“WE JUST KEEP GOING BACK”

Grand Hotel Malahide
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Malahide
Reviewed 13 August 2011

Just returned from our annual 3 day summer break in this hotel and once again it didn't disappoint! You will always get good and bad reviews with any hotel but anyone who finds fault with this hotel would be unbelievably hard to please!!!

Check in not til 3pm (have never got checked in before 3pm) so plan day accordingly! Girls on reception really pleasant and nothing to much bother! Have stayed in various rooms throughout the years but our family room (353) surpassed all expectations this time! Huge big room with 2 comfortable double sized beds and 2 dual aspect floor to ceiling windows with lovely sea views. Room had iron/board, hairdryer/daily replenishment of toiletries and tea coffee making facilities (advisable to buy small carton of milk at nearby shop as very little supplied).

Don't usually avail of meals in hotel but breakfast can't be faulted...selection of fresh fruit/cereals/yogurts/juices/pastries and the hot buffet food is delicious and tasty!

We always avail of a trip to the swimming pool which is spotlessly clean. Towels provided but remember and bring swim hat as they cost €2each!!

Lots of lovely restaurants and bars in village but for any OAP's their is a fab bar/restaurant called 'Oscars' which is on Coast Road heading to Portmarnock. Great sized portion of meals (turkey/ham/stuffing/potatoes/veg etc) for only €5.95 from lunchtime through to early evening! Half portion adult meals also well portioned and only €7.50.

Railway station only minutes walk away and for 2 adults and up to four children return to city only €10. Would recommend Dublin Zoo for young children and for anyone interested in Irish history and families with teenagers a visit to Kilmainham Jail is a good way to pass an afternoon! Also a visit to Malahide castle a lovely way to spend a few hours!

Lastly for those shopaholics like myself, Swords Pavillion only 10min drive away with loads of shops like Zara and H&M and some great eateries too!

All in all great hotel, great location, great food, great for things to do and see and all this for 2 adults and 2 teenagers B&B and only €109 a night....couldn't beat it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for sea view and the new wing of the hotel quieter (no road noise)
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank DublinHannah
There are newer reviews for Grand Hotel Malahide

Reviewed 11 August 2011

The Hotel was nice and the beds were comfortable.
The Bartender @ the Bar seemed distant.
Breakfast was very good with alot of choices.
Malahide is a short Dart ride from Dublin, it is a beautiful town.
I would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2011

Room was quite small and unfortunately my window looked into a cement wall on all sides full of garbage!

That being said the employees were wonderful, the food was amazing and was beautifully decorated inside.

Shower was quite small and I barley fit into the stall but would stay here again without a question.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 August 2011

We stayed here for two nights with our two small children and we also brought our parents with us as a treat for them. Upon booking i asked for a sea view and a possible upgrade for my parents. When we arrived the reception staff could not have been more welcoming, the hotel reception looked absouletly beautiful, I was so excited about seeing the rest of the hotel. We had to take two separate lifts to get to the 4th floor which was somewhat confusing the first few times but we soon got used to it. Our rooms did not disappoint we got the sea view that we requested and my Mum and Dad got a corner room with sea view so there room was very airy and spacious, we were so delighted. The food in the restaurant was so delicious and a wide variety to choose from, the breakfasts were lovely and the waiting staff could not have done enough especially as I needed baby bottles heated etc, nothing was a problem. The leisure complex was also great my kids loved it. We will definately return with our family. Also, the dart station is very close by and the village is lovely to walk around.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 August 2011

We have been visiting this hotel every couple of years for the last ten years or so. Its a great hotel, the service, the food, the relaxed atmosphere.
The only negative thing i would say about it is that some parts of the hotel are starting to look like they could do with a bit of a face lift. The Matt Ryan bar is the same as i remember it from all my previous visits and is looking a bit dark. The room we had, which was one of the sandard rooms, need repainted and papered, some of the wallpaper was torn or water marked behind the radiator. But, please dont let this put you off, the hotel oozes charm and charisma, something that chain hotels could never match as they tend to be carbon copies of each other.
The food was amazing, breakfast, bar food and the dinner in the Coast restaurant which was as good as any I have had.
The room, even though it needs done up, was comfortable, warm, and the bathroom was spotless, well stocked with complimentary toiliteries and of course plenty of hot water.
I didnt use the leisure facilities this time but have done in the past. the sauna steam room and Jacuzi are a brilliant way to chill out.
Would I use this hotel again? of course I would, i cant wait for the opertunity to re-visit.

Room Tip: go for one of the executive rooms, they're newer and better
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2011

I stayed in the Grand Hotel with my wife on our 1st wedding anniversary. I found the experience highly unsatisfactory. The only good thing about the trip was NOT buying breakfast - at EUR 16 per person, it was extortion. You can eat a 2 course lunch in a fine cuisine restuarant for EUR 20 per person. Also, if you wanted breakfast in bed, they charged EUR 6 per person. To re-cap, breakfast in bed for me and my wife would have cost us EUR 44 and we half suppose the bell boy would like to keep the change if a EUR 50 note was handed over.

Avoid room 226, I wouldn't put the janitors broom in it. Its tiny, stains on the ceiling, small & uncomfortable bed and a basic bathroom with poor water pressure in the sink. The 'view' ... that consisted of looking at a wall that was less than 10 feet away. For EUR 160 I expected more bang for my buck, not Jacky the Janitors closet.

Great area, lovely village, nice pubs, wonderful restaurants - well worth a visit but you may want to consider alternative accomodation because this place is style over substance with little value for money.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 August 2011

The Hotel itself was fine if you didnt mind taking two elevators to get to the second floor-with a sizeable walk to the second elevator! That said, it is a lovely hotel in a lovely town and the view for our window was beautiful.The staff were very nice and obliging. Now ,I have two gripes the first being our breakfast which cost 12 euro to deliver two breakfasts to our room-thats 6 euro for each meal,now this i cant understand as the boy was coming to the room with one anyway so why on earth charge us for two?? Not only that- they were cold! My second gripe were the noises from the heating pipes which woke us twice at 2.30am and 6.30am!Seriously,at 200euro a night the least one would expect are warm breakfasts and a decent nights sleep!These factors alone would prevent me from coming back to this hotel

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the harbour the view is amazing
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malahide
Portmarnock Hotel and Golf Links
Premier Inn Dublin Airport Hotel
The Croke Park
The Croke Park
#6 of 150 in Dublin

Been to Grand Hotel Malahide? Share your experiences!