“needs a lot of work”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Malahide
newtownabbey
“needs a lot of work”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

at first glance the hotel looks ok,but on closer inspection its is pretty dirty the shower in our room was dirty there were cracked wall tiles and lots of black mould on the walls,the window catches did not work right there was no remote for the tv,the glasses u got with your drink were not the best,the hotel looked very untidy our main meal in the restaurant was ok not great just ok,on the plus side the staff were very nice our room had a fridge which was good and the b/fast was nice,would i stay here again i am sorry but the answer is no just not our sort of place.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2012

We stayed here recently and we'd go back again. After reading some reviews on here we were expecting some sort of horrific type of room but what we were greeted with was a spotless room and spotless bathroom. The bed was huge and really comfortable. The shower isn't a power shower but it has the power of one! We didn't eat here so can't comment but I'd have no problem recommending the hotel. We did avail of the resident's bar and the night porter Frank is a lovely and interesting man and thanks to him. We got the room for 60 Euro and it really was a bargain.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Fremantle, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2012

We stayed at the Island View Hotel because of its conveniently close location to Dublin Airport where we were flying from the next day. The look of the downstairs bar area was pleasant. We could have looked at the room before we booked it but chose not to because we couldn't be bothered to look elsewhere for one night. The room was very basic and was a smoking room (although we weren't asked if we wanted non smoking or not). How to turn on the bedside lights was a complete mystery. There were no buttons on the lead or under the shade. i fiddled with the central part of the lamp which turned round but that didn't work. Touching the base didn't work. I gave up and put it back then within seconds it was on along with the other lamp that I hadn't even touched. To turn them off the next day I just had to unplug them as nothing else worked.

Initially I thought there was no milk with the tea and coffee but found a jug of milk in the room fridge although this was frozen and unusable so I had to leave it outside to defrost.

We had been very lucky with the rest of the accommodation throughout our stay in Ireland and perhaps because of this we have been unduly critical of the Island View Hotel but as it was only a few euros short of other rooms we thought overall it was overpriced for what we got. We didn't eat in the bar (we went to Ciao restaurant which was wonderful) or the restaurant upstairs so can't comment on the food. Breakfast was mediocre. View was nice from the restaurant but it would have been nice to have rooms with a view - apparently none of them have views of the water. We wouldn't recommend this hotel as a pleasant place to stay - just purely for its convenience to the airport which is only a short drive away.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Malahide hotels

Kilkenny
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

We have eaten at Oscar Taylor's and visited the bar many times over the years when living in Dublin from 2001-6. Since we were flying out from Dublin we decided to have a nostalgic dinner there and also stay the night before flying out of Dublin airport the next day.

We booked a package of bed and breakfast which seemed a good price, all organised over email. The dinner and pints were very pleasant as usual and the friendly service in the restaurant was as it always had been. The nasty part came when we had to try to sleep. We had one of the previously mentioned rooms on the right hand side of the hotel, the incessant noise of the air con and other crashing made it impossible to sleep, and being July it was quite warm so we spent the night deciding between air or noise! We got very little sleep, sleep being the point of staying in a hotel rather than an early start to get to the airport from a distance.

So imagine our astonishment to rock up totally bleary eyed at breakfast time to be greeted with the statement that no, for us breakfast was not included!! We did not take this seriously at first, the staff member started to get quite aggressive as my husband tried to show her the email from the hotel confirming the breakfast inclusion - or even to show the package details on the hotel's own website.''Oh no I can't see anything on the computer, I just don't have you on the list'' she carried on. It was not until she realised that the email was from the owner that she finally relented. Hardly worth it - horrible coffee and white bread with low quality jam, or cornflakes was the extent of the offering. Being contradicted (wrongly) so rudely by hotel staff first thing in the morning after next to no sleep was a bit of a first for me in a European country!!!

As I said, I can recommend the restaurant and the bar, but avoid the hotel like the plague.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HWalais
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2011

Had not been to Oscar Taylors for quite some time but a friend had vouchers which entitled us to 2 main courses from the a la carte menu and a bottle of wine for E30 so we decided to give it a try. Firstly they have done a really nice job redecorating since my last visit. There were four of us I had the t bone steak which was cooked med rare as requested the wife had the haddock and prawns and our friends had the special which was lamb shank. The house red was an argentinian malbec which was really nice. The bill was E60 for the lot including 2 bottles of wine. But even without the vouchers which were only valid until the end of November prices were very reasonable with a 3 course early bird advertised for 15.95. We will definitely be back

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2011

I stayed here with my husband for my first wedding anniversary for one night. I have to say I thought it was a grand hotel. The rooms are basic, but extremley clean. There is a lovley cozy bar downstairs. All the other restaurants and pubs in Malahide are a stroll away. Malahide was great for a meal and a night out, livley bars, clean and preety. The hotel has a late residents bar, so you can have a late tipple if you want. I even left some items of clothing in the room and the irish receptionist there was so helpful nice and posted them back to me. (thanks again!) No complaints about this place at all, will definatley be coming back.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lulu018
ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2011

Seriously DO NOT GO HERE - We booked 3 weeks in advance for a table for a First Holy Communion party of eight . This restaurant is absolutly disgusting ,the food is sub standard .The garlic bread was so hard you could build houses with it ,the fish had to be sent back as it likened an old leather Flip Flop ,the garlic mushrooms were floating in grease ,there was only one portion of veg between 4 adults and a mountain of re-heated greasy frozen chips .I asked three different members of staff for a jug of water and it took half an hour to get it .We could'nt wait to get out of this Restaurant but to top it all of I made a FATAL MISTAKE to use the Ladies on the way out .........OMG I actually could'nt describe on here the sight I was met with but it is a memory that I will find extreemly hard to erase from my mind .Enter this place at you own peril !! Iam mortified by this place ...in Ireland we have the most beautiful food establishments and how this place is still trading is beyond me ????

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
9 Thank wilbertIreland
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malahide
Grand Hotel Malahide
Portmarnock Hotel and Golf Links
The Waterside House Hotel
Premier Inn Dublin Airport Hotel
Clayton Hotel Dublin Airport

Been to Island View Hotel? Share your experiences!