“Every time I am there I am reminded why I simply adore the place”

Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Clonakilty
Cork
“Every time I am there I am reminded why I simply adore the place”
Reviewed 20 May 2010

went with my mother, aunt and sister, just for one night unfortunatley! As I relaxed in the great pool I realised why I go back again and again. Put simply, location, staff, facilites are all fab. Sometimes you wonder is it a bit on the pricey side but then you are remnded that you have your own private balcony, a nespresso machine in each room, a fantasic massaging thalasotherpy pool and the most perfect location on this earth and then you can understand why you pay what you pay. The level of service that you get is unsurpassed anywhere i've to the extent that one of my fellow guests thought it was a 5 star premises. all of the people I travelled with were there for the first time and every one of them would return, two of them are evening considering going again next week a couple of our group decided to go to clonakilty after dinner to sample the night life and in the late hours when they wanted a cab they simply called the hotel who organised a taxi immediately to pick them up and bring them promptly back to the hotel, that is service!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
Dublin
Reviewed 18 May 2010

Just back from a weekend of sheer bliss at Inchydoney Island A good friend of mine was getting married at Inchydoney Island and I decided to turn the event into a full weekend. I arrived on Friday afternoon. I have to say I was blown away by the views of the beaches as I arrived at the hotel. The duty manager- Peter was there to meet me and was extremely helpful helping me get settled in.
I then headed straight for day of pampering at the spa.The pool is the most AMAZING pool I have ever been in- heated seawater- what a fantastic concept. I had a seaweed wrap- which I loved and a facial- the therapists were so professional.
The Wedding was on Saturday and it was the best weddding I have ever been to- the staff- the food -the setting- were out of this world!
I have headed home with a plan to visit as soon as I can with my mam and sister- I know they would love it too.

Cork
Reviewed 16 May 2010

My wife and I were part of a Wedding Party who stayed in the Inchydony Island Hotel and Spa for 2 nights.

We had our daughter with us for the weekend and she was made to feel as if she was as important a guest as her parents were.

The check in was excellant and the rooms were spacious and excellantly furnished.The wedding meal was exeptional with the attention to detail by the staff just unreal.

I'm sittting at the computer trying to find the Pro's and Con's ........I'm drawing a blank.....

The best feature this great Hotel has is its STAFF they are brilliant ....from the 1st person we met at check-in to the night manager or even the maintinance man EVERY ONE OF THEM had a smile on their face, they all went out of their way to make our stay a great one. Management have to be commended here because it is evident that the staff attitude comes from the top down. There are also loads of staff everywhere so at no point are youi waiting for service....

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Tipperary
Reviewed 11 May 2010

I stayed in the hotel for my hen weekend with a group of friends. From the minute we arrived at the hotel the service was second to none. All the hotel staff were very obliging and friendly and made us feel very welcome. The bar food was delicious and we also ate in the restaurant on one night and I couldn't fault it. Treatments in the spa were a little pricey but well worth it if your looking for a treat! I would definitley recommend this hotel and hope to return again in the near future.

Athlone, Ireland
Reviewed 10 May 2010

Let me start by saying I have struggled with my decision whether to write a review or not. But a week after returning home I am still thinking about how much better it could have been so here goes.

The hotel, while it has an unrivalled location, is not up to 4 star standard in all areas. The rates are particularly high for what you get (with most weekends costing an average of €250 for a 2 night break) while by comparison 5 star Monart are offering 2 ngith breaks for €215 and is in a far higher league.

I stayed there on the May bank holiday weekend for my birthday, a treat from my boyfriend. I didn't express my disappointment as it was a gift and I wanted to make the most of it.

The Pro's:
The staff are the most helpful I have found in a hotel in Ireland
The location is beautiful with lovely walks on the beach
Bar food was plentiful and reasonably priced
Beach facing balcony
The residents lounge is lovely for a quiet drink or flick of the papers!
Nespresso machine in room

The Con's:
Bathroom is outdated with a very old shower
Furnishings in the room were well worn and handles tarnished
Corridors were shabby in places with broken architraves and badly worn carpets
Dinner, I feel, is completely overpriced at €65 a head
Tiny sauna and steam room not in the best condition

The spa was the biggest let down. The pool was like a public swimming pool with broken tiles. We arrived just as a kids session had ended and I found it difficult to get space in the changing room with mothers and toddlers all over the place!

However, I did have a lovely facial and found the therapists very nice. It's the facilities that let it down. It was not the spa experience I expected nor was it comparable to any other I have received.

Overall I think it's clear that I expected more and thought it wasn't very good value for money.

I understood the hotel to be an island spa getaway - but after visiting, granted on a bank holiday weekend, I felt it was more catered to a family getwaway with play rooms for chilldren etc.

Unofrtunatley, I don't think we'll be back!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Inchydoney, Manager at Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa, responded to this review, 11 May 2010
We are very disappointed to read that your visit to Inchydoney didnt reach your expectations. We will be investigating further with the relevant departments. It is our policy to exceed guests expectations and to offer a high level of service to all our guests.

We were very happy to hear your positive comments and thank you for taking the time to note them.

If you would like to discuss the issues with us, we would be delighted to hear from you.

Kind regards
Marketing Manager
Ireland
Reviewed 9 May 2010

Stayed in this lovely hotel with 3 girlfriends, This was my third time to visit inchidoney spa hotel, I could not fault the food or service in the Hotel, Breakfast was fabulous with a wide range of choice, Evening meal also a must if you are staying in the hotel, particular mention to the very helpful restaurant manager CJ who is a definite asset to the hotel, very knowledgable on the food and wine, Meal was very tasty and service excellent with breathtaking sea views, as it was one of my friends birthdays we all received a lovely glass of champagne.
The rooms in hotel are lovely and spacious, there was no shower in the bathroom but the shower in the bath was nice, Dunes bar is a lovely comfortable & welcoming bar with good service, again looking out onto the beach.
The only negative aspect of this break was the spa itself, the staff were friendly but the treatments we all received were not up to standard compared to other hotels. A full body hot stone massage was not a full body massage, compared to other hotels a full body hot stone massage included head to toe. The room with the sea water baths were very dark in colour and uninviting, I def recommend a revamp to the spa in the hotel and training or refresher courses for staff on body treatments. I would recommend inchidoney to family and friends but would not recommend the spa in its present form.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on Inchydoney Island Lodge and Spa. We are delighted to hear that you and your friends had a nice stay with us. I have taken note of your concerns regarding the Spa and the treatments and they will be dealt with by our team.

We hope you will return to Inchydoney again in the future and we will look forward to welcoming you.

Kind regards
Marketing Manager
Dublin
Reviewed 4 May 2010

Me and my family went to a family wedding there over the weekend, it was my cousins wedding. We arrived early enough on the friday so as to settle in for the weekend ahead, we had it all planned that we will do nothing but sit around and relax... Little did we no that there are alot more things to do in the hotel and around to relax.. it was fantastic the beachs were brillliant for the kids.. and the bigger kids!!! inside there was the pool and the spa... even a play room and a lounge close by to watch the kids well i got to put my feet up and have some afternoon tea and a yummy hot choc.. we were soon to stop all this lounging around so as to get ready for the wedding and went i had a little mishap with my dress the staff in accommodation were more then willing to help me out and get me whatever i needed!!! I MEAN ANYTHING they were great... the wedding was great the food fantastic. i am picky and the manager (peter) really helped me out and got me some nice veggy delites, this manager was really great to us throughout even on the sunday evening when the crowds showed in the bar which i am sure he is the manager of (the staff that night were the best).. All in all the hotel is really well run, the staff and managers there are unreal and really are in a class of there own which is above anywhere i have ever been in the country. It was the first time i stayed there and i have already booked my getaway in july i cant wait

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Inchydoney, Manager at Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa, responded to this review, 14 May 2010
Thank you for you taking the time to share you comments. We are delighted that you and your family enjoyed your stay and wedding at Inchydoney. I will pass on your lovely comments to the rest of the team.

We look forward to seeing you again in July.

regards
Ruth McCarthy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clonakilty
Dunmore House Hotel
Celtic Ross Hotel
Celtic Ross Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rosscarbery
Macdonald Kinsale Hotel & Spa

Been to Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!