“excellent family run hotel”

Castle Hotel and Leisure Centre
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Macroom
WEXFORD
“excellent family run hotel”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Super hotel, we visit a few times every year , probably the best family run hotel in the country. Superb staff . Great bar food ,lovely bedrooms in a very nice village .......an all-round fantastic hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
CHCork, Public Relations Manager at Castle Hotel and Leisure Centre, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Dear Guest,

What a lovely review! Thank you very much for not only choosing to stay once again at The Castle Hotel but for taking the time to also share your Castle Hotel Experience with others. We are truly delighted that your stay was so satisfactory and we very much look forward to the opportunity to welcome you and your family back to Macroom again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Just back from a truly wonderful holiday with our little 16 month old- four nights of pure enjoyment. We felt very much at home with a welcome that made us feel very relaxed and appreciated. All the staff are super nice all the time to everyone which felt like it was very genuine- we look forward to returning in the near future as there's so much to do in the vicinity. The food was gorgeous too. We totally recommend the Castle experience - I'm smiling to myself -its lovely to have such an enjoyable trip.

• Stayed August 2013
CHCork, Guest Relations Manager at Castle Hotel and Leisure Centre, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to let us and others know about your stay at The 4 Star Castle Hotel Macroom. You are most kind to share such lovely remarks, which I have passed them onto all our staff, who will be 'smiling' just like you!
We would of course be thrilled to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Macroom again one day!
Armagh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I stayed here one night with my wife and son. The hotel is in the centre of the town with a carpark at the rear. Our room, a triple with a double and a single bed was clean and comfortable, but only provided two cups. The staff were helpful at all times. Breakfast was good. The muffins are outstanding.
We'd intended to use the swimming pool but discovered that it was obligatory to wear a swimming cap, which could be purchased. This seems really odd to me. We didn't use the pool as a result.
We took a meal in the bar which was good, and the staff particularly helpful and attentive.
Overall it was a pleasant one-night stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank The_Rev007
CHCork, Owner at Castle Hotel and Leisure Centre, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you to you and your family for staying at The Castle Hotel in Macroom. And thank you for sharing your opinions on Trip Advisor. We really value our guests feedback as it helps us to continue to improve our hotel and our facilities. We are delighted to hear that your stay was so pleasant and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Castle Hote in the future.
Summit, New Jersey
Reviewed 5 August 2013

There are aspects of the hotel's location that immediately awaken you to the hard times these fine folk are enduring in the economy just now. A number of shops shuttered and a sense that the town has seen better days. However, with the vigor, kindness and sheer force of nature that the fine folk that run Castle are, Macroom will no doubt see better days and very soon. This hotel is an example of how to treat guests like kings. They bent over backwards whenever and however possible. I had inadvertantly been assigned a room next to some noisy vents - and they immediately switched it. However, I'd asked for a bathtub and they switched it again - with nothing but cordial compliance and kind smiles. The massage therapist was very good indeed and they have a room right on site for her to work her wonders. Eileen Lynch the first night i was there swept into my room like an Irish tour de force and regaled me with all manner of suggestions and observations and she was far from alone in being sociable, considerate, intriguing, entertaining and simply joyful about being alive. She passed me in the hall once, briskly going about her business and at the hall's end - out of view, I caught her singing a bit to herself and this - this in and of itself is a metaphor for the kind of spirit that infuses one and all I came into contact there with, including the wonderful Catherine. Eileen mentioned to me that there was a trad music session on the Tuesday night I began my stay. Lucky she did. I went to Doolin and to Dingle and despite their reputations for trad music centers, it was here at the Castle Hotel in Macroom that I had the best musical night of my entire trip. The room was spacious - it was incredibly comfortable from bed to luxurious lounge chair. The tub was perfect, as was the water pressure and the air conditioner was perfect for the warmer nights. Lastly, although I encourage no one to repeat my awkward actions, I flounced into my aforenoted luxurious chair and the lamp titled and the lampshade was crushed beneath my descending bottom. True it was not an particularly expensive lampshade but I dutifully reported it to the front desk and not one but eventually two fine Castlers poo-pooed my remunerating them for the lampshade. That in a time of great hunger in the land - one hotel I also stayed at had an architect working the front desk because times are so hard - impressed me greatly and please - do not test the theory by sitting on your own lampshade at your stay but be very aware of how kind and solicitous these people are. Even the little cafe connected to the hotel was great fun to pick up my coffees for my intriguing drives through the underbrush and driveways that make up the Irish country road system! Great experience indeed and do select them - perfect center to strike at the Ring and even as far north as Moher. I forgot to add how delicious and fortifying the breakfast was every morning.

Room Tip: Whatever your room, if you have a legitimate concern and are not simply picky to be picky, do bring...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank VikeSavoth
CHCork, Front Office Manager at Castle Hotel and Leisure Centre, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Dear Guest,

What a beautiful review of The Castle Hotel and our staff in Macroom! You are most kind to share your Castle Hotel Experience with us and other readers on Trip Advisor. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your visit so much. I have passed on your remarks to all our team here, who I know will be delighted to read such positive comments. We really hope you will consider staying with us again should you be back in County Cork.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one night last January and found it to be very good. Our family room was very clean and comfortable. Breakfast was very good with a large selection of good quality food. Service was excellent. We also had food in the bar which was very nice with a good kids menu. Staff were very friendly and helpful when booking . Other members of the family were also staying at the hotel as we were attending a funeral. Staff were aware of this when we arrived and were very welcoming. The hotel has a lovely lobby which was ideal for relaxing and chatting in the evening.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
CHCork, Guest Relations Manager at Castle Hotel and Leisure Centre, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Thank you very much for reviewing The 4 Star Castle Hotel Macroom.

I have passed on your very kind remarks to our team here.

We are very sorry that your visit was not for happier reasons but we really do hope we might see you again in the future.
Barrington, Rhode Island
Reviewed 2 August 2013

First, the staff at the Castle are wonderful. From check in to the dining room, everyone was friendly and efficient. The rooms are comfortable and large. The public areas are cosy and inviting. Free wi-fi available in rooms by a limited number of passwords, which by the end of the month become limited. But, there is plenty of space and chairs in the lobby to make use of the free wi-fi there. Plenty of free parking behind the hotel. Breakfast was delicious and plentiful. I really have nothing to complain about!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Thank you very much for your recent review following your visit to The 4 Star Castle Hotel Macroom. I have shared your kind comments and remarks with our staff and we all really hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Macroom should you be in the Lee Valley area again.
Girard, Ohio
Reviewed 30 July 2013

My husband and I arrived for the family gathering and were welcomed, by name! Such a pleasant surprise! We were treated with the utmost courtesy and consideration! The staff was helpful in every possible way.
The hotel is charming, quaint and everything we could have hoped for.
Their dining facilities are wonderful.
Kay McCarthy facilitated everything with grace and care.

We could not be more pleased to have attended.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
CHCork, Director of Sales at Castle Hotel and Leisure Centre, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Thank you so much for choosing The 4 Star Castle Hotel for your recent family gathering. It was our pleasure to host such an important ocassion for you all and we really enjoyed being a part of it.
Thank you most sincerely for your lovely review and very kind comments, which I have shared with our team of staff here.
We hope to have the pleasure of one day welcoming you back again to Macroom.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Macroom
Riverside Park Hotel
The Kingsley
The Kingsley
#5 of 23 in Cork
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,075 reviews

Been to Castle Hotel and Leisure Centre? Share your experiences!