“This review is for Oscar Taylor's Restaurant in the hotel....”
Review of Island View Hotel

and 1 more site!
Island View Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Malahide
Reviewed 8 July 2010

I tried to find a listing on here for the restaurant specifically but there doesn't appear to be one... and I have to say I'm not surprised. I had the worst dining experience of my whole trip at this restaurant. The service was bad & the food was blah. My steak (I laugh to even call it that) was the consistency of a pan-fried flip flop. I couldn't barely even cut it with the steak knife they gave me. And when I did manage to whittle a piece off I literally couldn't even chew it enough to swallow it, it was so tough. Tried in vain to flag down the waitstaff a couple of times, then it got to the point where everyone else was pretty much done with their dinners so why bother... I just ate my greasy veggies with the Jameson sauce. Needless to say I was very disappointed since steak is supposed to be one of their specialties!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank trvl_mama7

Reviewed 31 August 2009

This is not really a 'hotel' - more a pub/restaurant with a few poorly equiped rooms. There is no internet access at all in the hotel, it is very noisy and the rooms are very tired...... not really the type of place that a business traveller would want to stay.
Very limited parking, often full due to popularity of the restuarant/bar.
On the plus side all the staff were friendly (although reception was rarely manned) and the food was excellent.
The location is great, although I can't say that I saw an island.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 July 2009

I was really surprised to read the reviews of this hotel after our lovely stay there last weekend. The bar and restaurant were both lovely and breakfast was delicious. The rooms were grand, just what we needed and the price was the best of all. Have to say can't think of much to fault.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 July 2009

I honestly have to disagree with present reviews, I stayed at Island View last week and was given a good sized room,it wasn't the ritz but bedclothes & towels were clean and shower was fine. I ate in the restaurant and found the food excellent, it was ideal for me with parking and was just a few mins away from airport.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 June 2009

We spent one extremely unpleasant night listening to the drone of the air conditioning unit just below our bedroom window. It went off at 1.15am & started up again before 7 - although the staff had assured us differently. The dirty & semen stained counterpane was replaced very swiftly when we complained, but with only a sheet & counterpane, (no duvet or blanket) and a hard old mattress, it was certainly not comfortable. The smell of the room improved somewhat when we opened all the windows & put the obnoxious air freshener outside the room. If this is under new mangement - as indicated by a response to reviews in 2008 - then they have a lot of work to do & appear disinterested in addressing problems identifed by previous guests. Breakfast however was good, although the cook was wearing a disgustingly filthy t-shirt, which made me wonder what state the kitchen was in. Judging by the back of the hotel, not good. The carpets and room furnishings were also filthy. The entire place stank of smoke. Don't go there....basic hygene should not cost money - & there is no island view, just traffic

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jandenton
Reviewed 28 August 2008

Nice restaurant and a nice bar, but the accomodation is awful.
We were kept awake all night by loud clunking and clanking noises.
When we complained in the morning the staff knew exactly what the problem was - an ice-making machine apparently - so they obviously know about it but nothing has been done about it.
I sleep well and soundly and I would honestly defy anyone to sleep through that.
And given the lovely meal we had in the restaurant the previous night, the breakfast was just awful.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank TwixChick
Reviewed 4 April 2008

do not stay in this hotel the staff are ignorant and most dont speak english the main bar is nice for everyday use but the residents bar is dirty and smellt of fart and was full of loud obnoxious scumbags. the restaurant was well below par and the worst and i mean WORST experience i have ever had anywhere was when i found a pair of y fronts whit a ball of excrement in them stuffed under the bed which says a lot about the cleaning staff does,nt it please please stay away from this hotel so it can close down and save a lot of people a lot of money

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank hootie111
shar36, public relations manager at Island View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2008

We are very sorry this guest did not enjoy their stay at the Islandview we have only recently taken over the hotel and our striving to improve the standards of service of the hotel.
We wish this guest had brought these problems to the attention of the management and we could have dealt with these problems .

Also consider these accommodations in or near Malahide
Grand Hotel Malahide
The Waterside House Hotel
Carnegie Court Hotel
Carnegie Court Hotel
#4 of 7 in Swords

Been to Island View Hotel? Share your experiences!