“Poor Rooms”

and 1 more site!
Island View Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Malahide
Reviewed 23 June 2012

We stayed at the Island View Hotel because of its conveniently close location to Dublin Airport where we were flying from the next day. The look of the downstairs bar area was pleasant. We could have looked at the room before we booked it but chose not to because we couldn't be bothered to look elsewhere for one night. The room was very basic and was a smoking room (although we weren't asked if we wanted non smoking or not). How to turn on the bedside lights was a complete mystery. There were no buttons on the lead or under the shade. i fiddled with the central part of the lamp which turned round but that didn't work. Touching the base didn't work. I gave up and put it back then within seconds it was on along with the other lamp that I hadn't even touched. To turn them off the next day I just had to unplug them as nothing else worked.

Initially I thought there was no milk with the tea and coffee but found a jug of milk in the room fridge although this was frozen and unusable so I had to leave it outside to defrost.

We had been very lucky with the rest of the accommodation throughout our stay in Ireland and perhaps because of this we have been unduly critical of the Island View Hotel but as it was only a few euros short of other rooms we thought overall it was overpriced for what we got. We didn't eat in the bar (we went to Ciao restaurant which was wonderful) or the restaurant upstairs so can't comment on the food. Breakfast was mediocre. View was nice from the restaurant but it would have been nice to have rooms with a view - apparently none of them have views of the water. We wouldn't recommend this hotel as a pleasant place to stay - just purely for its convenience to the airport which is only a short drive away.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 February 2012

We have eaten at Oscar Taylor's and visited the bar many times over the years when living in Dublin from 2001-6. Since we were flying out from Dublin we decided to have a nostalgic dinner there and also stay the night before flying out of Dublin airport the next day.

We booked a package of bed and breakfast which seemed a good price, all organised over email. The dinner and pints were very pleasant as usual and the friendly service in the restaurant was as it always had been. The nasty part came when we had to try to sleep. We had one of the previously mentioned rooms on the right hand side of the hotel, the incessant noise of the air con and other crashing made it impossible to sleep, and being July it was quite warm so we spent the night deciding between air or noise! We got very little sleep, sleep being the point of staying in a hotel rather than an early start to get to the airport from a distance.

So imagine our astonishment to rock up totally bleary eyed at breakfast time to be greeted with the statement that no, for us breakfast was not included!! We did not take this seriously at first, the staff member started to get quite aggressive as my husband tried to show her the email from the hotel confirming the breakfast inclusion - or even to show the package details on the hotel's own website.''Oh no I can't see anything on the computer, I just don't have you on the list'' she carried on. It was not until she realised that the email was from the owner that she finally relented. Hardly worth it - horrible coffee and white bread with low quality jam, or cornflakes was the extent of the offering. Being contradicted (wrongly) so rudely by hotel staff first thing in the morning after next to no sleep was a bit of a first for me in a European country!!!

As I said, I can recommend the restaurant and the bar, but avoid the hotel like the plague.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HWalais
Reviewed 9 November 2011

Had not been to Oscar Taylors for quite some time but a friend had vouchers which entitled us to 2 main courses from the a la carte menu and a bottle of wine for E30 so we decided to give it a try. Firstly they have done a really nice job redecorating since my last visit. There were four of us I had the t bone steak which was cooked med rare as requested the wife had the haddock and prawns and our friends had the special which was lamb shank. The house red was an argentinian malbec which was really nice. The bill was E60 for the lot including 2 bottles of wine. But even without the vouchers which were only valid until the end of November prices were very reasonable with a 3 course early bird advertised for 15.95. We will definitely be back

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 September 2011

I stayed here with my husband for my first wedding anniversary for one night. I have to say I thought it was a grand hotel. The rooms are basic, but extremley clean. There is a lovley cozy bar downstairs. All the other restaurants and pubs in Malahide are a stroll away. Malahide was great for a meal and a night out, livley bars, clean and preety. The hotel has a late residents bar, so you can have a late tipple if you want. I even left some items of clothing in the room and the irish receptionist there was so helpful nice and posted them back to me. (thanks again!) No complaints about this place at all, will definatley be coming back.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lulu018
Reviewed 30 May 2011

Seriously DO NOT GO HERE - We booked 3 weeks in advance for a table for a First Holy Communion party of eight . This restaurant is absolutly disgusting ,the food is sub standard .The garlic bread was so hard you could build houses with it ,the fish had to be sent back as it likened an old leather Flip Flop ,the garlic mushrooms were floating in grease ,there was only one portion of veg between 4 adults and a mountain of re-heated greasy frozen chips .I asked three different members of staff for a jug of water and it took half an hour to get it .We could'nt wait to get out of this Restaurant but to top it all of I made a FATAL MISTAKE to use the Ladies on the way out .........OMG I actually could'nt describe on here the sight I was met with but it is a memory that I will find extreemly hard to erase from my mind .Enter this place at you own peril !! Iam mortified by this place ...in Ireland we have the most beautiful food establishments and how this place is still trading is beyond me ????

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
9  Thank wilbertIreland
Reviewed 14 August 2010

We stopped 3 nights at Island View while on holiday so we could access Dublin easily. The hotel is well located within walking distance of Malahide and there is a pleasant park across the road with access to the sands. If you park in the hotel car park don't take your car out or you will not get parked again - very popular eatery. Bar and lounge dark and dismal, Oscar Taylor's restaurant upstairs has best views and a good menu, waiting staff friendly. As for the bedrooms - very disappointing. Like other reviewers we were also kept awake by kitchen air con unit which went on all night with added effects that sounded like someone kicking a biscuit tin round the yard. We were on RHS of hotel, rooms 8 to 11 where noise was probably worse. Room also stuffy so you have to keep the windows open. Carpet worn down to the backing at one side of room. No milk supplied for hospitality tray so you had to traipse to either the restaurant or bar to get a jug of milk.. Suggest you eat at Oscar's but stay somewhere else as you will be bleary eyed from lack of sleep!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2010

I tried to find a listing on here for the restaurant specifically but there doesn't appear to be one... and I have to say I'm not surprised. I had the worst dining experience of my whole trip at this restaurant. The service was bad & the food was blah. My steak (I laugh to even call it that) was the consistency of a pan-fried flip flop. I couldn't barely even cut it with the steak knife they gave me. And when I did manage to whittle a piece off I literally couldn't even chew it enough to swallow it, it was so tough. Tried in vain to flag down the waitstaff a couple of times, then it got to the point where everyone else was pretty much done with their dinners so why bother... I just ate my greasy veggies with the Jameson sauce. Needless to say I was very disappointed since steak is supposed to be one of their specialties!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank trvl_mama7
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malahide
Grand Hotel Malahide
Clontarf Castle Hotel
Clontarf Castle Hotel
#3 of 150 in Dublin
Travelodge Dublin Airport Swords

Been to Island View Hotel? Share your experiences!