“Hen Party”
Review of Richys Restaurant

Richys Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 47 Restaurants in Clonakilty
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood, Healthy, Fusion
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Always using locally sourced produce you are gaurenteed you meal at Richys is top quality every time
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I was at a hen party down in Cork and we went to Richy's for our dinner on the Saturday night. There was a large group of us (15 in total) and the resturant seated us in the front area of the resturant away from the other guests which I felt was good as we were able to chat and be lively without disturbing the other guests.

I found the waiter to be unhelpful when we first arrived and when we asked if there was a vegitarian menu avaialble he wasnt very helpful in arranging to get the menu.

The food was AMAZING everything was cooked perfectly and really fresh. I had the fish goujons for my main and they were yum.

Would recommend this resturant and will visit again if down in clonakility.

richys101, Manager at Richys Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Thank you so much for your review . I am delighted to hear that all the hen party enjoyed yourselves, that you thought the food was “amazing” and we appreciate your future recommendations and return visit. I am sorry to hear that you felt our wait staff was unhelpful.
When a large group arrives initially we try to get everyone settled and with a drink before we worry about food orders also our waiter was just checking with management and chefs regarding availability of items which is what caused the delay as opposed to any intentional unhelpfulness. We will aim to exceed your expectations on your next visit . Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Clonakilty.

There are newer reviews for Richys Restaurant

Reviewed 11 May 2014

We often use tripadvisor when visiting a new place to check out the local "must see" or where to eat places and most of the time we are pleased with tripadvisor recommendations. HOWEVER while on our way to Clonakilty we were searching best places to eat and Richys Bar and Bistro came up as number 3 out of 29 so we thought we would give it a go.
It was sunday lunch time and the place was quiet enough, we sat at a table for 4 but had to move shortly after as there was a terrible draught blowing in from the kitchen ( where a door open to an outside area was died open). We were reading the menus and a waitress came over and took our drink orders - fine. She answered any questions that we had and finally we made our choices. Our food arrived but it I can only say it was mediocre, lacked seasoning, and overall our trip to this restaurant was disappointing. The wait staff never came back to our table after the food was served and when paying the bill I was asked if everything was ok. I replied that" it was only alright". The cashier asked if there was a problem, I said that there wasnt a problem but the meal was only ok. She seemed happy enough that she had asked and there wassnt a problem so she gave me the final tally. I paid and left.....never intending to return I might add.

1  Thank DianeIrl

Thank you for your review. We are proud of the 12 years of hard work to achieve our placement at no 3 in Clonakilty on trip advisor. I have noted that you dined in our casual café area on the Sunday in question as opposed to our restaurant area but we have pride in the quality of food and service in both and am sorry to hear you were disappointed.
We do indeed need ventilation through the kitchen or often accessing the rear of the building from time to time sorry that this caused a draught and I am glad to hear that we were able to seat you at a more comfortable table at the time.
Upon reading your review it appears our wait staff followed our correct steps of service while waiting on you – taking drink orders, answering any questions , taking you food order and delivering the food . We are at a loss to understand why your trip to our café was such a disappointment . I am sorry you felt the food was only mediocre- our seafood selection plate is a very popular dish that has a wide range of both hot and cold local seafood items on it ,Richys Mauritian Beef curry has been a firm favourite over the last 12 years so much so we sell the spices and share the recipe to all those to ask. I noteyou also had a sandwich and our cauliflower and potato curry and do not understand where they fell down in your opponion with regards seasoning.
After your food was served our wait staff popped down to you to see if you wanted any black pepper added to your dishes. I wish if you had an issue with your food at this point you could have highlighted it at this stage to give us the opportunity to correct the situation for you .
In the casual café environment seeing as it is a small space should you have needed any additional attention I am sure our staff were present , visible and happy to oblige.
Again as per our steps of service you were asked you enjoyed your meal when you requested the bill , another opportunity to give us your specific feedback. Our staff felt at a loss as to what the issue with your meal had been being told it was “only alright”. When they attempted to investigate further your response was "there was no problem ,it was just alright”. Our staff apologised to you at the time . If you had given our staff the specifics or mentioned you were unhappy with aspects of service or the food in question we would not have asked you to pay for your meal if you were dissatisfied. I am sorry that you were disappointed or felt that the food and service was not up to the high standards we try to maintain . We will take your feedback on board and endeavour to exceed expectations of all our guests.

Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Was here last night for my hen and have to say both the food and the service were outstanding!!!

We were a large group ranging in ages from 20s to 70s and everybody was speaking highly of the meal afterwards. Its varied menu takes into account gluten and nut allergies and they knew their stuff...none of this embarrassing running off to the kitchen to check. The food was gorgeous and cooked perfectly. The staff were pleasant and efficient.

The setting is very suitable as the restaurant is divided into 2 rooms - thus a big group like ours didn't disturb the smaller groups.

One other thing which impressed me was that they acknowledge the various bits and pieces that have been supplied and are available to buy in the locality e.g. the handbag hooks in the ladies. It is fantastic to get a sense of a cohesive supportive community.

All in all, this is a lovely restaurant which I would highly recommend and will undoubtedly return to. Thank you to all involved for helping to create an amazing and memorable night for us.

richys101, Manager at Richys Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Thank you so much for your review. We are delighted all the ladies had such a good time and thank you for your comments regarding our menu knowledge and our love for the community of Clonakilty and all our suppliers even the handbag hooks! Best of luck with the wedding and we look forward to welcoming you back to Clonakilty and to Richys soon.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

For the traveler in Clon with a group of people. Richy's is a good place to eat. Food is pretty good and the prices are reasonable. I would recommend them in a heartbeat. Then head down the street for other fun in the pubs.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

We ate lunch at Richys Bistro twice in April while visiting Clonakilty. I enjoyed the seafood selection platter so much the first time, I had to go back again. Although the selection slightly varied, the second time it was just as enjoyable.

The quality and quantity offered for €14.95 was great value. I had the best smoked salmon I ever tasted (not usually a huge fan). The first time I had perfectly cooked scallops which were replaced with a crab and prawn stuff crab claw the next time - amazing. All the other standards mussels, calamari rings, prawn cocktail, langoustines were perfect. I also really enjoyed the prawn samosa type cones. My wife had the Thai Curry and a Hake salad the second time both of which she enjoyed thoroughly. The bistro was very family friendly with reasonably priced kids options. It isw also one of the few places I found in Clonakilty where you can get a decent coffee. All in all - very impressed and well worth a visit.