“Never a disappointment!”
Review of Mills Inn

Mills Inn
Ranked #2 of 8 Macroom B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Myself and my husband went to Killarney for the day last Tuesday and on the way home we were feeling peckish so we said we'd stop for a bit of grub as we have been there plenty of times before and its always great! My husband had the chicken stirfry which looked delicious and I had the curry (they now have Meal Deals for a tenner Monday to Friday which include a beer or a glass of wine , brilliant value!!) The curry was so nice , not to spicy ! There was a lovely atmosphere there for a Tuesday evening aswell.The staff are also very good , cant fault The Mills ,will defo stop next time were passing!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Mills Inn

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Had lunch there today 20th Feb '14 and I can safely say the Seafood Chowder in the best in Ireland! Only downfall is you only get one slice of delicious brown bread, which is a bit on the small side. I was with a 3 year old and 5 year old children and they got chicken goujons and pasta and they were huge portion sizes. Great meal in a lovely atmospheric spot.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We stopped here on a recent trip from Cork to Killarney. We used to stop as kids when the place was a small country pub, so I couldn’t believe the change. It still retains some of that ‘country’ charm, with dark woods and open fires, but it’s now turned into a kind of ‘super-pub’ and is huge, so it’s lost some of the cosiness it once had.

We took a seat and were left to our own devices for a good ten minutes before a staff member approached to ask if we wanted menus, despite two staff members hanging round the bar chatting and there being only two other customers in the pub at the time (a quiet, mid-week winter’s day). We waited another 10-15 minutes for the staff member to return and take our orders. The food, when it arrived, was nice and hot, and pretty decent for a casual lunch, but I thought a bit over-priced for a pub. After twice asking for glasses of water and none ever arriving, we decided to skip the coffees and just hit the road to Killarney.

Overall an ok place to stop if you want to break your journey and have a pub lunch (and use the toilets, which are definitely better than your average pub), but it’s not as nice as it used to be.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Called in simply because it was Sunday afternoon and we were feeling peckiish and had time to kill before catching a flight from Cork. I was surprised that the large car park at the rear of the pub was almost full and wondered what was going on. On going to the bar it was very clearly a popular and well run establishment frequented largely with families out for Sunday lunch, and the friendly atmosphere was enhanced by a good natured group watching the six nations rugby in the bar. We ordered a light lunch and the girls serving were charming and had a lovely attitude. The beer was served well and it was very family friendly. After 20 minutes the bar staff noticed we still didn't have our meal and told us they were chasing it up. The food arrived a short time later with two complimentary ( and very nice) side salads as an apology for the delay even though I hadn't made any complaints. Although it was a busy Sunday lunchtime we were quickly found a table and the whole atmosphere was pleasant and the experience good. The menu provided plenty of variety and very reasonably priced. I will eat there again and recommend it.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank raadjjh
Reviewed 29 January 2014

My friend and I went for dinner on Tuesday night the 29th of January to The Mills Inn. We both had steak which was cooked exactly like we asked. Staff were very courteous as always in The Mills. Looking forward to eating there again soon.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Finbarr N
Reviewed 26 January 2014

On Thursday 23 Jan 2014, I had lunch in the Mills Inn, having seen the Sign "Great Food Served All Day".

The place was generally quiet for lunch, the Service was poor and the staff were simply not interested.

I ordered the special of the Day which was Roast Pork and it was terrible. When the plate arrived out it was steaming hot, just out of a microwave. The Pork was covered over with Gravy and underneath was the terrible slices of pork. It was cooked the previous day and put on the plate and then stuck under the microwave. So were the mashed potatoes and vegetables. I just left it there and paid and walked out.

Maybe some days the food is good, but certainly on Thursday 23 Jan 2014 the Pork was terrible and it is hard to believe that any Chef would have the cheek to send same out from the kitchen or might I say was there any Chef on duty.

Shame on you the Mills and try and improve. I certainly will not return and will tell other people to do likewise.

Most disappointed Lunch.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Group T
Adam S, General Manager at Mills Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Dear Group T

I was very disappointed reading your review.

I am absolutely shocked that quality of the food wasn't up to our very high standard.
Of course your comments were passed to our Head Chef and I will investigate case personally to ensure that situation described will never happen again.

Also i would very much appreciate if you could contact me directly on adam@millsinn.ie when you will have a minute to discuss your bad experience.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

A Friend and me stated there recently while we were exhibiting at the Farm Machinery Show in Millstreet found the staff brilliant and very friendly, The owner don is very friendly and great crack, on the wednesday night of the show we came back to the hotel from the show and we were starving asked would it be possible to get a toastie and it was no problem again. next tome we are working in he cork area we will be staying there again. Cheers once again the Galway Lads

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Michael G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Macroom
Riverside Park Hotel
#2 of 4 in Millstreet
Cannaway House B&B
Cannaway House B&B
#1 of 8 in Macroom

Been to Mills Inn? Share your experiences!