“Not worth it”

Ranked #9 of 80 Restaurants in Kinsale
Cuisines: French, Irish, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Max's Seafood Restaurant in Kinsale was established in 1978 and serves a wide array of carefully crafted seafood dishes by resident head chef and owner Olivier Queva. Early Bird menu available, daily specials, and the best array of fine wines and local cheese. Situated in the heart of Kinsale in West Cork and simply, a great place to eat!
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

+ cozy location
+ kind waitress (not the boss)

* I am vegetarian so I asked if they had a vegetarian menu the waitress at first said yes but then the boss whispered something to her that made the waitress change her mind and say she will check so that bothered me a bit

* the food was VERY EXPENSIVE 70€ for 2 meals!!!
* The food was also not that good it tasted a bit old to me and the meat not fresh
* service quite long

Date of visit: June 2018

Reviewed 21 October 2018 via mobile

We stopped by Max’s without a reservation on a Saturday night. I don’t recommend doing this, but in our case the restaurant was able to accommodate us. Which was good news for us because the food was incredible! I had baked Brie with a green salad. Others in our party had monkfish, sea bass and venison casserole. Everyone loved their meal. I highly recommend this restaurant (and making a reservation to make sure you don’t miss out).

Reviewed 20 October 2018

On our visit to Max's Kinsale last night 19 October 2018 we were very disappointed. The Hake was undercooked and raw in places.. I can quite understand that a mistake can occur in a busy kitchen. However instead of an apology the Maitre D was rude and.challenged my knowledge of fish. It was a shocking expierence . We paid our bill and left never to return. No charge for raw fish or rudeness.

1  Thank Jo H
libellule733, Owner at Max's, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2018

There was no mistake, we cordially overcooked your fish for you, I genuinely was not rude but hard not to be perceived as when clients are forcibly and loudly making their points, we felt for sake of other diners enjoyment the conservation was curtly brought to a end, you were not charged which is fair enough, couldn't really do more...but was expecting this on social media.

Reviewed 20 October 2018

We first visited Max's 12 years ago and were wary of returning in case it wasn't as great as we remembered. We needn't have worried; it was wonderful.
We hadn't booked but were quickly seated at a window table. The waitress warned that the kitchen were very busy so there might be a delay, which didn't worry us as we were soon brought our bottle of wine, and the room was cosy and buzzy. In fact, our food didn't take long to come, but how sensible to have mentioned it .
We shared 6 excellent oysters to start, and then I had wonderful hake in a chilli, lemongrass and coriander butter.
Lovely atmosphere, excellent food.

Reviewed 19 October 2018

Max's was recommended by more that one person and it didn't disappoint. We arrived without a reservation and they were able to accommodate us right away. I had the lamb and my wife had the cod ... both were excellent and the staff were lots of fun to interact with. I'd highly recommend it.