“Good smoked beef surf & turf”
Review of SALE e PEPE

SALE e PEPE
Ranked #7 of 59 Restaurants in Malahide
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I tried the unusual surf & turf with thick cut chips - for once they were done sufficiently as all too often they are undercooked - the 'turf' was smoked making it a little dryer than normal but an interesting smoky flavour. Their espresso is not worth having though, its got no crema and is just strong coffee that is not worth drinking, so I didnt!

1  Thank Robert_B_London61

Reviewed 29 December 2013

I booked this restaurant for my parents Wedding anniversary. I spoke to staff twice to book and confirm. When we arrived we were told we hadn't a booking. I had the name of the man I booked with,Joe. He conveniently wasn't available at the time. We had to wait in the hall while the waitress rang him and they took other customers in ahead of our party. We weren't even offered a seat or a drink while we waited for the waitress to complete her phonecall to Joe & sort out their mistake. We were then told that Joe remembered taking the booking but didn't write it in the book so there was nothing they could do. Total joke! Staff were extremely unapologetic and couldn't have cared less. We had to walk around Malahide in the freezing cold trying to find another venue to host my parents wedding anniversary dinner. Joe never even had the decency to call and apologise! I will be sure to spread the word that they can't even take a booking so I wouldn't trust them to cook a meal properly. A lesson in customer services is definitely in order!

5  Thank VOShe
MalahideJoe, Owner at SALE e PEPE, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

I made an honest mistake. In the course of transcribing booking details to our table plan, your booking for 6 people at 6 pm on Saturday 29th December was omitted. This should not have happened and I of course apologise. I greatly regret the disappointment to your parents on the occasion of their wedding anniversary. When you arrived at the restaurant, my supervisor on realising the error immediately telephoned me (I was on the other side of the city) to explain the situation. I asked her to apologise on my behalf, which she did, and to offer you a voucher for dinner for 6 plus wine. I also asked her to get your phone number as your details had obviously been mislaid. You refused our offer and did not give your telephone number. There was therefore no further action I could take. I again apologise. The offer of the voucher still stands and if you care to contact the restaurant, I should be delighted to speak to you in person.

Kind regards,
Joe Kenny,
Proprietor

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Visited on business with my team. The food wasn't brilliant. but I think that's because I'm vegetarian. some places are better than others but there really wasn't a great choice here.

1  Thank mollymermaid
Reviewed 17 November 2013

What a thoroughly enjoyable evening out. OK, so a major part of the experience is down to the company you keep, but Sale e Pepe made it very easy.

A lively atmosphere was on the verge of being too noisy at times, but that is testimony to the restaurant's Friday night popularity. I enjoyed a wonderful red pepper and tomato soup with rustic bread, followed by a chicken and parma ham roulade and creamy garlic potatoes. What was great was that the stylish presentation of the dish did not skimp on portion size. My perception was that it was slightly on the expensive side, but only relative to prices in my corner of England.

A great experience all round. No hesitation to give top marks.

1  Thank Ken S
Reviewed 17 November 2013

this was our first time in this restaurant and I would definitely recommend it. We had the early bird menu and it was very good. Will be back.

2  Thank Beth R