“Good food”

Ranked #1 of 8 Macroom B&B and Inns
Cork
“Good food”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I have visited here many times, had an early dinner with a friend recently. She had the fruity vegetarian curry which looked lovely and tasted equally nice. I had the de róiste pudding , black and white with lettuce and tomatoes, there was a nice tangy dressing and relish on the slate also. My only gripe was I asked if I ordered a side salad with it would it be coleslaw/potato salad etc or green salad, I was told yes coleslaw etc, so I had it. There was a tiny spoon of coleslaw then more lettuce and tomato. This was disappointing, should have had a side of fries instead. All in all good service and food.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank CurlySusie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Ballina, Ireland
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We were looking for accomodation in Ballyvourney to use as a base for a three day trip. I booked here blindly as the location was ideal for our requirements. When we arrived our first impressions were positive, it looked like a nice place. We were met in reception by a very welcoming (and self-confessed very nosey!!) lady who checked us in and showed us to our room. The room (No. 18) was a medium sized double with ensuite and a quite impressive bed. It suited our needs perfectly. The window faced out on to one of the two courtyards and as such was very quiet. Having driven most of the day we both decided a shower was in order. Suffice to say this shower should carry a hazard warning... the water pressure was so powerful you could strap a rocket to the hose and be guaranteed a very successful launch into orbit (Space Agencies take note, this could be the launch site of the future!!). It was without a doubt the most amazing and refreshing shower I've experienced. After being thoroughly cleaned we went downstairs for a bite to eat. We were attended to shortly after sitting by possibly one of the most friendly waitresses alive. What was even more pleasing was that it wasn't professional, it was real. (As we found out throughout the course of our stay in regards to the staff this girl wasn't the exception as most of the staff we dealt with had the same naturally friendly air). When we placed our order she left and returned shortly after to set the table and got us our drinks. Now to the most jaw-dropping surprise of our stay... the food!!! It was nothing short of amazing. It was absolutely gorgeous and everything was so fresh and tasty it wouldn't have surprised me if the staff took our order, ran out back and picked the vegetables there and then!! More over the portions were plentiful, suffice to say finishing a three course meal was a challenge but because the food was of such quality we endured and had to restrain ourselves from physically licking the plates clean, not so much because we were brought up better than that as we were on holidays, no dishes were to be done!!! We met the owner on a number of occasions throughout our stay and found him to be as pleasant, laid back and helpful as the rest of the staff. That was one of the best things about this establishment, the atmosphere. It was relaxed, chilled out, friendly with no sense of drama. There was a great selection of craft beers available on draught, definitely give the Rebel Red a shot. I can not compliment the Mills Inn enough and can genuinely recommend it to anyone who's looking for a great stay in the west Cork area. Upon re-reading I realise this is a gushing review and I think this is in no small part due to the fact that I booked this blind and got such a pleasant surprise at every turn. But it was a very pleasant experience overall and was great value for money. We will return.

Room Tip: Book a room overlooking the courtyard for quietness and away from the kitchen as those wonderful aro...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank P T
Kerry
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

We called on both our outward and return journeys one week. While the food was excellent in quality, taste, portion size and value; the service differed remarkably between our two visits. We raved after our first visit and were disappointed on our return.

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Jumjam
cork
Reviewed 30 May 2014

second visit to this hotel.
waitress forgot to put salt pepper sugar milk seviettes etc.
we had to ask for everthing
but food was great
will visit again.
bar is lovely with good atmosphere.friendly bar staff
customers very jolly

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Clogheen, Ireland
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Quality accommodation, a pleasant bar, nice food, ultra clean toilets and spacious off road parking briefly describe this complex that dates back to the mid 18th century. Located approx half way between Cork and Killarney this is an ideal stop off point for relaxation, good food and a drink in a lovely bar. Ballyvourney is a Gaeltacht - an officially designated Irish speaking area and is also the birthplace of poet Sean O Riordan and was a location for Ken Loans film " The wind that shapes the barley". So drop in here for a real Cead Mile Failte and enjoy some genuine Irish hospitality.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Called in her by chance after a long day driving the Ring of Kerry.
The menu was extensive and I chose the belly pork with my wife choosing the fish & chips - both were very good & extremely substantial.
I followed up with a slice of banoffi pie - again good & large - which my wife helped me with.
2 pints of the black stuff for me & a large wine for the wife & it came to 46 euros - good value & probably never in the area again, coming from Wales, but would recommend it.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 6nationschampsagain
Bonnyrigg
Reviewed 4 May 2014

On visiting in Ballyvourney this place was very busy and had a good reputation for the food.
On arrival it was extremely busy and we were eventually seated at the back in a dining room at the back. When seated the staff were very efficient at taking orders and getting us our food, however I had chosen the Pasta stuffed with riccotta & spinach with spanish vegetables as described on the menu! but when it came there were no vegetables, My husband asked about the vegetables as I would have expected peppers at least! The waitress then said "oh is there no olives in it? I said no and she then offered to bring some olives but this was not exactly what was on the menu so I refused.
The meal was okay but nothing special, a bit like your usual heat it up and serve. The staff were clearly busy and did not really have time to spend on the individual.
Such a shame as we expected better, perhaps we will try again they maybe just had an off day...

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Macroom
Riverside Park Hotel
Abbey Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ballyvourney
Cork International Hotel
Quality Hotel And Leisure Centre

Been to Mills Inn? Share your experiences!