“Great hotel”

Castle Hotel and Leisure Centre
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Macroom
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Spent last night in the Castle Hotel, I agree with the other reviewers, the hotel is great, staff really friendly and helpful. Refreshing to meet people who are so service orientated. I would definitely stay there again. The breakfast was gorgeous, everything is cooked when it is ordered. Huge variety to choose from.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
CHCork, Guest Relations Manager at Castle Hotel and Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2012

Thank you very much for posting such a positive review of The 4 Star Castle Hotel Macroom. We are really delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us so much. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with others and our staff love hearing about a guest's visit. I have passed on your very kind remarks to all our team of staff here (in particular to our breakfast chef!) and we all look forward to hopefully having the pleasure of welcoming you back again one day soon.

There are newer reviews for Castle Hotel and Leisure Centre

Reviewed 13 August 2012

Castle Hotel is located on the main street and even though we had passed through many times we never paid much attention to it until one day we were searching for a last minute deal and it popped up. Car park is to the rear of the hotel with an entrance further down the street from it. Quiet a few steps to negotiate to get to reception were you are greeted by very friendly staff. Our room was large and decorated in an older fashion but very clean. Pool area was nice also. We ate in the bar as easier with a toddler than going into a restaurant. Food was top quality and we now stop for food when we are passing. Breakfast was also good but a little disorganised. I would certainly go back just for a relaxing night again if we got a good deal.

Room Tip: Rooms are very warm as is often the case in hotels.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
CHCork, Front Office Manager at Castle Hotel and Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to review The 4 Star Castle Hotel Macroom. We are really delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us and indeed that you are now a regular in our food areas. We appreciate you sharing your experience with others and our staff love hearing about a guest's visit. I have passed on your very kind remarks to all our team of staff here and we all look forward to hopefully having the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon. (We'll have lots more of those good deals you mentioned!)

Reviewed 10 August 2012

On arrival, the reception staff at the hotel got the room ready for us early as we arrived earlier than we should have and even offered us a cup of tea or coffee while we waited. While entering the room, the room was clean and well laid out ad everything was in the room that we required. And as we stayed for 3 nights the rooms were cleaned each day when we went out and fresh towels put in the bathroom. All the staff within the hotel had excellent communucation skills. The reception staff were brilliant to us as they could not do enough for us as we had no idea what the plan for each day was the reception staff gave us a lot of information on the places to go and explained how to get to and from the places. They even asked if we wanted the number of the hotel incase we got lost. This is really important because if you get bad staff in a hotel you immediately have a bad experience and if you come across nice staff you have a more pleasent experience. Keep up the good work!!!!! Hope to see yous again soon :-)

• Stayed: August 2012
CHCork, Front Office Manager at Castle Hotel and Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2012

Thank you very much for posting such a positive review of The 4 Star Castle Hotel Macroom. We are really delighted to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay with us so much. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with others and our staff love hearing about a guest's visit. I have passed on your very kind remarks to all our team of staff here and we all look forward to hopefully having the pleasure of welcoming you back again one day soon.

Reviewed 7 August 2012

I would like to say that our stay at the Castle Hotel last weekend was among the best experiences of my life. I got married in Gougane Barra, and we decided to have our reception at the Castle Hotel in Macroom. From the first moment I met with the wedding coordinator in January 2012, right up until we checked out on Monday, we could not have had more support and kindness. The staff made us feel like family and were helpful and always friendly. The rooms are clean and the beds very comfortable. The food was some of the best I have ever had, with no shortage of portions!

Obviously planning a wedding implies a slightly different experience than just staying for a night or two. However, I think that whether you are planning your wedding here, or just taking a short break, you could not choose a better location. We had family coming from Canada and the UK and everyone was delighted with the service, food and accommodation. We planned a wedding and dealt with the Castle Hotel consistently over the past seven months, with every visit being a pleasurable experience. I must give a special thank you to Vicki Wray, our wedding coordinator, without whose help I would have gone crazy, and the whole serving staff who made every guest feel very well looked after!

There is not one negative thing I could say about the entire stay at the Castle Hotel, and I cannot wait to go back and visit on our one year anniversary.

Thank you with all our heart.

Erika and Danny

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
CHCork, Guest Relations Manager at Castle Hotel and Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your Wedding Day and Weekend Experiences at The 4 Star Castle Hotel Macroom. We are absolutely delighted to hear you were enjoyed everything so much! We really do love weddings here in our hotel and every member of staff works so hard to ensure your dreams are fulfilled. I have shared all your very kind remarks with our team and they are thrilled to have contributed to one of your 'best experiences of life'! We would like to take this opportunity to wish you both health and happiness in your lives together, and we very much look forward to welcoming you back for your anniversary if not sooner!

Reviewed 1 August 2012

I just cannot praise this hotel enough. It doesn't have the glamour or shine of newer properties and that is the beauty of it, It is a wonderful, honest charming hotel. The staff are amazingly friendly and warm, in fact they couldn't have been more helpful and made us feel right at home, this staff friendliness went right the way through the hotel from reception, to bar, restaurant, not one area of this hotel had a staff member that let it down.
The 2 nights we stayed I had the best nights sleep for a long time, thanks to their fantastic beds and pillows, I would go back just to sleep.
The food was great, nicely laid out at breakfast and tasty, this included the evening meals and we ate in the bar and restaurant.
We even forgot a jacket there and it was back out our home within 2 days.
My only warning is as a town Macroom, doesn't have a lot, so if you are happy to stay and relax in the hotel, which isn't a bad idea as the rooms are nice, there is a lovely leisure centre and spa treatments are a vailable (would definitely recommend this, especially for the mums who are escaping for a weekend without the kids) or if you don't mind driving, it is a great place to base yourself from to visit other areas of cork and even south Kerry.

I would definitely return again, (preferably without children) the place is a little gem and I'm trying not to share it in case it gets too busy, tho after our stay I can't help but share this place with all my friends and family.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
CHCork, Guest Relations Manager at Castle Hotel and Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2012

Thank you very much for posting your recent review of The 4 Star Castle Hotel. We are so delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay so much! We really do appreciate you taking the time to let us and others know about your experience. I have shared your very kind remarks and lovely words of praise with all our staff and we are all ready looking forward to the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 31 July 2012

This was our fourth visit to this hotel and we can honestly say that we have never been disappointed - hence our return visits! The atmosphere is welcoming. All members of staff from reception to bar, restaurant and housekeeping are friendly, genuine and helpful. It is rare to get the feeling that hotel staff really are interested in making your stay an enjoyable one but that's exactly what you get here. The hotel is ideally located for touring the region further west towards Glengarrif and Kenmare and further east towards Cork City, Cobh and Fota. Gougan Barra is definitely worth a visit - weather permitting. The staff at reception will help you put a journey plan together. The food is excellent with plenty of choice on the bar and restaurant menus. The hot food for breakfast is cooked to order and there is a wide selection of cereals etc from the buffet. Look out for their home baked brown bread which is as good as it gets. The gift of our own loaf to take home was a nice touch.

To be fair there is little need for improvement here. As we always feel, the presence of a senior manager on the floor makes all the difference and the management here are very hands on. The rooms are clean and of an adequate size. Beds are comfy. The only gripes we would have are the poor views from the rooms and the wi-fi charge. But both of these can be overlooked in favour of the wonderful staff and convenient location. We will return and would highly recommend to others. Ideal for families and couples.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
CHCork, Public Relations Manager at Castle Hotel and Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2012

Thank you very much for posting your recent review of The 4 Star Castle Hotel. We are so delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay so much! We really do appreciate you taking the time to let us and others know about your experience. I have shared your very kind remarks with all our staff and we are all ready looking forward to the opportunity to welcome you back again soon. (on your fifth visit!).

Reviewed 31 July 2012

Firstly, before describing my stay, I have to say that this is the second time I've stayed here, and the staff are the most welcoming, friendly and helpful I've ever come across. From the receptionists, to the maids to the bar staff and waiters - truly terrific.

The rooms are a little old fashioned for me, but spacious and spotlessly clean, with everything you could need. The atmosphere and service in the bar is excellent - likewise at breakfast where on both occasions I've found the selection to be good and the ingredients good quality.

Slight negatives: The long walk from car park to reception, and then to some of the rooms at the rear of the hotel - it can be quite a distance, but I have to stress that I've always refused the many offers of help with my bags - they are obviously aware of the problem but do their very best to mitigate it. Charging for wi-fi just looks a bit mean these days.

Other negative - On both occasions I've had evening meals I've found them to be very poor quality, particularly for the price.

I will definitely be back.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

Thank you very much for posting your recent review of The 4 Star Castle Hotel. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay so much! We really do appreciate you taking the time to let us and others know about your experience. I have shared your very kind remarks with all our staff and we are all ready looking forward to the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Macroom
Riverside Park Hotel
Sunday's Well
The Kingsley
The Kingsley
#5 of 23 in Cork

Been to Castle Hotel and Leisure Centre? Share your experiences!