“Brilliant!!!!”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Clonakilty
Kildare, Ireland
“Brilliant!!!!”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We have just returned from a Family break for a week at this wonderful hotel. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel so welcome by a very friendly and professional reception team. The facilities at this hotel for families are excellent, with something to suit all ages. We dined in the restaurant and Bar and the food and service were excellent. Thank you so much to all the staff, especially Irene Lyons and Cillian in the Restaurant who we had the pleasure of meeting during our stay, nothing was ever too much trouble. The bar, leisure and cleaning staff are so helpful and always friendly. The General Manager was excellent, engaging and always smiling. We have been on a number of family holidays and this is certainly the best experience we have had in terms of service, professionalism and friendliness. We are so looking forward to returning very soon and we would highly recommend a stay here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
iocallaghan, Manager at Quality Hotel And Leisure Centre, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such complimentary feedback. We have worked hard to ensure that the hotel has unique facilities to occupy all ages and we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed them. It was wonderful to hear your high praise of our staff. They take great pride in their work and are always willing to go the extra mile for customers. Thank you again for spreading the "good word" for us and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at this fantastic hotel during the week for a few days and I cannot praise it enough! I must praise all of the staff who were extremely friendly and helpful, they are a credit to the hotel. The highest praise however, must go to the bar and restaurant. I have travelled up and down the country, staying in a number of hotels, and have never experienced such professionalism. Being a foodie I thoroughly enjoyed the top quality food in the restaurant and again the service was of the highest standard. I couldn't help but admire how the staff were able to be so efficient and friendly in such a busy restaurant. From working in restaurants myself I know how stressful and pressurising a busy restaurant can be, but the staff never faltered in their professional service. Overall, from the moment I checked in, to the moment I left, I was surrounded by an amazingly high standard of service and professionalism. I will most definitely be returning!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lb_barrett
Thank you for taking the time to write such a complimentary review. It is wonderful to get such praise from someone who is familiar with the hospitality industry. During high season, as you mentioned, the hotel is full. Staff are very busy, but as you experienced, they are always careful to ensure that the customer receives a high level of service and most importantly service with a smile! Be assured a warm welcome back awaits you for your next visit.
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Just back from a stay in this hotel. 3 couples. One had a room booked €140,which I personally think is very steep as this hotel is very basic and dated,another two couples had an apartment booked €150.We were due to stay on Saturday 12th July and on that morning we received a phone call to say the apartments were overbooked but they could offer us two hotel rooms for €70 each. Perfect. We checked in and two couples went to there rooms to drop bags, the other couple just collect key to room and headed straight to another nearby hotel where we were attending a wedding. Went we returned later on in the night the went to room that we didn't go to earlier on in the day, we entered the room to find a family in there asleep. Both parties went to reception as both had been given this room and basically they said to us "we Are fully booked and we ve no rooms to offer you. If you have friends here give us there room number and we will give you a card to enter the room. Sorry about this but it's just a slip of a pen!" So disappointing and will never ever stay here again and certainly wouldn't recommend it. Appalling customer service and really bad management to allow overbooking to happen. The family in the room also had an apartment booked but got moved to hotel room.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Michelle S
iocallaghan, Manager at Quality Hotel And Leisure Centre, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Further to meeting you on departure and having phoned you earlier this week, we would once again like to apologise for this error. As discussed we fully accept that this was a mistake on our part, your room number was changed on our system, but not on your keycard wallet. It was human error and we have re-trained all of our reception team since this incident. We completely understand the inconvenience caused. We hope you will avail of the complimentary return visit to the hotel that we have offered you, we would like the opportunity to this time show you, the excellent experience that is reflected in the many other reviews of the hotel.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We spent 4 nights in a 2 bed apartment (421) at the Quality Inn this month with our three sons, aged 8, 4 and 2 during the first week of July. I have to agree with the previous reviewer and say that this really is the most family friendly hotel I have ever stayed at. With 3 kids, I find hotel rooms just too claustrophobic, no matter how big they are. With the apartments, you still get breakfast in the hotel, along with access to all the facilities, but with the feeling of self catering. The apartment had a living room with 2 couches, digital tv with dvd player, small kitchen with dinnerware, cutlery, bottle opener, microwave, sink & fridge. It had 2 bedrooms, one with a double, and another with a single and a double. The only small issue was that the bathroom had a shower rather than a bath, and a lot of small kids don't like showers, so I had to coax mine in! The swimming pool was great, better than expected, with a steam room, sauna and jacuzzi. My kids loved the indoor and outdoor play areas, but one thing to note is that if you have a child under 4, who supposedly stay free, you are charged 4 euro every time you bring them into the indoor play area. I thought this should be included if they advertise their stay as "free", and seemed like a way to get more money out of you, even though kids over 4 get entry included as they pay for their breakfast etc. The set-up at breakfast was well organised, and the food was good, albeit a bit greasy. One tip to management, would be to include some cheese somewhere on their continental breakfast buffet. For such a plentiful choice of food, I was surprised to find no cheese at all at breakfast, and has to be the first hotel I have ever stayed at that didn't have any. The room service was great, all staff were very friendly and focus is clearly on customer care and making children feel welcome. The food at the bar unfortunately was disappointing. The kids buffet was good, in that they could go straight up and get theirs, no waiting and at (i think) 6.95 was not bad value, but the mains on the bar menu were quite pricey. The burger was 15 euro and when we squeezed it, the grease literally ran out of it. We ate in town the other 3 days, and found better value and less greasy food in The Copper Pot and Scannells. All in all, we would go back for sure. Our kids enjoyed it, it was way less stressful than staying in a hotel room and it was good value.

Room Tip: 2 bed apartments are better for families with more than two children, and you still breakfast includ...
2 Thank R T
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I'll try and keep this brief....The Quality Hotel in Clonakilty is simply the best family friendly hotel I've stayed in. We have four children (3 year old twin boys and 6 month old twin boys) so you can imagine it's pretty stressful at times just getting out to the shops but the staff in the hotel made our stay a delight.

From the moment we arrived, the staff were friendly, gave us colouring books and crayons for the kids, chatted with them, offered us help etc. 99% of the other guests had children and you genuinely felt welcome. The other plus side to there being so many families was that you never felt that your kids were an annoyance to other guests or staff so you could really relax and feel comfortable.

The facilities were fantastic (outdoor playground, swimming pool and bouncy castle all went down a treat) and the indoor play area looked great too. We never had to use it as the kids were too entertained elsewhere. There was also a games room for teens with internet access, xbox's and ps3's, arcade machines, pool table and so on and there's also a multi screen cinema on site too so there's plenty to entertain the older children.

The bar was spacious and welcoming and again, children were welcome once supervised and there was live music nightly. The lobby was also large and spacious with plenty of couches to sit back and relax on while you availed of the free wi-fi, bottle fed the babies etc.

We ate in the bar one night and the food was very tasty. It was a standard bar food menu like any other in the country but was delicious and wasn't overpriced. Dinner in the restaurant was included in our package for 2 nights. The first night one of the babies was sick so we ordered our dinner and had it sent to our room. It was piping hot when it arrived and we weren't charged the usual room service charge either. The girl at reception was very understanding of our situation and once again was only too happy to help. The night we ate in the restaurant itself was also a pleasure. Service was fantastic and the food was delicious. The Hotel is very well thought out for children here too with the children's food on a buffet so you could go up and get their dinner immediately upon your arrival so that they weren't getting fussy waiting on service. Breakfast was a buffet also with the usual fare of breakfast cereals and fried foods as found in most hotels.

Other reviewers have mentioned the dated decor in the hotel and yes, on one hand I somewhat agree it looks a bit dated but it's in the aesthetics only. No furniture, carpets, curtains etc that I saw were worn or stained and the hotel in general was very clean. Our room was an executive family room with 2 single beds and a double bed and the hotel kindly supplied 2 travel cots as-well. In any other hotel this would have been claustrophobic but there was plenty of space in the room and as an added bonus, there was also a fridge in the room which was a godsend for the baby's bottles (and mine ;-) )

The location itself is perfect, 30 seconds from the town centre by car or a 20 minute leisurely walk. Just a quick note on the the town itself to say it is beautiful and has a wealth of lovely pubs and restaurants as well as a fantastic model railway village that really shouldn't be missed. There are also numerous beaches within 10km of the hotel, some of which have blue flag status and lifeguards on duty.

Overall, I can't recommend this hotel enough to anyone looking for a few nights away with the kids in tow. Travelling as a couple looking for a romantic weekend away though, it may not be your best bet. I have stayed in numerous hotels with the kids and even Trabolgan holiday camp (in a caravan) and hands down, my wife and I and the kids had the best time in the Quality Hotel Clonakilty. Looking forward to our next visit already!!!

Room Tip: The executive family rooms are quite spacious and adjacent to the reception on the ground floor. It...
3 Thank Adam P
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

A well ran hotel with superb staff right from main reception to waiting staff. Super kiddies camp with great understanding to each kids requirements. Lovely eating area with super waiting staff. Check out the movie package Sunday to Thursday. If u want a great hoildays within ireland. Check in asap.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank claire f
Dublin
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Myself, my partner & our 2yr old daughter are just back from a 4night trip in the Quality.

Rooms - Rooms were very clean & spacious. Staff cleaning were very nice. Nothing was too big a job when requested. Of course the rooms were warm but I didn't find them any warmer than any other hotel I've stayed in.

Breakfast - Breakfast every morning was well organised and you were seated asap! Lots of variety which is great not only for adults for but for the little people too

Facilities - All the facilities for the kids were great, there's something for everyone. My daughter loved the playzone area and the swimming pool. There is a kids club for 4yrs + from 11am every day until 3pm! This is great for the parents to get some peace and quiet. I'll be looking forward this age bracket :-). There is a bouncy castle every evening (weather permitting) If the weather was bad it would be face painting etc. I felt like this needed to be mixed up a little just for variety!

Treatments - My partner went for a full body massage! He said for the price €45 it was great! Nice and relaxing, so much so he came back to the room and took a nap (he doesnt do daytime nappy usually) This is something I'll have to avail of on my next trip to the Quality!

Evening Entertainment - I was pre-warned about this before I left Dublin Lol I was told this could be a little dodgey. As it turns out my daughter loved the music. The man played normal commercial/chart music for all the kids for 2hrs in the evening and then music for the adults there after. This kept the kids entrained for a good bit of the evening, all dancing and playing games. It was great to watch all the kids having fun while the adults enjoyed a drink or 2! My daughter was exhausted every night from all the dancing. Couldn't wait for the music to start in the evenings

The town is lovely and just a short walk away! There is also a playground on the way to the town on the left which came in handy to break the walk in and out of the town. Clonakilty is known for animals sporadically placed throughout the town, so that was a nice game we could play while walking around! Kept my daughter occupied.

All in all we had a great time. We will definitely returning. There was no way there were kids there that were bored, something for everyone and sure once the kids are entertained thats half the battle.

The one negative was at the end of our stay when we were departing we were handed a bill for dinners/drinks that were added to the room. These purchases were not made by ourselves. It was a mistake on the hotels behalf so I would just say double check your bill. I dont think they were trying to pull a fast one, it was obviously a mix-up with other customers & their rooms but the manager was happy enough to sort it without any fuss

5 Thank 40Spain
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clonakilty
Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa
#6 of 8 in Clonakilty
Celtic Ross Hotel
Celtic Ross Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rosscarbery

Been to Quality Hotel And Leisure Centre? Share your experiences!