotel: Staff were really friendly, we got a complimentary bottle of wine on arrival (this was part of the deal) which was lovely and there was plenty of choice for the breakfast. It is very close to the beach, you can get a bus into Malahide if you want nice restaurants.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portmarnock
Portmarnock Hotel and Golf Links
#1 of 1 in Sutton Cross
Island View Hotel
Island View Hotel
#2 of 2 in Malahide

Been to White Sands Hotel? Share your experiences!