“Two day visit”

Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Clonakilty
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I spent two days here with my partner on a special two day offer.
Staff were very friendly as usual. (I had stayed here on two other occasions.)
I was disappointed with the dinner which was included with the package. My starter of crabmeat was very dry and tasteless. My main course of duck breast was just about OK. I then had the cheeseboard which was very disappointing in that there was a limited variety of cheese. I would have been very annoyed to have to pay in excess of €50 for this dinner. Service was very slow even though the number of guests was low.
For the first breakfast the sausages had a very unpleasant taste and the bacon was dry having been on heat for some time. I had pancakes the second morning which were just ok.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sobriain
Inchydoney, Owner at Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Sobriain

Thank you for taking the time to write you review and for liaising with Linda by email on your comments. We appreciate your time and always appreciate our guests suggestions and reviews.

We hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon and as mentioned, please get in touch with Linda when you are returning.

Thank you once again.

Kindest regards,
Proprietor

Write a ReviewReviews (2,212)

Reviewed 10 March 2014

We stayed in Inchydoney hotel last weekend and it was absolutely amazing. It was so relaxing and I enjoyed a mums to be massage which was gorgeous. Everything was perfect from the staff, the room, the food, the views and the overall atmosphere. We got married here on the 27th of July 2013 and we couldn't fault it. The day was out of this world. It was even better than we could have expected and this was down to superb management and staff at the hotel. Guests at our wedding were also highly impressed with the food at the hotel which they are still talking about. Without a doubt, this is a top class hotel and I cant wait till my next stay there.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Inchydoney, Owner at Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear Anne L

Wow what a wonderful you review, thank you so much. I really appreciate your kind words. I'm delighted that you had such a fabulous wedding day here last summer and that your guests loved the food. Thank you for coming back to visit us again, it was great to see you again. Our wedding couples are very dear to us and we love to look after you all well.

Thank you once again for such a lovely review and I look forward to welcoming you again.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Just returned home having stayed 2 nights at inchydoney and I must say what a relaxing weekend it has been, beautiful location. From the moment we arrived we were made feel so welcome the reception staff were very friendly. I used the spa facilities for a hot stone massage which was lovely and the pool was also very nice. The food in the bar was delicious as were the cocktails. I must say I thought the little chocolates in the room in the evenings were delicious and such a nice touch. I would definitely recommend Inchydoney hotel to others and will most definitely return to stay again

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear sass353,

Thank you for your very kind review. I'm so glad that you enjoyed so many aspects & the little of the hotel from the food, the staff and the chocolates on your pillow. I'm delighted to see that you would recommend us to your family & friends, thank you.

Thank you once again for very kind review & I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

My wife and I went to Inchydoney hotel for her birthday. it was the 1th and 2 th of February. The weather was terrible, gale force winds, rain. This in no way spoiled the lovely two night stay I am glad to say. The view of the waves crashing on the beach was great and when it did clear for a bit ,the walk on the beach was still great and so many other people doing the same. As for the hotel,
very welcoming, food was great. ( loved the home made bread and jam ) room was very comfortable and clean. The weather was so bad we could not go in that night to the near by town of Clonnakilty for the traditional music. so we went down to the bar where they had a guy on a stool singing. Well done to that guy he was brilliant , great fun.
So over all we would love to go back and stay again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Familyman03,

Thank you so much for such a lovely review of your stay with us her at Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa. I'm delighted to hear that you were able to enjoy your wife's birthday celebrations, despite the weather and that you got a walk in on the lovely Inchydoney Beaches. The next time you come back you will have to visit Clonakilty, if the weather holds us, it's a great town.

I have passed your compliments onto Dave our resident musician. He was delighted. Thank you once again for your very kind review and we look forward to welcoming you back for your next special occasion or holiday.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We stayed in inchydoney on Sunday night. It was our first time staying there. From the minute we walked in thr door the staff couldnt do enough for us, the receptionist told us about the hotel and where everything was. She mad us very welcome as did everyone else. Our room was lovely and comfy, and view from the balcony was breath taking. Breakfast was brilliant great choice we both had the full irish and neither of us could finish it there was plenty on thr plate, you wouldnt starve. Having stayed in other 4 star hotels this was by far he best one ever. We were sad to leave the place but we'll be back again and again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Theresa O

Thank you so much for your kind review. I'm delighted that you had such a lovely time here and that you plan to return.

I'm glad to see that you enjoyed the breakfast so much - no better way to start the day before a long walk on the beach. I'm also glad you found the staff so friendly and helpful.

We look forward to welcoming you back to us again and thank you for your lovely review.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

From travelling down the little country road, we were convinced we had gone off track, but decided to keep going to see where we ended up. What a pleasant surprise it was to drive into the fabulous surroundings of Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa. It is trually a fantastic experience, exactly where you want to be to escape a busy life. All of the staff were so friendly and genuine. This hotel goes that little bit further than any other with its personal touches (I won't ruin it by pointing out what these were...you'll just have to experience it for yourself). I've just got back to work today and I haven't stopped telling people about it. I cannot recommend the place more...from the relaxation and spa experience, to the food, pub entertainment, and fabulous beach walks. Its even somewhere you would feel completely comfortable going to on your own just to get away from it all. I wish the owners and staff of the hotel all the best with continued success in the future. I will definately be returning with friends or family. The only thing I would recommend is perhaps a little more sign posts on the way. It was ok as my friend drove, but if it was me, i'd surely get lost!!

Room Tip: Not sure what to add here. Our room was fabulous...as far as i'm concerned, as long as i got a...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Siobhan G,

I would like to thank you for your lovely compliments Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa and your well wishes to myself and all the staff for the future. I appreciate your kind words.

I'm delighted that you and your friend had such a great stay with us and that you found the facilities of the Spa, the food, your bedroom all favourable.

Thank you once again & I'm glad to see that you plan to return to us again, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

We were lucky enough to stay in two 4 star hotels in County Cork last weekend and Inchydoney was definitely the under-performer.
The location as many have noted, is pleasant being situated between two small beaches and surrounded by bungalows and holiday homes on a small peninsula. There are views of coastal farmland to the left and right and the sea to the front.
The building itself is modern and impressive and as you enter there is a plaque that proudly proclaims itself as the Best hotel in Ireland in 1999/2000. Nothing much has happened since it would appear.
In the room you find numerous light fittings but the prevalence of black wood wardrobes and desks do not help to provide a well lit interior. Wardrobe space is probably adequate for most needs but a lack of drawer space did not impress. The overall dimensions of the rooms is however up to standard.
The food in the bar is excellent and as we were staying for a wedding celebration we can comment that the food there was excellent as well.
However breakfast is a shambles. Arriving to find half of the tables empty but to be told we would have to wait for ten minutes did not impress. The hot buffet at which you are served was very poor; rubbery fried eggs, watery scrambled egg, coffee that arrived after breakfast was finished and pancakes that were ordered but never arrived were some of the comments from various tables in our group.
The staff are friendly and we found service to be efficient (breakfast excepted).
The Spa and pool facilities were satisfactory but nothing particularly special by comparison to other quality hotels
Pricing was unreasonably high when compared to the similar quality hotel where we stayed in Cork City.
This is not a hotel that I would recommend to friends unless they insisted on being at the waters edge and then I would think twice.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank 8100bob
Inchydoney, Owner at Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear 8100bob

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us, we would really like to discuss some of your comments with you personally and will try and make contact with you.

I must point out an error in your review however, with regards to the awards we have received in the hotel. Yes, we were named Hotel of the Year 2000 by the AA, however since then we have received a collection of awards from various bodies. This year in fact we were named in the Top 10 hotels in Ireland by Tripadvisor as well as last year also. We have been named Ireland's Leading Spa Resort at the World Travel Awards in 2013 as well as 2004, 2005, 2007 and 2010. We have won an Irish Tatler Spa Award every year from 2009 to 2013.
So to comment that nothing much has happened in terms of awards since 2000 is simply inaccurate.

As you will see from all the other reviews and comments here, your experience is not the norm and not what we would have hoped for, for you as our guest.

I look forward to speaking to you hopefully to discuss further your feedback.

Kind regards

Proprietor

Also consider these accommodations in or near Clonakilty
Dunmore House Hotel
22 mi away
Riverside Park Hotel
Riverside Park Hotel
#2 of 4 in Macroom

Been to Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!