“Food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Castle Hotel and Leisure Centre

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Castle Hotel and Leisure Centre
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Macroom
Cork, Ireland
“Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

Best bar food I've had anywhere. Stayed for two days, tried multiples dishes... the curry specifically is amazing. All the ingredients are locally sourced. Try the prawns, they're huge, even for a starter!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
CHCork, Front Office Manager at Castle Hotel and Leisure Centre, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay at The 4 Star Castle Hotel Macroom and thank you indeed for taking the time to share your experience with us here on Trip Advisor. Feedback always interests us and our staff were really thrilled to know that you enjoyed both your stay and our food. We would be so pleased if you returned for maybe some more prawns should you be in the Macroom/West Cork area again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Cork, Cork, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

My husband my Mum and I visited the Castle Hotel on Friday January 3rd for some lunch. Apparently the 'carvery' in the bar has received best carvery in Cork or Munster??? not sure which award. We often avail of carvery's as they are quick and usually have great choice. Choice I am afraid was totally limited on the day we visited. For the main carvery area there was a choice of Roast Pork, Chicken Curry, Steak burger or Salmon. Neither my Mum or I eat pork and I have never ever visited a carvery that didn't have at least TWO choices of roast of the day. We didn't really want any of the other options so Mum just wanted a salad and some chips and I opted for the warm Cajun chicken and bacon salad and chips. My husband had the salmon. The server was only giving him 2 scoops of mashed potato and he had to ask for another one. The veg was adequate. We went to our table and then I had to go looking for some glasses of water. Any carvery we have been to has had filled glasses of water on a surface near where the food was being served. There was none to be found so I had to ask the barman for some. You would think when he served them that he would notice there were none on the counter for people to avail of. I had to ask for a 2nd glass of water again. The salads were served fairly promptly but we were waiting on the chips. Eventually a waiter brought out ONE portion. We said we asked for two so had to wait for the other one. The chips were 'bitty' a lot of end pieces of potato and some weren't even cooked very well. The Castle Hotel carvery is one big let down and we wont be back. Not offering a choice of two roasts is bad business especially when pork is the only option as a lot of people don't like it. I would not recommend it to anyone. Sorry

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MLORiordan
CHCork, Owner at Castle Hotel and Leisure Centre, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Thank you for your recent review and posting on Trip Advisor. On reading your opinion we were obviously shocked and very disappointed. At The 4 Star Castle Hotel we take every customer remark and comment very seriously indeed. We are very proud of our recent award, 'Best Hotel Carvery in Munster' by Unilever Foods but I can only sincerely apologise for your recent unsatisfactory experience. We have noted all your issues and welcome such feedback as our team are always striving to reach higher and higher standards. In relation to the option of providing two roast options, we do offer this on a weekend basis but currently this is not possible during the week. We do however pay particular emphasis on ensuring that the items we do provide are of a consistent high quality. I did note that you may choose not to return but I would say if you are in the area again, please do drop in and allow us to look after you.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

My wife and I stayed for two nights to attend a family funeral and were most impressed. Though the wearthewr was extremely wet, the interior of the hotel was very welcoming and comforting. The rooms were of a good size and most comfortable, the food both in the regular restaureants and at the formal reception was of a high standard. What topped everyrthing was the attitude and approach of the staff who were not only efficient but naturally friendly. We have stayed at many hotels both abroad and in Ireland which were more grandiose and pretentious but far less professional and warm. We would/will certainly return. I would just add that we didn't use the Spa and Leisure facilities although others in our party enjoyed them. Very good value and a great assert to Macroom.

Room Tip: Reception seemed to arrange this automatically!
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CHCork, Public Relations Manager at Castle Hotel and Leisure Centre, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
May I first extend our condolences to you and your family. We are sorry to hear your stay at The 4 Star Castle Hotel was for sad reasons but we are so pleased to know that you found our hotel, staff and facilities so pleasing. I have shared your lovely remarks with our staff. We all hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future under happier circumstances.
ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

As a frequent visitor to the castle hotel for lunch I was disappointed with Sunday lunch.I had the roast beef as it had previously been excellent but this time it was tough,with a lot of gristle.What has happened to the very tender and lean beef that was always served ?The vegetables were warm not hot and no garlic potatoes on the day !! Portions were also a little on the small side .Unfortunately this is not the first disappointment in the last 9 months and wonder if ye need to review the buffet especially the beef.Service was excellent as usual.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
CHCork, Owner at Castle Hotel and Leisure Centre, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Thank you for sharing your opinion following your recent visit for a meal with us at The 4 Star Castle Hotel Macroom. The experience you describe does not sound in anyway satisfactory and I can understand how disappointed you must have been. This is not what The Castle Hotel is known for and I can only sincerely apologize and invite you to re-visit and give us a chance to redeem ourselves. We continuously strive to higher our standards and I know the team here are all very disappointed that your visit did not meet your expectations. We have taken on board all your comments and we can only hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon and we have the opportunity to show you why we were awarded The Best Hotel Carvery in Munster.
cork
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

Stayed here recently for 2 nights while attending a wedding. The room was spotless and had some lovely touches for the wedding like vit c tablets for the morning after and a welcome note. The food was amazing and the staff were very efficient and polite. One person at out table didn't eat butter and they had no trouble in accommodating him! I spoke with the wedding coordinator a few times Vicky. She was very helpful and there no query she was unable to answer. Over all I would recommend this hotel over and over again for any wedding or just a quite few days away!

• Stayed December 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CHCork, Public Relations Manager at Castle Hotel and Leisure Centre, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you! What a beautiful review of The Castle Hotel! We really do love Wedding Days here in Macroom and we genuinely enjoy looking after each and every bride and groom and their special guests!

On behalf of the Buckley Family and our entire team, may I extend our sincere thanks for taking the time to share your kind comments about The Castle Hotel Experience. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much.

We very much look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back again to Macroom.
Tralee, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

Myself and my partner stayed here from December 9th to December 12th 2013. From the moment we arrived the staff were professional, friendly, helpful and welcoming (but not suffocating). We parked in the hotel car park, a short hop to the reception, then up in the lift to our large and very comfortable room. Good sized double bed, good sized TV, nice bath and shower. The breakfast was great - a good choice of cooked breakfasts in addition to a great buffet. we had one meal in the bar, which was very good and great value. Macroom is a lovely town and there is alot to see in the surrounding area - if you have any questions the staff will answer them. Highly recommended, we had a lovely time.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
CHCork, Front Office Manager at Castle Hotel and Leisure Centre, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Thank you for choosing The Castle Hotel and Leisure Centre for your recent winter break in Macroom.

And thank you most sincerely for reviewing us on TripAdvisor! Our guests often tell us how helpful it is to read past guests' comments before booking their own visits. I have shared your very kind remarks and comments with all our staff and we hope you'll choose Castle Hotel and Leisure Centre the next time you're in Macroom.
Cork
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed in the castle hotel on the 29th of nov, on arrival , as we were walking from the car park with our bags we were greeted by a very pleasant man who offered to tAke our bags ( we were told afterwards he was one of the owners of the hotel) this is where the little extras make a difference, he directed us to reception where we were met by the jolliest most helpful receptionist we have ever met and we do weekend breaks a lot, what a start to our night in the castle park, also the hotel was beautifully decorated for Christmas and a lovely warm feeling in the hotel, we went to our room, which was spotless and I had to make a comparison as the last hotel I stayed in was the mucross park hotel which could learn quite a lot from the castle hotel both in cleanliness and hospitality, the pool was lovely and clean and staff lovely, I can't speak highly enough about the back, shoulder and neck massage I had as it was absolutely fabolous, and the lady was extremely pleasant and obliging, dinner in the hotel was excellent I'm fairly critical being a chef myself, until it came to desert, there were 6 of us eating and 2 of us asked for the cheese board, we couldn't cut one of the cheeses, as lit was too hard the choice of cheese was unaceptable ,and overall it wasn't a bit enticing which was disappointing, also the young waitress wasn't very helpful when we brought this to her attention which was disappointing as we had gotten so used to such friendly professional staff,but other than this we had a wonderful stay in the castle hotel, I would recommend the chef has a look at his choice of cheeses , overal though we really enjoyed our stay, would love to stay here again, well done!!

• Stayed November 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
CHCork, Director of Sales at Castle Hotel and Leisure Centre, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you most sincerely for taking the time to share your opinion of The 4 Star Castle Hotel Macroom with us and others. And thank you also for choosing to stay with us during your visit to Macroom Co. Cork.
It was our pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your break so much and we are always delighted to receive feedback from our guests. I have shared your very kind comments with our team here and we all would very much welcome the opportunity to look after you once again, should you be in our area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Macroom
Centre
#5 of 23 in Cork
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,037 reviews
Fernhill House Hotel
#1 of 8 in Clonakilty

Been to Castle Hotel and Leisure Centre? Share your experiences!