“1740 Country Home a Real Treat”

Longueville House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Mallow
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Stayed 2 nights with 3 other couples and loved the atmosphere. We were there during the historic 2013 "heat wave" (temperatures around 80 degrees), with sunny, Southern California type weather. Since the hotel is not air conditioned -- which I can totally understand given typical Irish weather -- 3 of our 4 rooms were pretty hot, necessitating keeping the doors open to try to generate a breeze. The fourth room and bathroom (where my husband and I stayed) had 5 windows on three sides and we enjoyed lovely breezes at all times. Accommodations very comfortable. The house is quite wonderful if you like authentically old settings, which I generally do. Lovely antique furniture everywhere, a game room/library, 2 parlors, etc, etc. Some might not like it that there was only one (old style) TV with limited channels in the game room and there were no TVs in the bedrooms. Our group was in Ireland to play golf and we were surprised that there was no way to watch the British Open while we were on the property, but really, the atmosphere is such a throwback to 200+ years ago, as long as you can get into that you don't really mind. Enjoyed walking around the area, through the apple orchards, sheep and horse pastures, finding a pheasant house, a chicken coop, beehives, an amazing vegetable garden, etc, etc. It is mind boggling to think how much money it must take to keep things going. The owners are committed to making guests comfortable and happy and they succeeded with us. The restaurant is superb. We had planned to go elsewhere for one of our nights there, but the food was so outstanding the first night that we ate there again. Second night not quite as good, but lovely surroundings in the dining room. Not much to do around the nearby town of Mallow, but if you like rustic and rural, this is a great place.

Room Tip: We were in the largest of the rooms -- Vineyard. A bit more expensive but worth it. Multiple wind...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AlisonC561

Reviewed 22 July 2013

I would just like to let you know how very much my husband and I enjoyed our stay at Longueville House Thursday. Barbara is phenomenal and went out of her way to assure our comfort. Walking in upon arrival, we felt as if we were being welcomed by an old friend! She arranged a cab for us to go to the Bruce Springsteen concert, and made us delicious sandwiches very very (very!) late at night after the show. What a wonderful, warm person she is! On top of her kind disposition, the house, grounds and food were exquisite!!! What a wonderful (too short) stay we had.

We look forward to our next – hopefully longer! – visit.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NYCJayhawk
Reviewed 21 May 2013

Saturday 18th May 2013 we celebrated the first communion of our daughter, 17 adults and 6 children.
Really oustanding.
Excellent food, friendly and efficient service.
They run a lot to fix some heating problems so we could use the Conservatorium room, what was mostly appreciated (beautiful views, plenty of natural light what is pretty important in Ireland).
They have 4 dogs that were playing with the children in a safe place, allowing the adults to relax and enjoy the food.
Very good value for money. Everybody delighted. I fully recommend the place.
Pablo.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We took advantage of a deal to stay overnight and eat here, this place having been touted as very good.

It started well with tea in the Drawing Room which was both stunning and relaxed with roaring open fire. Our bedroom itself was very good and spacious, but the bathroom was a bit faded. The worst feature of the bathroom, though, was the lack of hot water in both the evening and the morning with the hot tap just about getting up to lukewarm. My wife was delighted with a walk in wardrobe, but felt that a pair of bathrobes could have been provided.

A walk around the grounds was taken, but sadly offered very little (though the fruit orchards must look special when in full bloom) and could do with a serious spruce up. Back in the lovely drawing room I took the Longueville cider made on site and it was delicious. So much so that I bought a case to take home. However, both myself and my wife agreed that the dinner was somewhat of a disappointment. Maybe expectations had been set too high, but in no way could I compare the food here to the Ivory Tower, a challenge that I was hoping could be made. The staff were very good, but drawing room aside I got the distinct feeling of faded glory.

I hope I am wrong and I wish those involved all the best.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I was a big fan of this place and have visited many times, over the last year it has gone down in both quality and service. Over a year ago they dropped their prices and changed the menu
structure (to suit the times I guess), but unfortunately the quality and service have changed also. You can't do this in a restaurant of this standard and expect loyal customers to accept it. Its a same.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 March 2013

The best food ever in Ireland! We will surely go back! Also outstanding service and fantastic location. The hotel is full of character! Try 4 courses sample menu, DIVINE!
The food was very well presented & cooked to perfection. We also loved the atmosphere, lovely and welcoming fire place.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 January 2013

Longueville House Hotel is a charming original irish manor house. The classical georgian architecture impresses from the minute you arrive at the entrance hall. The house has been lovingly nurtured and maintained in a welcoming style by owners the O'Callaghan family. Aisling does a wonderful job as chatelaine front of house and her husband William specialises as the Raymond Blanc trained chef, with a real interest in good quality local produce,much of it from their own estate. Our post Christmas visit was nurtured by blazing log fires in the drawing room and excellent breakfasts, elaborate dinners and great staff in every department. If you like old fashioned hospitality and a home from home feeling rather than homogenised upmarket chain hotels, try Longueville House. it's a gem.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank goanpearl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mallow
Springfort Hall Country House
#3 of 38 in Killarney
Lake Hotel
Lake Hotel
#10 of 38 in Killarney

Been to Longueville House Hotel? Share your experiences!