“Beware all is not what it seems”
Review of Jim Edwards

Jim Edwards
Ranked #11 of 75 Restaurants in Kinsale
Price range: US$12 - US$37
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Gastropub
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Earlier today my wife and I visited Jim Edwards restaurant as it was recommended to us.
Inside we received a friendly welcome and were given the menu by a lovely friendly waitress.
My wife ordered the steak sandwich and after asking if the burger was homemade I asked for that but I informed the waitress that I was allergic to cheese and asked to make sure that the cheese would be omitted from my order.After a 40 minute wait our food eventually arrived and my homemade burger was covered in cheese. I informed the waitress that I couldn't eat that and she was going to "fix it" I assume that she was going to scrape off the cheese so I told her my allergy wouldn't allow me to eat that particular burger. I was asked if I wanted something else but after waiting 40 minutes for that I was not going to wait another 40 min so I declined. I then heard a voice( I presume that of the chef ) saying that I could have a steak sandwich immediately and I reluctantly agreed to take the sandwich. It arrived about 5 minutes later and the steak inside was very sparse and having tasted it I would prefer if it had been non existant as it was dry and tough with only a meer glimpse of mushroom and onion. We finished the meal and asked for the bill and low and behold I was charged the full amount for a meal that I only agreed to take because the chef couldn't be bothered to read the food order. I paid in full and went back to let the manager know of my complete disgust of the way the matter was handled.There were only another 3 tables occupied so they were not that busy.
So if you are in Kinsale the Gormet capital of Ireland , do yourself a huge favour and give Jim Edwards a miss. There are many other fine restaurants which will give you the food you ordered.

4  Thank John O
Write a ReviewReviews (1,254)

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Jim Edwards is always busy, and there's a reason. The food is absolutely fantastic! If you love seafood, you must go. Oh, and the bar isn't bad either. Not just beer, but a full specialty cocktail menu for us non-beer drinkers.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

This restaurant is absolutely awesome!
I had the salmon and it was about the best salmon I ever had (sorry mom).
large portions, lots of food and great atmosphere.

If you like seafood or really if you LOVE seafood, this is the place to go.
Note too, that it didn't seem too touristy. The town itself is touristy but there seemed to be locals there or at least Kinsale regulars.

Don't waste your time and money at pubs or overpriced restaurants in Kinsale. Take in the value, quality and atmosphere of Jim Edwards!

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Got there on a Tuesday and packed to the rafters, but friendly staff and great Guiness made for no problems.
Big portions ,we mostly had smoked haddock which came with chips or potatoes. The masala kidneys were also devine.
Deserts not that they were needed at all were great. Would certainly recommend the pears or the sticky cake.
A great night

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We shared a number of appetizers and all were delicious. The crab was particularly good. Excellent, friendly service.