“Ideal for families with young kids!”

Quality Hotel And Leisure Centre
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Clonakilty
Dublin, Ireland
“Ideal for families with young kids!”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We spent 4 nights in a 2 bed apartment (421) at the Quality Inn this month with our three sons, aged 8, 4 and 2 during the first week of July. I have to agree with the previous reviewer and say that this really is the most family friendly hotel I have ever stayed at. With 3 kids, I find hotel rooms just too claustrophobic, no matter how big they are. With the apartments, you still get breakfast in the hotel, along with access to all the facilities, but with the feeling of self catering. The apartment had a living room with 2 couches, digital tv with dvd player, small kitchen with dinnerware, cutlery, bottle opener, microwave, sink & fridge. It had 2 bedrooms, one with a double, and another with a single and a double. The only small issue was that the bathroom had a shower rather than a bath, and a lot of small kids don't like showers, so I had to coax mine in! The swimming pool was great, better than expected, with a steam room, sauna and jacuzzi. My kids loved the indoor and outdoor play areas, but one thing to note is that if you have a child under 4, who supposedly stay free, you are charged 4 euro every time you bring them into the indoor play area. I thought this should be included if they advertise their stay as "free", and seemed like a way to get more money out of you, even though kids over 4 get entry included as they pay for their breakfast etc. The set-up at breakfast was well organised, and the food was good, albeit a bit greasy. One tip to management, would be to include some cheese somewhere on their continental breakfast buffet. For such a plentiful choice of food, I was surprised to find no cheese at all at breakfast, and has to be the first hotel I have ever stayed at that didn't have any. The room service was great, all staff were very friendly and focus is clearly on customer care and making children feel welcome. The food at the bar unfortunately was disappointing. The kids buffet was good, in that they could go straight up and get theirs, no waiting and at (i think) 6.95 was not bad value, but the mains on the bar menu were quite pricey. The burger was 15 euro and when we squeezed it, the grease literally ran out of it. We ate in town the other 3 days, and found better value and less greasy food in The Copper Pot and Scannells. All in all, we would go back for sure. Our kids enjoyed it, it was way less stressful than staying in a hotel room and it was good value.

Room Tip: 2 bed apartments are better for families with more than two children, and you still breakfast includ...
2 Thank R T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I'll try and keep this brief....The Quality Hotel in Clonakilty is simply the best family friendly hotel I've stayed in. We have four children (3 year old twin boys and 6 month old twin boys) so you can imagine it's pretty stressful at times just getting out to the shops but the staff in the hotel made our stay a delight.

From the moment we arrived, the staff were friendly, gave us colouring books and crayons for the kids, chatted with them, offered us help etc. 99% of the other guests had children and you genuinely felt welcome. The other plus side to there being so many families was that you never felt that your kids were an annoyance to other guests or staff so you could really relax and feel comfortable.

The facilities were fantastic (outdoor playground, swimming pool and bouncy castle all went down a treat) and the indoor play area looked great too. We never had to use it as the kids were too entertained elsewhere. There was also a games room for teens with internet access, xbox's and ps3's, arcade machines, pool table and so on and there's also a multi screen cinema on site too so there's plenty to entertain the older children.

The bar was spacious and welcoming and again, children were welcome once supervised and there was live music nightly. The lobby was also large and spacious with plenty of couches to sit back and relax on while you availed of the free wi-fi, bottle fed the babies etc.

We ate in the bar one night and the food was very tasty. It was a standard bar food menu like any other in the country but was delicious and wasn't overpriced. Dinner in the restaurant was included in our package for 2 nights. The first night one of the babies was sick so we ordered our dinner and had it sent to our room. It was piping hot when it arrived and we weren't charged the usual room service charge either. The girl at reception was very understanding of our situation and once again was only too happy to help. The night we ate in the restaurant itself was also a pleasure. Service was fantastic and the food was delicious. The Hotel is very well thought out for children here too with the children's food on a buffet so you could go up and get their dinner immediately upon your arrival so that they weren't getting fussy waiting on service. Breakfast was a buffet also with the usual fare of breakfast cereals and fried foods as found in most hotels.

Other reviewers have mentioned the dated decor in the hotel and yes, on one hand I somewhat agree it looks a bit dated but it's in the aesthetics only. No furniture, carpets, curtains etc that I saw were worn or stained and the hotel in general was very clean. Our room was an executive family room with 2 single beds and a double bed and the hotel kindly supplied 2 travel cots as-well. In any other hotel this would have been claustrophobic but there was plenty of space in the room and as an added bonus, there was also a fridge in the room which was a godsend for the baby's bottles (and mine ;-) )

The location itself is perfect, 30 seconds from the town centre by car or a 20 minute leisurely walk. Just a quick note on the the town itself to say it is beautiful and has a wealth of lovely pubs and restaurants as well as a fantastic model railway village that really shouldn't be missed. There are also numerous beaches within 10km of the hotel, some of which have blue flag status and lifeguards on duty.

Overall, I can't recommend this hotel enough to anyone looking for a few nights away with the kids in tow. Travelling as a couple looking for a romantic weekend away though, it may not be your best bet. I have stayed in numerous hotels with the kids and even Trabolgan holiday camp (in a caravan) and hands down, my wife and I and the kids had the best time in the Quality Hotel Clonakilty. Looking forward to our next visit already!!!

Room Tip: The executive family rooms are quite spacious and adjacent to the reception on the ground floor. It...
3 Thank Adam P
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

A well ran hotel with superb staff right from main reception to waiting staff. Super kiddies camp with great understanding to each kids requirements. Lovely eating area with super waiting staff. Check out the movie package Sunday to Thursday. If u want a great hoildays within ireland. Check in asap.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank claire f
Dublin
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Myself, my partner & our 2yr old daughter are just back from a 4night trip in the Quality.

Rooms - Rooms were very clean & spacious. Staff cleaning were very nice. Nothing was too big a job when requested. Of course the rooms were warm but I didn't find them any warmer than any other hotel I've stayed in.

Breakfast - Breakfast every morning was well organised and you were seated asap! Lots of variety which is great not only for adults for but for the little people too

Facilities - All the facilities for the kids were great, there's something for everyone. My daughter loved the playzone area and the swimming pool. There is a kids club for 4yrs + from 11am every day until 3pm! This is great for the parents to get some peace and quiet. I'll be looking forward this age bracket :-). There is a bouncy castle every evening (weather permitting) If the weather was bad it would be face painting etc. I felt like this needed to be mixed up a little just for variety!

Treatments - My partner went for a full body massage! He said for the price €45 it was great! Nice and relaxing, so much so he came back to the room and took a nap (he doesnt do daytime nappy usually) This is something I'll have to avail of on my next trip to the Quality!

Evening Entertainment - I was pre-warned about this before I left Dublin Lol I was told this could be a little dodgey. As it turns out my daughter loved the music. The man played normal commercial/chart music for all the kids for 2hrs in the evening and then music for the adults there after. This kept the kids entrained for a good bit of the evening, all dancing and playing games. It was great to watch all the kids having fun while the adults enjoyed a drink or 2! My daughter was exhausted every night from all the dancing. Couldn't wait for the music to start in the evenings

The town is lovely and just a short walk away! There is also a playground on the way to the town on the left which came in handy to break the walk in and out of the town. Clonakilty is known for animals sporadically placed throughout the town, so that was a nice game we could play while walking around! Kept my daughter occupied.

All in all we had a great time. We will definitely returning. There was no way there were kids there that were bored, something for everyone and sure once the kids are entertained thats half the battle.

The one negative was at the end of our stay when we were departing we were handed a bill for dinners/drinks that were added to the room. These purchases were not made by ourselves. It was a mistake on the hotels behalf so I would just say double check your bill. I dont think they were trying to pull a fast one, it was obviously a mix-up with other customers & their rooms but the manager was happy enough to sort it without any fuss

5 Thank 40Spain
roscommon
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We are just back from our family holiday and it was fantastic ! Stayed with our 5 children (from 10 months to age 8) in 2 interconnecting rooms and the week was just perfect. It is so great to find a hotel where families are truly welcome and made to feel so at home. The kids absolutely loved the kids camp and the pool and had only praise for the wonderful leaders. We found the staff to be so helpful and friendly and they couldn't do enough for us. Big praise and thanks to the restaurant staff (especially Irene, Sheena, Daniel, Cillian & Jan) who were just fantastic. They always made an effort with the children and nothing was too much trouble for any of them. A big and pleasant surprise for us was the quality of the food in the restaurant - it was absolutely gorgeous and we ate in the hotel every single night of our holiday. The kids are begging to go back next year and thats the biggest compliment a hotel can get :).

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank rossigirl
Reviewed 3 July 2014

From the staff to the facilities to the cleanliness, it was all fabulous :) We stayed in the Quality in March with out 4 month old baby and were made to feel so at home that we went back again for our family holiday in June. Everything is at your fingertips...great play facilities and pool for our little girl (even though she's only 8 months, she had a ball!), we were even able to get an in-house babysitter (provided by the hotel) so that myself and my husband could have dinner and go to the cinema (which is even on site!). For a family trip you couldn't ask for more. And I couldn't praise the staff enough, very friendly and accommodating.
Would definitely recommend this especially to families and we can't wait to go back :)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Doconnor2010
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with another family in an interconnecting room. Great hotel for families- food was perfect and good value. Kids loved the cinema on the grounds and the play centre. Swimming pool was lovely and clean. We got a great deal online and would definitely return. Staff were extremely nice and very accommodating.
Overall a very good 3 star hotel for families.

• Stayed December 2013