“Great location, very accomodating...”

Portmarnock Hotel and Golf Links
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Portmarnock
Reviewed 8 July 2010

My guy & I stayed here for a long weekend as part of a large family function. All of the staff were friendly and accomodating although we did notice that during the the night with the offical family function going on they seemed to be very short-staffed which was kind of disappointing since it's not like they didn't know we were coming. The bar staff in the Jameson bar (particularly Kevin!) were very friendly and good-naturedly put up with our lively group for several nights! Our standard room was nice, on the first floor facing the ocean but stuffy (it WAS unseasonably warm in late June) and we could only open a tiny portion of the window, so no breeze for relief. My guy played golf & said the course wa nice but hard-turfed so be prepared fpr your ball to roll an extra 150 yards! Breakfast was excellent and the beach was gorgeous!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,263)

Reviewed 26 May 2010

This is a destination Golf Hotel. If you don't love golf, this is probably not the best choice of hotels for you. The food was marginal, the key card machine required a reset of your room key almost every night. The housekeeping staff overlooked everything from coffee, to towels, toilet paper and tissues. We stayed for 7 nights and they always forgot somerhing that we had to request later. The location is however, quite beautiful. It is a 45 minute walk to the village of Malahide, 20 Euro cab ride to Dublin or Howth. Not really close to anything else.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 May 2010

I returned to this Hotel after many years to use it solely for bed rest yet i was actually nicely surprised,I would not normally have not stayed in the hotel for dining or entertainment as i would have considered it quite expensive.But on arrival this time i found an early bird menu for 19 Euro for a two course meal. The content which was not that of a normal "budget " menu and the the quality of food and service was not either.So after our our now postponed trip to Malahide was due to take place , this time in search of entertainment .. i heard the sounds of traditional Irish Music drifting from an old well charactered bar drifting across the lobby.. needless to say .. We stayed and will be sure to be back..... PS Great pint and reasonable too...

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2010

I was so looking forward to my visit to this hotel as it had a fine reputation. I was to be very disappointed. I was staying just one night to attend a celebration meal following the wedding of an old friend. I booked on the hotels own website requesting a seaview room. On arrival I found the staff at reception not to be very warm or welcoming. I was given my room which overlooked a courtyard with no seaview. I then ordered some lunch in the bar behind reception just a sandwich and some house cut chips as the menu put it. The sandwich was poor and the chips of the very cheapest frozen type were lukewarm at best. I was under time pressure so left my half eaten lunch returned to my room to check my booking reference. Upon contacting reception by phone to enquire as to my seaview request a very curt young lady told me to come to reception to collect keys for a room with a seaview and offered little or no apology. The new room did indeed have a wonderful sea view but stank of smoke. I was not offered or asked IF I smoked or not. The bathroom was grubby and the shower head needed replacing. By now I had no time to move again so put up with my smelly room(it was very bad). I enquired at reception on checking out and again recieved little or no apology. The wedding meal main course was also lukewarm , the wine waiter spilled more wine on the table cloth than in the glass. After the function the staff opened doors to make the room very cold so as to clear the crowd. Breakfast the next day was a joke with the buffet a long way from the seating area long lines when they ran out of food and tea and coffee served from pump flasks. All in all a very unpleasent expierence , FOUR STAR I DONT THINK SO

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank kildareman1
Reviewed 19 April 2010

The hotel reception and cleaning staff was great, however; the restaurant staff needs to improve. There were colleagues with several dietary needs that were communicated in prior days. However, those requests were completely ignored during food preparation.

The golf course is hilly and awkward. However there is a beautiful view of the beach.

The rooms on the back side of the hotel is newer and upgraded.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 April 2010

I was there for the afters of a wedding.

We arrived prior to the meal being finished and went into the main bar where a pint of Heineken was €4.80.

When we went into the actual wedding room the first point was that the bar wasn't in the room but outside it in the main lobby but this wasn't too big of an issue. However, the exact same pint of Heineken was costing €5.25 at this bar. When we asked why this was the barman was refreshingly honest and said "your getting ripped off."

This price difference was the case with other drinks as well including shorts and pints. So upon recognising this difference we walked the extra 10 seconds to the other bar which was successful for a while until staff in the other bar started saying we had to buy drinks at the wedding bar therefore forcing you to buy the more expensive drink.

Another point was the if you asked for Jagermeister they served you a drink in a similar bottle and with similar taste but it wasn't called Jagermeister it started with an S.

Also another point worth noting is that the residents bar closes at exactly 3am and will not serve past this only to your room and no one else is allowed in your room except you. They also stood with a list of names and checked people off as they were going into the residents bar.

Lovely venue but this profiteering and other senseless rules left a bad taste in the mouth and pocket.

• Stayed: April 2010
1  Thank Barry G
eblackphgl, Manager at Portmarnock Hotel and Golf Links, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2010

Firstly I would like to thank you for all comments as any feed back is greatly appreciated for without it we could not improve as desired. I would like to take this opportunity to apologise on behalf of the hotel. Firstly the product you received was not as requested when ordering Jagermeister , this should have been made clear to you at point of sale prior to serving the beverage, this has now been resolved and Jagermeister is now in stock. Secondly was the response you received when questioning the price increases between bars, this is not the standard of customer service we wish our customers to receive. A clear explanation should have been delivered. The common uplift in bar prices for function rooms is due to having exclusive use of the area for the evening , dedicated staffing ,wash rooms and event management are just some of the additional services provided. The Residents Bar finishes at 3 o clock and usually clears at approximately 4 30 which leaves three hours to clean and the refresh area before set up for 8 am opening so this decision is based purely on operations. The other points regarding the residents bar are procedures’ in place to maintain health and safety and also for our hotel to operate within the parameters of the law. Only residents are legally allowed to drink in the residents bar. In the unfortunate event of a fire only individuals registered to a bedroom would be searched for by emergency services therefore allowing additional persons into that area would be a total breach of health and safety procedure. Once again I would like to thank you for your comments and look forward to your custom in the future.

Reviewed 6 April 2010

We stayed here for the 1st time on the 1st April 2010, exactly 1 month before our wedding at the venue. I read the reviews on the morning before we stayed and there was a stark contrast between the reviews posted in February (very bad) and those posted in March (excellent). I have heard either rightly/wrongly that there has been a change in management, whether this is true or not, I don’t know; but obviously something changed. We had been out for coffee in February and the service was lax.

Anyway to my review, firstly the rates are great, and our room in the newer wing was lovely with great views of the golf course. The dinner which was our menu tasting was excellent, and I must compliment our waiter Guido, he was brilliant! The hotel was reasonably busy for a Holy Thursday which is a good sign too. The service received at this hotel was excellent, and I don’t think it was just because we are having our wedding here, everyone else was being treated equally well, (several times we overheard comments regarding the excellent waiting staff in the restaurant). In fact everywhere we went we were met with friendly smiles and hellos, which makes the stay all the more enjoyable. All in all, we can’t wait for our wedding day.

You should treat yourself to a stay here whilst the prices stay cheap!

P.s. good wine list too!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portmarnock
Grand Hotel Malahide
#5 of 150 in Dublin
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
#1 of 2 in Newtown Mount Kennedy

Been to Portmarnock Hotel and Golf Links? Share your experiences!