“very sad.”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Portmarnock
Naas, Kildare, Ireland
“very sad.”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

when i was a child my Parents use to take me to the Portmarnock Hotel every second week for our tea, when my Children were young i took them to the hotel, it was a lovely warm and cosy hotel.3 years ago we had our wedding in the Sands Hotel as i wanted all my family and friend with me in my special Hotel.
w went back a few weeks ago and found it had changed hand's, it was dirty, could not see the lovely staff we were use to, the cheff was gone and the food was not good. I felt very sad to see such a lovely Hotel go down so low.

Room Tip: i have heard the banks have taken it so now i know why it's gone down. so sad.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank mairead1932

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Found this BARGAIN room on line at this hotel. Checked out feedback on Tripadvisor, and rated reasonable well, which suited us. We arrived and were greeted by a friendly and polite receptionist. The hotel looked dated, but our bedroom was more than adequate. Our bed (which was were we had our biggest surprise) was twin beds pushed together, was the softest we had slept in all tour. Wonderful! No traffic noise - No bright lights shining through the curtains - bliss. A great night sleep and once again we were off trekking again.
Hope all can get their rooms for 39 Euro!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Room was out of date, Shabby, bathroom door lock did not work & bed sheets were dirty. Ordered breakfast and toast was soggy. Complained to staff but were rude and did noting to help. Well over priced for what we goy

Room Tip: Ask for one of the updated rooms.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Garyt85

Travellers are raving about these Portmarnock hotels

Truro, Canada
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We booked this hotel last minute and got the room quite cheap. Lady at the front desk was helpful and friendly. Room was clean although the carpet throughout that halls and the room had plenty of stains. Close to airport and ferry. Beautiful view of the beach.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 September 2013

On arrival to the white sands hotel I was greeted by a lady in the reception who really did not care about the guests she was signing in more about the party that was being held upstairs later that evening. I was given a key to the most dingy room I have ever seen - the room was dusty and dirty. The bathroom had the previous guests undergarments on the bath ( dirty) there was hair in the bath and the shower head was very scaled and dirty. I wiped the surface in the bedroom and was appalled by the dirt. I complained to the lady at the reception and the on call manager came and got the room "cleaned" He was accompanied by another manager ( his assistant), this lady came and advised me that the room was being given a thorough clean and that we would be moved to another room the next morning as the hotel was fully booked that night.
I was happier with the state of the room as the woollen blanket had been changed to a clean duvet and the bathroom showed signs of cleaning. the shower head was still the same.
I was staying with a friend who had similar problems with her room. the rooms were in the older part of the hotel which really needed some work doing but that was no excuse for dirt.
The next morning we were served a breakfast which was inedible and looked as if it had been plated up for some time.
We both felt that we could not spend a minute longer in this place and managed to book another hotel in the area.
We discussed our concerns with the reception staff - same lady as previous, whose attitude changed slightly but was blissfully unaware of the shortcomings of the breakfast area and rooms.
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone - in fact I feel very strongly that it should be removed from the Irish tourist boards recommendations and Irish ferries.
I am still waiting for the manager to contact me reference a possible refund for the night we did not spend there.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank igauld
Beverly Farms, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We drove from Kilkenny to Portmarnock with this hotel in mind as it was outside of Dublin and right on the water. The thing is, it is a little shabby. Even though it filled up right after we checked in, one room for four women, it lacked in several areas. Price was good, but the rooms, the lobby, the bar, the restaurant all needed some updating. It appears that this is a very popular place for golfers as my friends and I, were apparently the only females in residence. All else were gathered to talk about the day on the links and/or the promise of the next day doing the same. Golf bags everywhere! The best part of the stay was the "session" in the bar the night before we left Ireland. Sing song with three guitars, a mandolin and experienced locals well into the morning. Brilliant! The receptionists were extremely helpful, I must say. Made our cab reservations and suggested restaurants in the neighboring town of Malahide. I would stay again as it is right across the street from the water but hope that they get the hole in the wall of our room patched by then.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dorothy P
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2013

The only good thing that I can say about this hotel are the lovely Reception staff, other than that , this is a Hotel in need of some TLC. Old outdated rooms and bedding , scruffy old brown woollen type blankets, no mattress covers/ protectors, spare blanket in wardrobe had large orange stain , God only knows what this was!!.Bathroom was not much better , old stained shower curtain , sink cracked and toilet bowl was so close to heated towel rail that you were just about able to sit on loo , needed to be contortionist to reach behind for toilet roll , even Harry Houdini would have struggled. The staff deserve better as they were a credit , nothing to much for them, if owners put as much effort in as Lorraine and Mauve this Hotel would certainly be worth a visit.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else if expecting comfort
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank jimnib
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portmarnock
Portmarnock Hotel and Golf Links
#1 of 1 in Sutton Cross
Carnegie Court Hotel
Carnegie Court Hotel
#4 of 7 in Swords

Been to White Sands Hotel? Share your experiences!