“Am I taking up your time?”
Review of Kajjal

Kajjal
Ranked #3 of 54 Restaurants in Malahide
Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Kajjal was opened by Sean Collender and Shoaib Yunus in October 2007 and has been warmly welcomed by the people of Malahide. Kajjal's aim is to provide a friendly and relaxed atmosphere where you can enjoy a consistently good standard of food and service. Kajjal is open 7 days a week from 12 till 11pm and offers great value lunch, every Sunday live music is on from 2pm to 4pm. Sister restaurants Kinara in Clontarf and KInara Kitchen in Ranelagh. Try our newly opened Italian Restaurant Michaels Italian in Mount Merrion.
“Am I taking up your time?”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

On a recent visit to Malahide, I had Nautilus and Chez Sara (the number 2 and 3 ) in my sights but, unfortunately, even on a sunny Friday afternoon, neither was open. So, we opted for the number 1 listed restaurant in this north county Dublin seaside town.
Kajjal cuisine is described as Indian and Pakistani, although, judging by the lunch menu, I think the emphasis is on the latter; there's a limited choice of dishes available and the emphasis is on the Pakistani style lunch of main, side dish and naan bread.
We were the only customers when we arrived at 2pm and the waiter/manager appeared less than enthused. Undaunted, the sun was out, it was Friday afternoon so we opted to sit outside. we ordered two beers, a carafe of water and a bottle of Nocedal Rioja reserva.
Menus were plonked on the table and questions were answered monosyllabically and with such little enthusiasm, I almost asked if we were taking up his time.
I chose the lamb chops and my brother, the garlic prawns, for starters. We both opted for the seabass with vegetables for mains.
The food was great. I got two, meaty and succulent lamb cutlets, prepared with a spicy marinade and served with a tangy and fresh yoghurt and mint sauce. My brother's prawns were cooked to perfection.
The seabass was equally good and we got both fillets, again marinaded and cooked in a spicy turmeric sauce. They were served on a bed of vegetables that were not in the least overdone and very flavoursome.
Finally, to round off our meal and afternoon, I opted for a mango lassi that was, unfortunately, disappointing. We had two double espressos and finished our wine.
I'd like to come back here some night and try the a la carte menu but the service, apart from the two pleasant girls who delivered our dishes and cleared our table, left much to be desired and, at €110 for our meal, I believe my criticism is well justified.
Kajjal may be top of the pile, right now, in Malahide but it appears there are many other claimants for that throne.

• Visited August 2014
4 Thank Hannibaltheh

Holden, Massachusetts
“Best Indian food I've had in a while”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Coming from Boston, it is sometimes hard to find *really* good Indian food. This was excellent. We tried a few different dishes and everything met my expectations. It's not a large restaurant, so I would expect that reservations are needed on busy nights. Food was flavorful and the portions were just right. We got appetizers, nan and a main dish and it was a fair amount of food but not gigantic, overstuffed like you would normally find in the U.S.

Service was above average.

TIP: parking can be a challenge. We found a decent sized parking lot about a block away and behind (go past restaurant if you are heading towards the water and take first left. Go under concrete pass-through that is just after Starbucks. Parking lot immediately on left.

• Visited July 2014
Houston, Texas
“Delicious and authentic”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

This lively restaurant/bar serves up really delicious and flavoursome Pakistani cuisine. Good-sized portions, rich flavours and textures. We visit Dublin every year and this appears to have crept onto our must-do list every time!

Visited August 2014
Bettystown, Ireland
“Outstanding food”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

My wife and I like all sorts of Asian food, with a special preference for the Indian/Pakistani cuisine and Thai food. So having heard excellent comments about Kajjal, we had to try it out. After 2 missed attempts due to illness, we finally made it last Saturday and it was definitely worth waiting for it. Efficient and friendly welcome and seating - pre dinner drinks came quickly and we had the time to finish them before the starters arrived! I can certainly recommend the monkfish with an intriguing well-balanced tamarind and garlic sauce, my wife was very pleased with the jumbo prawns. The spicy (hot) lamb dish on my side was hot indeed, but manageable without creating numb lips or binging tears to the eyes. Hot and spicy, but pleasant, flavoursome combinations with a lovely lingering aftertaste - the chicken on the other side of the table got also a big seal of approval. The sag aloo was of the best I have ever tasted (and tried it in Bradford, Brimingham, London...) pilau rice and naan bread on a par with all the rest and a well balanced affordable wine list of which the Australian Shiraz proved to be a choice that worked well with or food. Good, efficient and professional service, no mistakes in orders for food or drinks, an elegant and comfortable place to sit and dine... We had a great meal and will definitely go back.

• Visited August 2014
Dublin, Ireland
“Surprised to see kajjal at number one!”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I have to admit i was very taken back to see Kajjal at the number one spot in Malahide. Such big competition in Malahide and for myself at my partner who experience Kajjal on separate occasions we both were left a little disappointed. Now in saying this don't get me wrong the restaurant is clean well maintain and set up nicely. Toilets were immaculate, always a must see for most ladies. Personally i found the restaurant to be flat.. no atmosphere no interaction from the staff if im been honest i actually found the gentleman who served me to be very unfriendly. Myself and a friend both tried to interact with him and ask questions and left us both shocked at his look and smart answer. Not knowing if he misunderstood i asked again and was for the second time taken back by his response. Little annoyed that we couldn't take our food away as we didn't finish it, as was not take away containers..For me i wouldn't be rushing back any-time soon. I Will say the early bird is good value. Food was nice. I wouldn't be voting it number one though.. Top 10 maybe.

• Visited July 2014