“Lovely experience”

Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 27 September 2013

We went for lunch a few weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed our food. The service was excellent. Food tasted delicious. A the carrot cake was exquisite!

As a result of such a positive experience three of us went for brunch last week - unfortunately I didn't check. The restaurant was only open for cakes/coffee/scones at that time and didn't open until noon.
A little disappointed we ended up having cake and coffee instead. The carrot cake wasn't as fresh and moist as we had experienced the time before.

Still all in all a beautiful place, loads of character and if you are there for lunch, I am sure you will love it! There are heaps of little nooks and crannies - even an outside area which is gorgeous. Take the time and check it out - just don't expect brunch!!

Reviewed 22 September 2013

Stumbled on this restaurant at the bottom of the town while looking for somewhere to have a snack. Glad we didn't opt for one of the earlier places as this is a super run little establishment with excellent food

Reviewed 20 September 2013 via mobile

We visited Midelton last week. It's a lovely town. And there are a few good places to eat there so there is choice. But personally I just live the 'feel' of the Farmgate restaurant and country store. The staff are so friendly and helpful. I visited because it's coming up to Christmas cake /pudding time and they used sell homemade candied peel. They don't now but, they directed me elsewhere locally.
Lunch :
I had Beef Stroganoff.. With Basmati rice, fluffy. Yum. The meat was melting, the sauce savory and lickupable!!! (I know, there's no such word).. But you get my drift.
My other half had Duck (on the specials for the day). Portions were so generous we decided this would replace dinner that night.. He reckons he got a half duck. Succulent and beautifully cooked. For drinks we had house water and Coke. Lunch came to 48euro. As I said we changed our minds from a soup snack to a main meal, such was the choice. I have had the Irish Stew there last year and it was so comforting.
A word to the wise, there's really no point giving out after the event, if something is not right during service that is the time to give the establishment a chance to put things right.. To have a chance for Service Recovery. It's just not fair to say I'll wait to see if they ask me how are things. With the best will in the world people just can't get to cover all bases in a busy buzzy spot.
In my humble opinion the Farmgate has the most lovely country feel. It's different. It's not fine dining as in linen etc but it is quirky, eclectic and different. Odd wooden tables, large canvas printing s cover the wall. A grand piano manages to fill a corner.. Painted corrugated iron gives a rustic feel. I love the products in the shop also.
I'd recommend you to give this restaurant a try. It's sister is upstairs in the English Market. Equally good, but the atmosphere here is great. Enjoy

Reviewed 6 September 2013

On my annual visit back to Cork from SA, my sister suggested we go here for lunch. I have to say I had my reservations and mainly because of the name? Don't judge the book as they say! What a truly lovely afternoon we had! I had two young kids with me, we sat outside and despite there being no amenities for them, the kids were amused with the place itself, the flowers and the bees! Lunch was fantastic, we had soup and amazing homemade brown bread and washed down with locally brewed beer. That alone was such a lovely privilege. There was a wonderful mix of people, some were obvious tourists, some on work lunch breaks and a few locals, so it all made for a great people watching experience! There is shop selling lots of local and Irish made produce that isn't overpriced and if your a tourist, you'll pick up some lovely unique pieces. Whatever your doing Farmgate, your doing it right! Well done!

Reviewed 5 September 2013

We were recommended to go to Farmgate by an Irish friend who is a chef and cookery teacher which meant that it had to be pretty good to make it onto her list. We planned the last three days of our two-week holiday in South West/Southern Ireland in order to be able to have dinner here on Saturday night. It was already pretty booked up by the time I rang earlier in the week but we were offered a table for 9pm which suited us fine and were told that we could come in earlier and have a drink if we would like to. From the moment we walked in, it was perfect. The entrance is incredibly welcoming with the lovely shelves packed full of goodies on your right and then there's the open passe on the right with a view into the kitchen and the sight of delicious food coming out. Walking into the main dining area, you are greeted by interesting art and sculpture around the room and a warm, buzzy atmosphere of people having a good evening. We were extremely well looked after during our dinner, especially by the manager and our main waitress who were attentive (without overdoing it), knowledgeable and engaged. The food was, quite simply, spectacular - a warm black pudding tart with hollandaise sauce was sublime (and when I pondered on how it was made I was told the four ingredients without any hesitation - I will be attempting it at home at moment now!), as were the mussels with garlic, ginger and coriander. These were followed by turbot with a lemon and caper sauce and roasted monkfish which I chose to pair with crab and mussel sauce - both were cooked to perfection and the sauces were delicious - accompanied by the very best vegetables: Irish new potatoes, freshly podded peas with mint and steamed carrots enveloped in a glaze of butter and sugar - we had to ask for more of these as one helping was just not enough! Pudding was just not possible but I am quite prepared to bet they are equally spectacular. The wine list was interesting, varied and not crazily overpriced as so many are and you can have a half carafe of many of the bottles on the list - such a great idea. Ireland is not cheap when it comes to eating out and the cost of living generally - this was our treat of the holiday and we were utterly delighted with the choice. It has now become the benchmark by which we will judge other restaurants and meals. Thank you so much to all at Farmgate who made it such a spectacular end to our trip.

1  Thank Winkie P