“What A Gift”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Clonakilty
Dublin
“What A Gift”
Reviewed 12 May 2009

my Mom & Dad gave me a gift of a week end away in Inchydoney for my birthday last November and I only we only got to use it last month. I was really looking foraward to the break. I was aprehensive because I have read mixed reviews from both this site and from friends, I have to say I was not dissapointed,
We thought we were after taking the wrong road coming onto the island thinking there is no way the hotel is here, then driving over the hill we saw the view was amazing, the beaches , wow
When checking in we were offered a sherry and our road to relaxation started there. My favourite part of the hotel has to be the balconies, waking up and opening the door to the beach. It was like being in Spain. The rooms were fab. Loved the coffee machines.
The pool was lovely, salty and fresh, not the usual chemical smell.
We were blessed by the weather and were able to eat out side The Dunes Pub on the Saturday afternoon. We got the most amazing fish and chips the only thing that was missing was the mushy peas.
Can't wait to go back, I have already hinted my next birthday present to mom and dad.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (530)
Staffordshire
Reviewed 6 May 2009

Just come back from a weekend away there and everything was absolutly fabulous - the food, rooms, service - everything, i cant wait to go back there again!!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 21 April 2009

We have just returned from a week at the apartments. We booked these through the hotel and were able to use all the hotels amenities. We have stayed many times before and we return because of its unique location. You are right on the front of two of the best beaches in West Cork. Unfortunately apart from the friendlieness of the staff that is all that is positive about the experience. The apartments are old, tired and worst of all dirty. Newspapers were not delivered. Food in the hotel is average and overpriced. Hours for children to use the swimming pool are too restrictive.
To give you an example of the complacency we experienced, I asked what activities they had organised for kids for Easter and was told that another hotel had an easter egg hunt.
Some of the staff couldn't be more charming but the management needs to sort out a lot of issues.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 16 April 2009

We have stayed at Inchydoney for many years but this was our first experience in the hotel itself (we normally stay in the adjoining apartments). I think the previous poster is being al ittle harsh, the hotel is what it is and wasn't built to be an architectural masterpiece. I think any building in that spot would have affected the skyline in the same way, the coastline and beaches of Inchydoney are absolutely fantastic and if, to appreciate them, I have to stay in the "souless" buildings", then so be it!!!

Now my review, as I have said we have stayed in the adjoining apartments for the past 7 years and have enjoyed many a wonderful stay. This time was different, we had 5 nights in a hotel room, so it got a bit "stir crazy" after a few days. However, the staff are very friendly and they all mean well and greet everyone with a smile all the time. They are badly managed I would say though, as there are plenty of floor staff in the various areas but sometimes they don't appear to have direction and focus. I agree that Dunes bar is lacking any sort of atmosphere, the decor has not changed in the 7 years we are visiting and the menu is only adequate, pricy for the fayre with absolutely no originality. However, it is always busy with people looking to eat so I reckon they don't feel the need to change anything. We found the hotel to be very clean and all requests were dealt with very well. The Spa is still great although the pool tiles are looking a bit worse for the wear now, but I am sure they know that and I wouldn't be surprised if there are plans to upgrade it, they have already done a fantastic job on the changing rooms.

The rooms themselves have been refurnished to a very high standard and the addition of a balcony in every room has improved them tremendously.

So overall we had a good stay, we will return and depending on the length of the stay, we will choose either the hotel or apartment and know that whichever we choose will be right for us for that visit.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Cork
Reviewed 4 April 2009

The staff are friendly enough and I have no complaints there. The building is the ugliest hotel I've ever stayed at, it juts out in Inchdoney Island as a souless , out of place monstrosity. The hotel has no atmosphere and the Dunnes pub is a tiny overcrowded, dirty, over priced dump.

I would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Simonofcork
uk
Reviewed 8 March 2009

we stayed for 2 nights with our young daughter.what can i say! the hotel is set on two fantastic beaches.when we checked in we were asked if we would like a welcome drink(nice).we were shown to our room by a really lovely young man who told us about things to do in the town. we had a fantastic room spotlessly clean with everything we needed including the cot.and a view of the aboved mentioned beaches.our dinner in the gulfstream restaurant was top class the food and service were great.after dinner we had a drink in the lounge it was so relaxing.we used the pool also top class.with lovely touches in the changing rooms.breakfast the next morning was just as great,the selection from the cold and hot buffet was fantastic we didnt know were to start.the service again was out of this world.the hotel is lovely but it was the staff that make it so special child friendly and helpfull and always smiling and saying hello.we will be back.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
killarney
Reviewed 24 February 2009

We were off to cork for a couple of nights last december and decided to avail of a great rate in the inchydoney hotel. We landed quite late but found a lovely smiling receptionist waiting for us and the manager on duty took our bags to our room for us. The room was fantastic and the best thing about arriving late was the wonderful surprise you got in the morning when you see the sea view, simply spectaular.

It was the time of the pork scare in Ireland and the staff (kitchen in particular) laid on food so good that we would not even notice. The meal in the bar the evening before was excellent also

But however good the hotel is the real star of the show has to be the beach. It is a true delight to work of breakfast by strolling along this beautiful strecth of seaside.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clonakilty
Dunmore House Hotel
Celtic Ross Hotel
Celtic Ross Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rosscarbery
Macdonald Kinsale Hotel & Spa

Been to Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!