Fernhill House Hotel
US$154
US$220
US$206
Agoda.com
Quality Hotel And Leisure Centre(Clonakilty)(Great Value!)
US$151
US$135
US$158
O'Donovan's Hotel(Clonakilty)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsdrinks receptionwedding venuewedding receptiongolf buggyfish and chip shopo neillfrom start to finishwedding co ordinatorwedding reviewmoment we set footdream weddingwest corkamazing weddingsunday lunchfunction rooma family run hoteltop class
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed for one night as part of a tour. Had a spacious room with a balcony. Comfy bed and clean, well appointed bathroom. Cozy bar area, large dining room. Fantastic dinner and breakfast. Take time to walk through the gardens with your camera!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Michael F, Owner at Fernhill House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2014

Thank you for your lovely review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and as an avid photographer myself I am particularly pleased that you found our gardens photogenic. If it is not too much hassle, please forward any nice pictures.

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Lovely place, rooms are nice & staff attentive. I had to depart early the following morning for work & i was assured by the receptionist that the chef was coming in to cook my breakfast - which was a nice touch.... I would like to say the breakfast I had was the best thing I had eaten all week, it was lovely. Many thanks for welcoming me back & I'm looking forward to my next stay.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank intrepidengineer

Thank you for taking the time to give some feedback on your stay and especially sharing some photos. I showed your comments and photo to our breakfast Chef Eilis and she was thrilled that you enjoyed it. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day so we always strive to ensure that it is done right. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I attended a wedding at Fernhill House Hotel last Saturday 19th July and cannot say enough about this hotel! I know that you will find it hard to get a warmer welcome than in West Cork, and Fernhill House had it in spades! Every single person working here that I encountered were courteous, friendly and helpful. The setting for a wedding is just beautiful. There is the main hotel and a marquee in the grounds, which the guests were given the option of being "golf buggied" down to or alternatively take a stroll down there for the champagne reception. Afterwards the function room was perfect for the medium sized wedding party, food great, waiting staff lovely! I would like to thank Glenn (south African guy) and Brian in the bar who were great. All over from reception staff to chambermaids (not sure if that's politically correct) were fabulous! Stay there or better still - book your wedding! CLASS!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Alisuea

Thank you very much for your kind words. Your feedback about our staff being 'courteous, friendly and helpful' is especially appreciated as we strive to promote this atmosphere and I am sure that your review will help encourage it further.

Thank you again and we hope to be able to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

I attended a wedding at the Fernhill House Hotel early in July. I stayed in Clonakilty for nearly a week, but the Fernhill House Hotel was full for part of the time, so I also stayed at O'Donovan's Hotel in central Clonakilty. The Fernhill House Hotel was OK (the wedding itself went very well), but there were a few things that were quite annoying as a hotel guest. Overall, I had a much better experience at O'Donovan's.

The Fernhill House Hotel hosts many weddings, especially over summer. It is known as a wedding venue in the local area. If you're not going to be a wedding guest and are just looking for a place to stay, you might want to look elsewhere. It does seem like regular guests can take a bit of a back seat to wedding guests (I saw some frustration about getting attention from staff because they were very busy with wedding parties). Also, there were complaints from the regular guests about late-night music/noise from the wedding.

Things at the Fernhill House Hotel are very bride- and groom-oriented. On one hand, this is great for the bride and groom. I was really happy for my relatives and for the other brides and grooms I saw during my stay, because they were treated like royalty. Their rooms were excellent, the service they received was excellent--the staff really went out of their way to be helpful. I helped to plan the wedding and I know that wedding prices are cheaper at the Fernhill House Hotel than at many local venues.

As a wedding guest, I found that the staff could be really great. But at times, they seemed overwhelmed and disorganized. They were all very young and seemed out of their depth.

For example, I called in advance--and so did the bride on a separate occasion--to find out whether there would be a place for arriving guests to get changed on the day of the wedding. We were told that guests could check into their rooms at midday and that a changing room would be found for those guests who weren't planning on staying at the hotel. If we had been told there would not be a place to get changed, we would have warned everyone in advance and made different arrangements. When guests started arriving--hot and sweaty from traveling and lugging their bags up the hill to the hotel (there were no taxis available that day in town and the hotel is not in the central part of town), they were told that the check-in time was actually 3 pm, which was the start time of the wedding. There was not even a room to change in. The hotel staff advised going elsewhere to get changed. There were guests from the previous wedding the day before who apparently did not check out of their rooms when they should have. Instead of dealing with those people, the staff had us wait. There were only two staff members dealing with ~300 people (the guests from the previous wedding, the guests from our wedding, and regular guests). When I eventually made it to my room, it was sauna-hot, with no air conditioning and had not been cleaned properly. I had about 15 minutes to get cleaned up and dressed, and there was sweat pouring off me. The guests were all pretty irritated at this point.

The wedding went without a hitch. The food service and quality at the reception was good. There were problems with the bar-tenders. They were very young and many of the guests were upset because they were rude. They wouldn't take drink orders and made surprisingly rude remarks about the way guests were dressed.

I don't want to be too negative. The venue is beautiful, with well-maintained gardens. Like I said, the bride and groom were very satisfied and that's the main thing. Also, once the wedding was over, the staff were much nicer. It seems like they don't have enough help to deal with large parties.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback on your stay.
I am glad that you enjoyed your overall time at Fernhill. Every guest is important to us.
I will explain some of the issues that you encountered at check in .
We did and do have more staff on duty than '2 for 300'. We have over 110 staff members at Fernhill House Hotel & Gardens with regular training sessions and extensive standard operating procedures. Some of our staff members may seem young as they are under thirty but I can assure you that they are highly trained and competent.
Could you please contact me and let me know exactly what happened with the bar tender. I must say that I have never encountered this with our staff before but it is a very serious matter and I would like to investigate it thoroughly.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

My new wife and I got married in Fernhill House Hotel and also had a BBQ the next day in the marquee. Both days were spectacular. All of the Staff, in particular Caroline, Neil and Michael were fantastic and made sure that everything happened as planned both days. There were children at the wedding and without asking, Fernhill specifically designated somebody to make sure that the kids had everything they needed throughout the wedding reception. The hotel was also very open to letting the kids run around and play in their own way, which was superb for the parents.

The marquee was a fantastic venue for our drinks and canape reception before the main meal and it was also great for the BBQ the next day. We were shocked at how much better priced the hotel was for rooms, food and drink compared to other hotels. They also never made us feel like we needed to rush out of the bar in the evening and made sure they kept everybody happy.

It was all the small things that made the weekend excellent, e.g. as we all returned to the hotel bar on Sunday, the owner brought us out free food for everybody who was there and we hadn't even asked.

You would find it very difficult to find a better hotel in Cork, let alone West Cork.

Dave & Elena

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms, but the top floor overlooking the countryside is great.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank davemurphy10

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review. I have passed on your comments and they were greatly appreiated by all. It was our pleasure to help make your Wedding extra special. We hope to see you again in the near future and wish you a lifetime of happiness and joy together from all at Fernhill.