“Stunning Setting - A Great Escape”

Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Clonakilty
Reviewed 7 September 2011

Just returned from a very enjoyable weeks holiday here with my wife and three children. My parents, brother, sister and her husband also joined us for a few days for a big family get-together. The setting is incredible and the focus is on outdoor living whether it's stunning early morning beach walks, surfing lessons or a relaxing afternoon at the hotels heated seawater pool and relaxation room complete with juice bar for residents.
We stayed in one of the apartments adjoining the hotel while my sister and her husband stayed in the hotel itself. We enjoyed suberb cuisine in the Gulfstream Restaurant ( a pre dinner drink and complimentary canapes a must in the hotel lounge beforehand). For family fare the Dunes Bar and Bistro is hard to top.
Hotel staff are very attentive and always on hand to assist. Check out the kids playroom in the hotel with giant Connect 4 and board games. Day trips to nearby Clonakilty and the model railway a big hit with the kids.
We really enjoyed our stay here and were made feel very welcome. We look foraward to oour return visit!

Room Tip: Nearly all rooms have stunning sea views. Each has a balcony with loungers. All rooms are very conte...
1  Thank NFitz2011
Inchydoney, Manager at Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2011

Dear NFitz2011

Thank you for your comments, we are delighted that all of your family and extended family enjoyed their stay with us. Yes, the Childrens Lounge is a big hit with kids (and mums and dads!)

We look forward to seeing you again in Inchydoney soon

regards
Des O'Dowd

Write a ReviewReviews (2,176)

Reviewed 7 September 2011

Firstly I must apologise in advance for such a lengthy review however I think that it is very important to give credit where it is due and to give a proper account of ones stay.
Myself & 2 friends booked very last Friday evening for a one night stay on the Saturday - last minute plan! I dealt with Mandy in Reservations initially and she was so helpful and informative. We arrived on Saturday a little earlier than check in time & were met by a very friendly couple of ladies on Reception, who apologised profusely that our room would not be ready for approx 20 minutes which was fine with us - we were early after all! We were seated in the beautiful lobby & given a complimentary glass of Irish Mist each - what a way to start off our stay! I asked at check-in if they wouldnt mind sending 3 champagne glasses & a bucket of ice to the room as one of my friends husband had given us a special bottle of champagne that he wanted us to share with her from him.
We went to the bar to have a bite to eat whilst waiting for our room to be ready and each of us had a sumptuous open brown bread sandwich (1 x smoked salmon & 2 x chicken) which were served by a really friendly young lady whom I think was called Emma - I am sorry if I have gotten this wrong - she was really friendly & helpful, informative in helping us chose from the menu and a great asset to the bar. Also forgot to mention, that there are several 'connect 4' games available which is a great way of occupying kids (or big adults alike!)
One of the receptionists came to the bar to let us know the room was available & our luggage had already been sent up. She gave us directions and the key also. When we got to our room, the champagne glasses & ice bucket were already there along with a lovely amenity - the only way I can describe it was a square of 'slate' with Happy Birthday written in chocolate on it along with chocolate covered strawberries and other little treats. Please remember that I only casually mentioned the birthday at check in when asking about the champagne glasses - a lovely touch from the Hotel.
The room - the room was beautifully decorated - there were 3 ladies sharing so thought perhaps the room would be very squashed for 3 x single beds but it was not - beautful balcony which was great for us smokers too! We were not long in the room when we got a call from their main dining room to enquire if we would like to make a reservation for that evening however we had already decided that we were going back to the bar for something more casual but wonderful at the same time, that they went to the bother of asking us IF we would like to make a reservation instead of perhaps we deciding later to go and perhaps being disappointed.
We later visited the pool which is lovely - salty but refreshing! We did not try the spa on this occasion but it looks absolutely beautful and certainly will not be missed on our return journey.
We returned to the room to get ready for dinner and headed down to the bar once again. My two friends dined on lamb shank and I enjoyed scallops - garlic potatoes are individually served in little tin type buckets - sounds strange but was a lovely touch. Only one of us were able for desert but we did get 3 spoons!
We moved tables after dinner as the music was about to start - a guy on a guitar who was very entertaining, and got everyone singing along....lovely atmosphere in the bar. A special mention to a young man in the bar - and unfortunately I just cannot remember his name at this very minute - the friendliest young lad we had met - each time he came over to collect some glasses he shared a funny story...asked if we wanted another drink but not in a pushy way....telling us about the match he was to play the day after....I really wish I could recall his name as he is a huge assett to the bar and we would lke to have given him a special mention.
The following morning we went to breakfast however all tables were occupied at the time and we were seated in the lovely lounge/residents bar right next door to the restaurant while we waited. There was a trolley with pastries, juices etc there so that we could have something whilst waiting. Within 5 minutes a gentleman came to the room and took us straight into breakfast. I must say that being seated somewhere with juices and pastries available whilst waiting for a table was a really lovely touch - we have been to other places where we just had to stand in a queue and wait. We were given a table by the window with beautiful views - breathtaking. Breakfast was beautful, staff were so attentive and the walnut bread to die for!
After gathering our bags and having a walk on the beach we went to Reception to sadly check out - once again the Reception team were just amazing - so friendly - offering to split the bill 3 ways for us even which we know is a pain for places! On the desk there was a beaulful basket with their regular home made brown bread - their walnut brown bread all wrapped up for sale along with a selection of their home made jams and home made ganache - all reasonable priced. I bought a very generous Walnut loaf for just €5.
We then were each handed a brown paper bag with an Inchydoney sticker on the side which was a little 'going away gift' from the Hotel of a jar of their home made jam - a regular sized jar, not just a little one! I must add that all guests departing were given a little 'going away' gift like that - such a wonderful personal touch.
I would urge anyone to go and enjoy Inchydoney - we most certainly will be back and feel that this hotel really 'has it' - very personal, lovely touches, fab location, food wonderful and their staff amazing....I honestly rate this as one of my favourite 3 hotels in Ireland.....just GO!

Room Tip: Rooms with balcony overlooking the beach - stunning
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank BALLYWILLIAM2002
Inchydoney, Owner at Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2011

Dear BALLYWILLIAM2002

What a fantastic review, thank you so much for taking the time to share your Inchydoney experience. We really enjoy receiving such wonderful feedback. I have passed on your words of praise to all of the team here, we are truly delighted.

We hope to see you back in Inchydoney very soon.

Reviewed 6 September 2011

A short stay here for my daughter & I before the schools reopened. It is a pleasure to stay here, again & again. The location and walks are supreme, even in poor weather. The staff can not do enough for guests. Every request is taken as if it's the only thing that the staff member has to deal with, to perfection. The Spa is wonderful, as it says in the brochure. The bar food is exceptionally good. The food is good all round but this time we booked the restaurant. It was like Master Chef quality, it was superb, and even the vegetarian dishes were sensational in taste. Well done all round.
Even though we had two problems, we almost forgot those: first night at the rear of the hotel, the service entrance was noisy, and kept us awake from about 5/6am on, not a good choice of room. Next morning we were moved to the front of the hotel, and perfect sleep. One problem there, which we had encountered two years ago also, the patio doors couldn't be opened or closed properly. Hopefully this will be resolved.............

Room Tip: not to the rear, near the service entrance, if you are a light sleeper

Dear anstyslocum

Thank you for sharing your comments, I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have taken note of your issue with the patio doors and have passed this to our Maintenance Engineer. Apologies for this inconvenience.

We do hope to see you again in Inchydoney soon, I will pass on your kind comments to the rest of the team here.

Reviewed 5 September 2011

We got married at Inchydoney in August 2011. I cannot praie the hotel and staff highly enough. Amy Dorgan was our wedding coordinator and she was so fantastic from the day we went to check it out until we left. She is so professional in all of her dealings but incredibly sweet and approachable. Nothing was too much trouble for her and she gave an incredibly personalised service. The rest of the staff were also amazing. We stayed for a total of three days as did many of our guests and everyone was given 5 star service. The bridal suite is fantastic. The function room where we had the meal and reception was beautiful and everyone absolutely loved the food which was first class. If you are considering getting married in West Cork-I would highly recommend Inchydoney.

Room Tip: The rooms are beautiful-great linen, shower, etc and the views are spectacular

Dear IrelandCorkgilr

Thank you for sharing your lovely comments. I am delighted that you and your guests enjoyed your Inchydoney Experience. Congratulations again on your wedding!

I will pass on your kind praise to Amy, I am sure she will be delighted. We look forward to welcoming you back for your 1st Anniversary Stay.

Reviewed 5 September 2011

We stayed at Inchydoney for four nights in a room with sea view. The location is simply superb and the views are stunning. The welcome was warm, professional and impressive. The reception area is large, stylish and makes a very good first impression. I agree with other reviewers this month that although the room was luxurious and the bed was very comfortable, the lighting was quite dark. The bathroom was small for a four star hotel but clean and functional. One thing we were not happy about was that the room was adjoining another so on one of the nights we could hear the conversation next door, along with hair dryers, tv, general chatter. I would recommend asking for a non-adjoining room if you are looking for complete relaxation. I found the staff very polite and nice but i also felt that some of them acted like they were reading from a script, it was quite staged and did not feel natural. Some of the girls in the restaurant recited this script and it made for uncomfortable listening, management should encourage staff to be as natural as possible, there really is a difference. Staff in the spa were very underwhelming, a general air of apathy present and the changing rooms were not being attended to as they should have been, wet floors, stuffy smell, shower products not working properly, shower doors not closing properly, it felt more like a leisure centre set up than a four star spa. Having said that the relaxation areas upstairs with views of the sea, were simply amazing. Hotel just needs to get the changing room area problem addressed. Spa reception staff did not offer robe or a tour of the facility or outline that there was a relaxation area. Overall a really enjoyable stay, will definitely be back but there is some room for improvement at Inchydoney

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends

Dear Carla M

Thank you for your review, I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. I take on board comments and can assure you that we will always be trying to improve and are listening to our guests comments and requirements. We plan to change some of the decor and lighting in the bedrooms this winter to make them brighter while still retaining the overall look to the rooms.

We do spend a lot of effort in training our restaurant staff, but I appreciate your point regarding making the service more natural.

At times this Summer, the spa and pool in particular were particularly busy especially when the weather was unsettled. We are addressing this to ensure it is better managed at busy times – especially during prolonged periods of poor weather!

I do hope to see you again in Inchydoney

kind regards

Reviewed 3 September 2011

We have stayed here on occasions in the past,we tend to save our visits for special occasions ( 20th wedding anniversary this time ).Its our special "go to" place where we know we won't be disappointed.We always return with high expectations ,we were not
disappointed on this occasion either.Our stay was for two nights and we enjoyed the experience so much that we did'nt venture too far from the hotel.
We found our room to be very comfortable and clean,as you would expect.The room decor and furnishings were obviously intended to create an individual look which took away that "same old,same old" feel you normally get with modern hotel rooms.Our
room also had a balcony ( all rooms have them I think ? ) which afforded us fantastic views of the beach and bay .It was hugely relaxing just hearing the roll of the waves on the beach at night,just fantastic !.Next time we visit I think we'll just book the balcony,completely hooked.
The hotel staff were,as usual,very friendly and approachable.Nothing was too
much trouble for them,we had no big requests for them it was just little things and touches that we appreciated.The choice of food on the menus in both the bar and restaurant was excellent,difficult choices had to be made.The menus were backed up completely by beautifully cooked and presented dishes,I had lamb in the Gulfstream restaurant one night and it was the nicest lamb I've had in 24 years !!! ( 1987,Bayeux,France,but who's counting ?)Compliments to the Chef .....and the lamb.
Every now and then its nice to take a step out from the real world and switch off.Our stay in Inchydoney,even though it was short allowed us to do this.It must be the
"island" mentality,it felt like we had been away longer.Can't wait for our next special occasion.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Inchydoney, Manager at Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2011

Dear John M

Thank you for your lovely review and Happy Anniversary from all of us here! So delighted you both enjoyed your stay with us, I will pass on your compliments to the rest of the team.

We hope to see you again soon in Inchydoney

Reviewed 2 September 2011

We thoroughly enjoyed our (all too short) trip to Inchydoney - the hotel is fabulous, the surroundings breathtaking and the pool / spa is second to none - coming out of a swimming pool feeling like I'd had a massage was definirely a first for me! The treatments in the spa are also fabulous!
We didn't eat in the restaurant or try the bar, but both looked lovely. The breakfast buffet was very substantial.
The only negative point I can think of is that the GPS positioning details on the hotel's website took us directly to a hotel across the water (only a 5min drive), however we advised reception when we arrived and they were going to get someone to look into it.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Inchydoney, Owner at Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2011

Dear IrishKaz

Thank you for your kind review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us here and I hope you can come for longer next time. I will look into the GPS co-ordinates immediately. Apologies that you had to take a detour to find us.

I hope to welcome you again to Inchydoney soon,

regards
Proprietor

Also consider these accommodations in or near Clonakilty
Dunmore House Hotel
#5 of 8 in Clonakilty
Celtic Ross Hotel
Celtic Ross Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rosscarbery

Been to Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!