“A Very Pleasant and Peaceful Stay!”

Castle Hotel and Leisure Centre
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Macroom
Reviewed 28 April 2009

My elderly mother & I had the recent pleasure of a three night break in the
beautiful Castle Hotel. We arrived to a perfect Irish Welcome and felt so at
ease and relaxed from the very start of our stay. Our spacious twin bedroom
was located on the first floor and provided us with a peaceful and restful
nights sleep during our stay. I cannot recommend or speak highly enough of
the hotel and their staff who worked endlessly to ensure our visit was a
complete success and were helpful in every way possible. Many thanks!

• Stayed: April 2009
There are newer reviews for Castle Hotel and Leisure Centre

Reviewed 18 March 2009

My husband and I stayed in the Castle Hotel Macroom in February for our Anniversary. We knew this hotel as we had lived in the neighbourhood some years ago and used to eat here regularly, so we were looking forward to staying here as we knew it to be a friendly hotel. When we were in bed we realised that there was a constant very loud hum coming from the walls of the room, and as we were very tired, we didn't want to get up and complain to get our room changed but we realised that it was a mistake not to have done so as the hum was so bad that we felt ill and exhausted by the morning. So bad did we feel, that we completely forgot that it was our Anniversary !. I found it difficult to eat any breakfast as I was so shaken up by the awful night I had spent.
We complained at the desk and they changed our room to a nice quiet room ( I had asked for a quiet room in my reservation!) I know in general that the hotel staff are very friendly and accommodating, but though the room was changed I did not receive any apology nor indeed was any notice given to my complaint of the noise in the room and though I filled out the form that was in the room I did not hear subsequently from the hotel. I know from experience that this problem with room 126 cannot have been unknown as it is situated over the swimming pool and feel very annoyed that we were given a room that had such a problem. We went down the corridor and found that the rooms at the end were quiet so the motor or whatever it was, must have been situated under room 126. It would have been good to have received some recognition of our complaint as our visit was really marred by the effects of the noise of the first night, and we left with a disappointed feeling that we had made a mistake in chosing that hotel.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
CHCork, Sales & Marketing Manager at Castle Hotel and Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2009

Thank you for bringing to our attention this very bad noise you heard on the night of your first stay with us. May I take this opportunity to sincerely apologise for your very unsatisfactory experience with us. I can fully understand your annoyance and disappointment, as we all look forward to a good night's sleep. It is also clear your complaint was not dealt with professionally at the time. May I offer as way of an apology, my commitment to personally look after your reservation and visit, should you consider a retrun stay with us. I would very much like the opportunity to make amends and provide you with the 4 star service we aim to offer each of our guests during their stay. Should you wish to consider our offer, I would invite you to contact me directly and I will ensure your next experience at The Castle Hotel meets and beats your expectations.

Reviewed 19 November 2008

Ok – I am very late in writing this so apologies to the hotel. I attended my sisters wedding in the Castle at the beginning of the year. We stayed the night of the wedding & two nights after to unwind and relax after the big day.

I won’t bore you with the details of the wedding planning, but needless to say that was professional, straight forward and nothing was too much trouble for John-Paul and his team. On arrival from the church we were greeted by champagne, a log fire, and a warm and cosy hotel. Lovely on a winter’s day! Staff were professional & courteous and all the guests felt at home.

Check in was a breeze – despite large numbers congregating at the same time. Luggage was looked after & keys given out quickly so no-one missed any of the action downstairs. The rooms were a mix of old and new, and one guest couldn’t believe how big her bed was – they were thinking that they would not be able to find their partner!

The wedding breakfast was amazing. Choice of Steak, cooked medium or well, and fish. Sorbets & desserts were gorgeous. The food was of restaurant standard rather that the usual mass produced ‘hotel function’ food. We danced the night away until the early hours & there was no sign of the bar ever closing!

Breakfast the morning after was served until 11am – greatly appreciated by all our guests. We were the only people in the hotel so suggested that the staff get a lie in and not start breakfast until 9.30! We stayed on a 3 night B&B and 1 dinner deal and chose to have the dinner that night as some family were also staying on. To our surprise, the group of 20 (after the bride & grooms agreement) were offered the left over wedding wine! Not many hotels would do that as it was doing them out of wine sales! Dinner was lovely, and not a bit of wedding left-overs in sight (I have experienced this in other hotels). Again, the bar showed no signs of closing for residents that night! We retired up to the library in the early hours and John-Paul brought up some chocolate biscuits & crisps should we feel hungry. At this point we started to think that he never went home!

The third day was a much quieter affair. We all relaxed in front of the fire & took things very easy. All in all, a lovely wedding & and great weekend. I cannot wait to go back. One thing worth noting, all wedding guests staying were offered a discounted weekend or 3 night stay, not the usual inflated prices some hotels charges, and the bride & groom were under no pressure to sell a certain number of rooms to guests. John-Paul and his staff are truly exceptional.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank ShauntheSheep
Reviewed 2 November 2008

Had a two night stay over bank holiday weekend, accompanied by parents who are in late seventies and two cuildren age 11 and 12, Everyone enjoyed their stay. We had a family room and connecting double at the back of the hotel on what I assume is the new wing. My father is a retired travel agent so would be used to staying in the best hotels around the world, I work in the service industry, so we look at things in a slightly different light. Despite the varied ages we found all our needs were met. The rooms were large and very clean. We found excellent service from all departments. The reception arranged golf for my husband and father and recommended some lovely drives for us to take. The surrounding area is beautiful for drives or walks.The children enjoyed the pool which was clean and well supervised by friendly staff. Dinner and breakfast were lovely. We liked the fact that bar food was available throughout the day allowing for us to do different things at different times. The location is good as you can nip to Cork easily for some retail therapy then return to relax at the hotel. Overall a very enjoyable weekend and we all would recommend it to all ages.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 August 2008

Second visit to the Castle and just as good as remembered.
Staff most friendly. Food excellent. Accomodation excellent.
Location excellent. Will definitely be a regular visitor.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
CHCork, Sales & Marketing Manager at Castle Hotel and Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2008

Thank you for taking the time to review The Castle Hotel on Trip Advisor. We are delighted you enjoyed your recent visit to Macroom and I have passed on your very kind comments to all our staff. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Castle in the future.

Kind regards,

Rachael Kohler.

Reviewed 16 August 2008

My wife and I had originally stayed in the Castle Hotel for a weekend in 2007. The service we received by the staff was second to none. There is a fantastic homely feel to this Hotel which would make anybody feel relaxed once they enter the premises. The bar appears to be very lively and any time we went into it there was always live music playing during the night. The food in both the cafe, bar and restaurant is of an extremely high standard and the rooms are very spacious and relaxing. With the service and special touches that this Hotel possess my wife and I decided to have our wedding reception there on the 12th July 2008. I must thank the Hotels Manger John Paul for all the assistance he gave us on our wedding day. He is a credit to the hotel and we will be definitely coming back on numerous occassions in the future. Looking forward to seeing you all.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 August 2008

Booked 2 rooms via the hotels own website under their July Sunday specials of EUR59 per room - as one of the rooms was for my elderly parents I decided to opt for the option to upgrade their room to an Executive for an extra EUR10. The hotels website states that check-in is from 3pm, we arrived at this time and had to wait an hour until our rooms were ready. When we got to the rooms (long corridor walk - no assistance with baggage) I noticed that my parents 'Executive room' was exactly the same as ours. At that point we were all so shattered from travelling we decided to just leave it as we did not want to wait another hour for the room to be ready. The rooms themselves were quite dated and are in bad need of modernisation. The breakfast is actually quite good with a very good selection on offer. At checkout the lady at reception said 'that will be EUR293 for both rooms' even though she had a print out in her hand showing that I had booked both rooms for EUR128 inn total. Once I pointed this out she muttered something about our booking having been for 3 persons not 4 - I clarified that this error was due to a limitation on their own website which defualts to 1 person for double rooms. She did the usual tip/tap on a claculator before pronouncing grumpily 'that will be EUR128 so'
Overall not a very pleasant stay - would not pay more than the EUR60 we paid for B&B

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank RovingRaphoeMan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Macroom
Riverside Park Hotel
Sunday's Well
The Kingsley
The Kingsley
#5 of 23 in Cork

Been to Castle Hotel and Leisure Centre? Share your experiences!