“Hospitality at its best”

Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Clonakilty
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Inchydoney was a last minute addition to our Ireland itinerary and if I had it to do over again we would have stayed much longer. We only stayed one night, as we were between Dingle and Cork and wanted somewhere to stay without having to drive too much that day.

We were greeted with a smile and a glass of Irish Mist by the fire while we waited on our room. The receptionist showed us to our room and before long housekeeping came by to check on us and provide chocolates and bottled water. Our dinner in the pub was amazing. My husband had the blue cheese tartlets that he says are in his top 5 best things he's ever eaten.

We couldn't have asked for a better nights sleep in such a comfortable bed. Our breakfast overlooking the ocean the next morning was good, but might could be improved on a little. It just didn't seem very fresh. But the view and the service were excellent.

As we reluctantly checked out we received a jar of jam to take with us.

This was just one of those places that knows what the hospitality industry is all about.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Inchydoney, Owner at Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear ccmckn

Thank you for your lovely comments, its great to read such a positive review. I am also sorry that you didnt get to spend longer with us... maybe next time!

I have passed your compliments on to the rest of the team here - thank you.

I hope you might return to Ireland in the future and make Inchydoney one of your stops for a longer visit.

Proprietor

Write a ReviewReviews (2,191)

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I found that Inchydoney was one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in. The staff were lovely. When we arrived we got there a little bit early so our rooms weren't ready but they offered us orange juice and alcohol. Our rooms were beautiful we had a lovely view of the beach and the sea. We went to the restaurant for dinner and it was the most fabulous food I've ever had. We had lovely appetiser and after starter we had sorbe and it was delicious. The pool is lovely and relaxing because the water is sea salt and has a waterfall. Over all we had a beautiful stay in the best hotel ever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Higher floors are much better than the bottom floor because there is less noise and you have a bette...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Cupcakequeen12

Thank you for such a great review. I have passed it to the rest of the team here and we are delighted. Your compliments to the Chef have been well received thank you!

I do hope that you will return to Inchydoney again very soon and we look forward to welcoming you.

Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed at Inchydoney with my husband. We received a wedding gift of a voucher for the hotel, upgraded to include two spa treatments as the the hotel had made an error in sending out the voucher at the time we received it. The location of the hotel is beautiful and the reception was very pleasant and welcoming. We were offered drinks on arrival and a room readied for us despite our arrival prior to check-in time. As we were there to celebrate a wedding gift, the receptionist kindly brought us a glass of prosecco while waiting in addition to our welcome drink. This was the start of great service throughout our stay. We were shown to our room, well appointed and with a beautiful view and headed to the spa for our treatments. The treatments were nice, though we've had more relaxing, less rushed spa experiences at other spas in Ireland. In fact, my husband had intended to book an additional treatment but after the first, he decided against it, finding that the price for many of the treatments was very high for the quality of the experience. We went for a swim following the treatment, in the saltwater pool. I did find the changing rooms to be a bit lacking, having come straight from my room, I did not have change (€2 coin) to operate the lockers and a spin machine for wet swimwear would be useful. The pool itself is very nice, though the grout could do with a good clean in places. There were many people trying to swim laps in what is a Thalasso therapy pool, which was off-putting, so it might be an idea for future renovation in the hotel to include a spa pool and a leisure pool to better suit the mixed needs of this hotel. We later had dinner in the Gulfstream, which was very nice. The standard of the food was good if not exceptional. The same could be said of the food in Dunes bar. Breakfast was very good though, a really great selection and great quality too. The service in every part of the hotel was fantastic, we were always greeted with a smile and attended to quickly. Overall, we had a really lovely stay, though in honesty without the gift of a voucher for part of our stay, I would have found it very expensive for the quality offered. I can't say for definite if I'd go back but I certainly enjoyed the two days I spent there.

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear CQA9813

Thank you for your comments, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and have noted some of your comments and passed them to the relevant departments. Its lovely to read that you enjoyed so many aspects of your time with us.

We do hope you will return to Inchydoney again in the future.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Absoulutely loved every minute, came here with 2 of my friends one of which was 7 months pregnant and we got the breakaway package well worth every penny its just what we wanted which was a nice relaxing atmosphere. We got a seaview room which was breathtaking rooms were gorgeous with complimentary chocolates with the turndown service which was a lovely touch. Bowls of fresh granny smith apples around the hotel which you could help yourself to this was also lovely. The food was fabulous in the gulfstream restauraunt hats off to the chef it was amazing from appetiser to the dessert really enjoyed it. The spa was nice not the best I have been to but still lovely. Staff were really helpful and friendly. Breakfast was really nice continental and also had full irish available which was lovely and my friend is a coeliac so they had all the bread available for her also. In the residents lounge which had lovely deep plush (abit old fashioned) sofas they also had a few pastries available which you could eat. All n All really enjoyed the stay couldn't fault it.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank CorkCol

Dear CorkCol

Thank you for your lovely comments, it seems like you and your friends really had a good stay with us. I will pass on your lovely review to the rest of the team here.

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and we hope to welcome you all back again in the future.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Although it was a long way to travel (from Dublin to Clonikilty) for one night we had always wanted to go.
It was well worth the trip.
Setting, hotel, room, food and staff were second to none.
Could not find fault.
Wonderful stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Rfitz22

Thank you for your great comments. I hope that you will return to Inchydoney again soon and maybe for a longer stay so that you can enjoy all the facilities we have to offer.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Very disappointed today with the poor service I received when I visited here for lunch. The waiter never returned with menus to us and did not come to take a drinks order. Having waited for quite a length of time I went to the bar to get my own drink and I got some menus . I had then to wait for someone to eventually take the order. When the food came, the order was incorrect which I pointed out but then felt obliged to take because I did not want to face another delay.
It was a beautiful day, and the patio area is very pleasant however the poor service was disappointing. I feel there were adequate staff to hand , however they seemed inexperienced and lacked direction. I feel the staff should focus on the food service. I don't think customers would object to getting their own drinks if it speeded up and improved the food service.
Laminated adult and children's menus that could be left on the tables would also simplify the whole process.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank claire o

Dear ballincolligbelle

Thank you for your review, I am disappointed that your experience wasnt as we would have hoped. I have passed the comments to the team in the Bar. The bar does get very busy at times, so apologies for the delay you experienced and also fact that your order was incorrect. I am sure if you had wanted we could have offered an alternative to you, however I understand you didnt want to wait at that point.

Again, my apologies. This isnt a normal Inchydoney experience as you will see from other reviews here and I am sorry that we didnt reach your expectations on this occassion. Thank you for sharing your comments however, as it is only through feedback that we can learn and improve.

I do hope that you will visit us again and I am sure you will have a most positive experience.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

This hotel's position, directly overlooking the Atlantic, and, more pertinently, Inchydoney's beautiful beach, with its large stretches of golden sand, just a few steps beneath, is undoubtedly its greatest asset. The hotel itself is tastefully decorated, and the staff, especially, in reception, were, for the most part friendly. The food was of a reasonable quality. One of the hotel's recreation facilities is a sea water (which should be highlighted more) swimming pool, with a jacuzzi and overhead showers inside, which I thoroughly enjoyed. It was very sunny during my stay, which boosted my overall experience. On the negative side, the prices for everything seemed a little expensive for the overall quality offered.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Eriugena

Dear Eriugena

Thank you for your feedback, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and you took some time to enjoy our lovely heated Seawater Therapy Pool and Spa facilities.

I have passed on your comments to the Front of House team and they are delighted thank you.

I was disappointed to read that you felt that the hotel was expensive, we work very hard to ensure that all our guests have a genuine quality experience in all areas of the hotel and are very conscious of offering value for money to our clients.

We do hope you will return to Inchydoney in the future and we look forward to welcoming you.

kind regards

Proprietor

Also consider these accommodations in or near Clonakilty
Dunmore House Hotel
#5 of 8 in Clonakilty
Celtic Ross Hotel
Celtic Ross Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rosscarbery

Been to Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!