“A nice B & B, friendly owner and good quality food”
Review of Macliam Lodge

Macliam Lodge
Ranked #2 of 14 Clonakilty B&B and Inns
Cork, Cork, Ireland
“A nice B & B, friendly owner and good quality food”
Reviewed 31 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at Macliam Lodge last night as we had a wedding in a nearby hotel. We checked in on our way to the hotel for the reception. Maeve came out to meet us and was very friendly and welcoming. She showed us to our room and gave us the keys for the front door. The only disappointing thing was the size of the room. it was really really small. I am aware we were late booking it and they were fully booked because of the wedding therefore we probably got the last room available. We didn't spend much time in the room except to sleep anyway so it didn't put us off. The room was clean and the bedding was absolutely lovely, really comfortable and luxurious. There were tea and coffee facilities and biscuits provided (not mad about Tupperware containers but biscuits are always a very nice touch) The bathroom was great, spacious and the shower was fantastic. I love a free standing shower and it was really big.

We slept very well and the dining room is gorgeous, very spacious and well laid out, I loved the colour of the walls. There was plenty to choose from in the buffet. We were absolutely stunned at how quickly after ordering the hot food was served and I can tell you the quality was second to none. The bacon was possibly the nicest I have ever tasted. There wasn't a hint of grease and the food was perfectly cooked. I would recommend Macliam Lodge to anyone looking for a B and B that is on the luxurious scale with very warm welcome for everyone. It had been years since we stayed in a B and B and Macliam Lodge was a good choice on this occasion

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 24 August 2014

My wife and I stayed there for one night while visiting Clonakilty. Room was spacious, but bathroom had some mould on shower surround. Breakfast was very good and freshly cooked and served to each table.
We had pleasant 15 minute walk into Clonakilty for dinner, but might not be as nice on a wet or cold night.
Not great value for money and additional cost of 3% to use credit card seems a strange.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BrendanO
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We have just returned home from a weeks stay at this B&b.The whole experience was wonderful from beginning to end. I cannot recommend this B&b highly enough. Our room was perfect and breakfast both plentiful and delicious. Maeve and John go that extra mile to make you feel at home with true Irish hospitality and craic. Thank you from the O'Brien family.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 23 July 2014

If you are looking for hospitality with a touch of family feeling this is the place to stay,rooms are very spacious,clean,bright and tidy.It also caters for wheelchair users which is an added plus.The breakfast was freshly cooked and had the best free range eggs had ever tasted. Dont miss this out as your destination, 2mins to the village centre,Clonakilty is a lovely place.

Room Tip: any room, they are all quiet
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Scotrish01
Sidney, Canada
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Macliam Lodge is the best place to stay in Ireland! The ambiance is perfect, Maeve's Irish breakfast is the best I have ever had. Her husband John is a character and the nicest guy. My room was so delightful I didn't want to leave! Yes, it certainly is only a 5 minute walk to town along a lovely road with lots to sight-see along the way. I do not hesitate to recommend this lovely corner of Ireland and the gem of Clonaklty!

My stay was so enjoyable that I cannot wait to get back! Maeve and John are really good people. We have become good friends and keep in touch. How may other places can you say that about!

Enjoy! Trish Newell of the Spiller clan, Sidney, BC, Canada

Room Tip: actually facing the road was lovely and bright - all the rooms were nice.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Limerick
Reviewed 1 July 2014

From the minute Maeve came out to greet us with her sparkling personality and ease till the moment we left 2 days later, there is NOTHING that I could suggest that could have made our experience any better! Besides a very spacious room, oh-so-comfortable beds and power showers that washed the cobwebs away for sure, the breakfast was fabulous; healthy options available on the continental side as well as the full Irish too (there was a lovely young girl serving the breakfast and so obliging)... Maeve has a very natural gift to make one feel welcome without being intrusive. A weekend away with my Mam was made even more perfect by staying in this little piece of Heaven and Maeve certainly added to that! We will certainly be returning! Thanks to Maeve and family...

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Waterford
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Stayed here for a wedding at the weekend and I have to say that this place is a gem. The rooms were spotlessly clean and the beds were so comfortable!!! The bathroom is sparklingly clean and nice size shower. Only thing I wasnt crazy about was the tupperware tub of biscuits on the tea tray I mean its not that big of a thing to buy some individually wrapped biscuits or bars! But this is only a matter of opinion and not a reflection on the place itself which was excellent. While I think it is slightly expensive for a guesthouse I would nonetheless recommend. Its is a very short (but uphill!) walk from Fernhill hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple