“A lovely quaint hotel - basic but all you need for a weekend in Clon”

Imperial Hotel Clonakilty
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Clonakilty
Imperial Hotel Clonakilty
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Clonakilty
Dublin
“A lovely quaint hotel - basic but all you need for a weekend in Clon”
Reviewed 5 May 2010

I read the reviews about this hotel and thought no i'm not staying there, then i said to myself 'how bad can it be'.... well im so glad i did ... The hotel is basic ... with their prices you dont exactly expect the Ritz. The staff are wonderful, the quaint little bar etc ...

Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
London
Reviewed 9 March 2010

Well I have to say that nothing appears to have changed since the earlier reviews and photos relating to this awful hotel.
My daughter and I were making a short 6 day tour of Ireland and each evening had found a series of lovely hotels charging a special low out of season rate of between 35 and 40 euros each for a twin room (much lower rates than the 90+ euros each they were licensed to charge by the Irish Tourist Board). We had stayed at the Clonakilty Hotel (40 euros each) a couple of nights earlier and decided to return there on the Saturday evening. However, we found Saturday evenings in Clonakility to be very busy with group bookings (wedding parties and so on) and there was no hotel accommodation to be had. Having looked and looked round the town for a room we reluctantly entered the scruffy looking Imperial hotel to see if they had accommodation. They had a twin and were charging 35 euros each (the maximum allowed them by the Irish Tourist Board – no out of season reductions here). The manager asked if we wanted to view the room first, handing us the key and leaving us to get on with it alone (none of the other hotels had assumed we would want to view the room first so that should have been a warning!). We climbed a couple of floors and as we approached the room were met by a dreadful smell on the landing. On opening the door the smell was unbelieveably bad and crossing the room to the bathroom it became absolutely foul. We immediately went downstairs to the manager telling him that there was a dreadful smell on the landing and in the room. However, he was obviously aware of the smell problem as he showed a little embarrassment but no surprise and made no attempt to go and check out our complaint himself. Instead we were handed another key for a room on the first floor and found another shabby, tatty, outdated cheap looking room but no smell. We brought our cases up from the car (we were desperate!) but after just 5 minutes sitting in the room looking at the surroundings we decided that to sleep in the car would be preferable and left. Thankfully, a short drive just outside Clonakilty found us in a lovely hotel so we did find a bed for the night. The Imperial is a dreadful low standard hotel – and I cannot understand how it has any status (even the lowest) with the Irish Tourist Board - it's like the very worst kind of backpackers hotel (see the realistic room photos posted by other travellers) - definitely to be avoided.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Callie29

Travellers are raving about these Clonakilty hotels

Galway
Reviewed 28 September 2007

My friends and I arranged a w/end in Clonakilty recently and one of the guys had stayed before and knew the hotel managers. I had no previous knowledge of this hotel and read the reviews posted here. As a result I went down with some degree of trepidation.
When we arrived, it was clear that this hotel was quite old. We were received by the management (Peter & Humphrey), who welcomed us all and checked us in. My pal and I got a twin room looking out onto the main street. It was old, quant, but clean. (mind you, the step up (2 inches) into the en-suite, could be painful on the toes!! Ouch!!). The decor did need freshening up, but that is my only gripe. The hotel is classed as a 1 star, so what do you expect!! To put things in perspective, I've stayed in many 3 & 4 star hotels here and on the continent and they do not deserve their rating.
Overall, I would be happy to recommend this hotel, for its Low Cost, Hospitality, Courtesy and Cuisine, by which I mean the breakfasts we were served. BRILLIANT BOY!!

• Stayed September 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank Ciarse
Dublin,Ireland
Reviewed 28 May 2007

The Imperial Hotel, Clonakilty makes Basil Falty and Falty Towers look like the Ritz. Small rooms, narrow stairs, no toiletries in the bathroom...sorry no baths either , just showers stuck in the corner of what was once a small room.

I must have missed the great breakfast that other reiewer found as it all was over cooked, tasteless, especially the coffee, or what was passed off as coffee. The only good thing was the orange juice, a full 2pint jug on every table...and it was cold and fresh ( from a tin anyway)

Don't waste the effort of climbing the stairs , wondering when Basil will pop out from a nook or cranny.

Stayed May 2007
3 Thank MotorManDublin
ireland
Reviewed 12 September 2006

The place was very much like a hotel out of 1970's Ireland. The decor, bed clothes and carpets obviously had not been changed in many years. Hair was found on the pillow cases. I didnt even bother having a shower the following morning such was the deteriorated state of the bathroom. The only positive thing ( and this is according to my girlfriend) was that the breakfast there was delicious. There was certainly nothing Imperial about this "hotel". Avoid like the plague.

Stayed July 2004