“Birthday break with friends”

Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Clonakilty
London, United Kingdom
“Birthday break with friends”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Stayed last Sunday night with 8 friends to celebrate my birthday. We had a truly wonderful time and all enjoyed every moment from the glass of Irish Mist on arrival to our departure the following day. We took the one night package which included breakfast and five course dinner + use of all the spa facilities. The dinner in the Gulf Stream restaurant was amazing and all the staff we encountered were really helpful and friendly.
The weather was lovely so we also spent time on the beach and even went into the sea for a dip early on Monday morning before going to the spa. Breakfast was great too and we all loved their homemade walnut bread (and got the recipe too!).
My only criticism was the portion size of the main courses in Dunes pub & Bistro where we had lunch - they were way too big for one person and could easily have been half the size with a smaller price tag. The seafood chowder was great though.
I would definitely go back and so would all my friends - I would highly recommend it for a break like this and we hope to repeat the experience and perhaps stay for 2 nights next time.

Room Tip: Our room was on the third floor with balcony and lovely ocean views - I didn't check out the oth...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank mary d
Inchydoney, Owner at Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Dear mary d

thank you for your lovey review, I am delighted to read that you chose Inchydoney as the place to celebrate your birthday!... Its great to read such nice feedback.

We do look forward to seeing you again soon and yes hopefully for longer next time.

Proprietor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (521)
Donegal
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 5 nights in July, family of 6. Checkin was good, although we were not offered the Irish Mist on arrival as previous guests stated, I thought this may have been as we had 3 kids with us but other guests who were also waiting on rooms seem to have been offered it.
We got a beautiful room on the 1st floor with a lovely big balcony. I was very surprised that there was no seperate shower in the bathroom instead having to climb into the bath for a shower. In saying this the housekeeping staff are absolutely amazing so friendly and always a big smile & hello whenever we met them. The cleanliness in the room & public corridors was second to none.
We ate in the Bar on 3 separate occasions, food was so tasty and plenty on offer. It was chaotic on each nite we dined but I suppose that's a good sign and was down to the good weather.
Breakfast was nice but I've had better in other establishments. The buffet is located next to the entrance door so it creates a bottleneck effect which isn't great when trying to get to the buffet to sort out hungry kiddies at breakfast time! Tip - head to breakfast early enough as the Restaurant is quite small and you may have to wait on a table to be reset.
The biggest disappointment for me was the Spa, we went to the Thermal Suite before our treatment which was nice even though the pool was full of kids. We then went for our treatment in what I can only describe as the smallest pokiest treatment room I have ever been in, it literally had a bed and you wouldn't have been able to swing a cat in it. The treatment itself I didn't think was worth €99, it included a back & leg massage & a mini facial, the therapist was nice but I was expecting so much more and was really looking forward to it, but left feeling very let down.
All in all we enjoyed our stay, the location is simply amazing, the staff are wonderful, food is beautiful. We would hope to return again but I would think twice about booking a treatment.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear ShamMarie

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us, its only with feedback that we can improve and learn from experiences. I am happy to read that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay with us and that you would like to return in the future.

I was sorry to read about your disappointment in the Island Spa, I have passed on your comments to the Spa Manager and we will be reviewing the treatment you mentioned.

Again, thank you for your feedback, we appreciate your comments.

Ballybunion, Ireland
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Had a lovely 2 day stay. Lovely room with a great view. Very friendly helpful staff. Great facilities and lovely breakfasts. We didn't eat an evening meal in the main restaurant so I can't comment on that but the bar food was very good. The wifi signal was weak but that was the only negative. Will stay again.

• Stayed August 2014
Dear EloiseJasper

Thanks for your comments and feedback, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future I hope.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Excellent location, friendly staff and great food. We stayed on the second floor and the views were spectacular. Great family friendly hotel and one to which we will definitely return. Our 9 and 7 year old children were upset when we were leaving and wanted to stay longer!!!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Damian G

thanks for your great review... I was very happy to read that your family enjoyed your stay with us. Sorry the kids were upset leaving!! - we will look forward to welcoming you all back again next year...

North Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Stayed two nights as part of a wedding package and the wedding arrangements were exemplary. The setting on the peninsula could not be bettered and all the staff worked hard to ensure the couple's day was really special.
Outside the wedding scene I was not so impressed. The meals were ordinary/poor for the price charged and the service though always with a smile was unpredictable. The sea water swimming pool was super but the changing area and sauna could have been cleaner and surprisingly the hotel rooms did not have any drawers.

Room Tip: WIIfi only in reception area
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Inchydoney, Owner at Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear walterWales

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. I am glad you enjoyed the wedding with us and yes we are blessed with a wonderful location.

I was concerned to read your comments regarding dining in the hotel and I am sorry if we fell short of your expectations. We generally receive excellent feedback and comments regarding our food offering so I am disappointed to read your thoughts.

We do hope that you will return to Inchydoney and allow us the opportunity to welcome you back.

Paris, France
Reviewed 16 August 2014

we booked through Voyageurs du Monde who strongly recomended this hotel.
When we arrived at 2.30 the rooms were not ready (The check in time is 2 PM)
When we entered the rooms (101 and 103 on the ground floor) we were very disapointed. The terrace is in front of a building and a parking lot. To see the sea, you have to bend over and the worse is that the terrace was full of a smell of grease coming from the kitchen.
I asked for another room, they answered that the hotel was full. I called Voyageurs du Monde, they were unable to get a switch, despite the hefty price i paid for the trip...As the smell continued strong, I invited the manager to visit the room and after 2 hours, she agreed to switch rooms. The rest of the stay was OK, but I can't understand how they dare offering this room to clients. Do not stay on the ground floor.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Jean-Gabriel L
Dear Jean-Gabriel L

I am very concerned to read your comments and I am disappointed that you didn't like the room you were allocated. We do have a number of room types in the hotel and our Superior Rooms might suit you better if you decide to return to Inchydoney. The room you booked was a ground floor room with a terrace as you mention, however I understand that you were later allocated a room on a higher floor when one became available.

With regard to the cooking smells you mention, this cannot have been from our kitchens as they are located at the opposite end of the hotel. I can only assume that a guest from one of our apartments was possibly cooking dinner in the evening time and given the wonderful weather we have been enjoying, they left the patio doors open.

I do hope you will reconsider and make a return visit to Inchydoney

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 16 August 2014

The food and accommodation was excellent but the highlight was the salt water swimming pool. Idyllic scenic location off the beaten track.

The hotel staff provided a babysitting service which was excellent.

Room Tip: The apartment was spacious and well equipped, with a seaview. The foyer is stunning and although th...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear rudocu

Thank you for your lovely comments, I have to agree that the Seawater Pool really is something very special. Its great to see so many of our guests enjoying it as part of their stay with us.

I have passed on your kind words to the babysitting team also, they are delighted.

I do hope that we can welcome you back to Inchydoney very soon

Proprietor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clonakilty
Dunmore House Hotel
Macdonald Kinsale Hotel & Spa
Celtic Ross Hotel
Celtic Ross Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rosscarbery

Been to Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!