“Hidden Gem of Kinsale”

Kinsale Heritage Walks
Ranked #2 of 13 Tours in Kinsale
More attraction details
Owner description: Dermot Ryan’s Kinsale Heritage Town Walks, rated as “The ideal way to see Kinsale and learn its history” by the Irish Times, uses a unique blend of old photographs and maps to show the heritage of this special town. Daily from the Tourist Office, 10.30 and 3 p.m., lasting an Irish hour, Hail, Rain or Snow ! Adults, 5 Euro, Children free, Special group rates.
Reviewed 8 March 2010

I have lived in Ireland for over 2 years and been to Kinsale many times; the town and the food are amazing. I had visitors from Canada over and decided to spend the day doing the Kinsale Heritage town walk. I can’t believe that I did not do this earlier and taken all my visitors on this walk; as it was one of the highlights of their vacation. I found a gem; Dermot Ryan; he was so informative and well educated about the area and showed me things I would have never have found on my own walks of the town; I even past by things a thousand times in Kinsale and never really knew the history behind the important landmarks that surrounded me! He pointed out such important historical points and talked about the rich history that made this quaint maritime town for what it is. His enthusiasm and stories made the tour fun for the whole family. I learned more on that one day then I did on my many trips into Kinsale. I have boasted the walking tour to all my friends and family. It was truly a lovely day and one that I and my visitors will never forget! I highly recommend this walking tour to everyone who visits Kinsale as it too will be yours to treasure.

dermotryankinsale, Owner at Kinsale Heritage Walks, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2011

Just a note to remind you of your visit to Kinsale last year and thank you fror the review of the Walk. It was great to hear that you enjoyed your time in our town.

Let me know if you would like a copy of the Kinsale Memo to remind you of our town or would like any photo of Kinsale.

All reviews
in 8 reviews
"historical knowledge"
"great insight"
in 3 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
"come alive"
in 58 reviews
"euro"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed 7 March 2010

My husband and I greatly enjoyed our walk through Kinsale with Dermot Ryan in August of 2009. He is so knowledgeable, and gave such an entertaining tour. I highly recommend it for anyone visiting Kinsale!

Reviewed 4 March 2010

Having taken an heritage walk with Dermot Ryan I found the tour comprehensive informative and interesting we walked for over an hour and every bit of it was enjoyable.and excellent value at 5 euros. I have no hesitation in recommending it to any one who visits Kinsale. Mary Hook Leeds U.K.

Reviewed 26 February 2010

I undertook a Walking Tour of Kinsale with Dermot as part of a course I am doing and he gave a group of us his undivided attention and held us captivated in the freezing cold but we did not mind as he brings alive the whole history of the town in his own unique way with stories and photos of past times.
A tour well worth going on if you are planning visiting Kinsale in the future.

See more reviews
Reviewed 18 February 2010

I have to agree with the other reviews, that Dermot Ryan's walking tour of Kinsale was the best of its kind I have had anywhere, even in constant rain. My partner and I were there last July and thoroughly enjoyed it, much better than just wandering about on our own. Our group included another American who had been living in Ireland and a young German man who had just arrived. Dermot managed to keep us all happy. My 3rd great aunts McCarty taught in Kinsale 100 years ago, and he was able to take us by the exact building where they had lived and worked, the national Infants' School. Also, although Protestants are a distinct minority in Ireland now and were associated with the ruling class when England ruled Ireland, I never felt any animosity from any of the Irish, including Dermot, about my ancestors. A great morning and well worth the small fee.