“How to become a Leonardo in just 3 hours...”

Kinsale Pottery and Arts Centre
Ranked #13 of 33 things to do in Kinsale
More attraction details
Owner description: Kinsale Pottery and Arts Centre offer short courses in a wide range of arts and crafts throughout the year. These include pottery, stained and fused glass, jewellery-making, mosaics, batik, needle felting, weaving and rag weaving,sculpting in silver and childrens arts and crafts. We specialise in one-day workshops and weekend breaks for visitors, and half-day sessions for groups of between 6 and 50 people. The Centre also has a large gallery of Adrian Wistreich's ceramics.
Cork, Ireland
102 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 574 helpful votes
“How to become a Leonardo in just 3 hours...”
Reviewed 13 April 2012

After a three hour session at kinsale Pottery and arts centre, I (an artistic neanderthal) produced
1. a clay plaque for my grandsons bedroom door
2. a quirky soup bowl or perhaps it will be a large cappucino vessel, failing that, wine will be supped from it's bowels (when all the wine glasses are in the dishwasher of course)
3. A present for my 'to be wed' daughter who just happens to be a Rhinocerous fanatic.

Adrian Wistreich makes it all seem so easy (and secretly we know that it definitely isn't). Adrian times the session very well, ensuring that you get to complete each piece (or project as he prefers) with just enough time to spare.

Location of the studio just a mile or so from Kinsale is really beautiful, with loads of space in the pottery to potter or whatever ....

A really enjoyable session, good for the body and good for the mind. Just wear old clothes and don't bring your best camera, in fact don't bring anything that you value, well lets face it, clay, murky water and paints are the focus of this activity - nuff said.

Adrian begins by explaining the whole pottery process and this is very interesting for anyone who has not been privy to the technology previously.

If time allows, Adrian will include a tour of the adjacent gallery. Sadly as our class were a bit on the 'slow side' we didn't have time for this but just another excuse to visit lovely Ballilnacurra again.

The cost €30 was excellent value for three hours and included all materials, + as much tea and coffee as you could drink.

I thoroughly recommend it for your body, your mind and your artistic cravings.

They also provide longer courses for anyone who wants to elongate their creative passion.

Visited April 2012
3 Thank Bryno

ireland
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Very enjoyable day in Kinsale Pottery & 3 projects to take home”
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Really enjoyed the day. Got to try different techniques including making a bowl on the pottery wheel, some sculpture and a wall plaque. I hadn't tried it before and it was great to give it a go. I would definitely recommend it.

Visited February 2012
2 Thank gerrimac
Walton on the Hill, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“A fantastic pottery lesson in a fabulous location!”
Reviewed 12 February 2012

My husband and I attended a beginners lesson in pottery at the Kinsale Pottery in December 2011. The teacher (Adrian Wistreich) was fantastic. He was very helpful and patient and provided us with a very enjoyable experience. This was our first attempt at pottery and the pace of the lesson was pitched perfectly. We were given the opportunity to make three seperate pieces, including using the wheel and our pieces were ready for collection a week later! The facilities were great and the location was beautiful, leaving us with a great memory of our first pottery experience. We will definitely return when we're next in Kinsale!

Visited December 2011
Dublin, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Inspiring creative Fun!”
Reviewed 5 January 2012

For my birthday, decided to do something different this year...and drag a few girl friends along.....I study art part time so felt that something creative was just the thing....and got those with non creative bones in their bodies out doing something very different!..The day was a great success - especially loved working with the pottery wheel - many laughs ensued followed by a chorus of '' oh my love, my darling....'' (remember that famous 'Ghost' film scene......)..Funnily enough the girls who never really did anything creative before produced some amazing works of sculpture...and would go back for more creative fun!..I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for an inspiring taster day, and you even get to take your creations away with you which is a lovely reminder of the fun times had....

Visited November 2011
1 Thank orlaor
Dublin, Ireland
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Beautiful craftmanship”
Reviewed 11 December 2011

Myself and my wife visited the gallery at Kinsale Pottery and Arts School recently. It was obvious that Adrian, the resident potter, has a real passion for his craft and this is reflected in the quality and range of pieces on show. We were particularly impressed with some of the small intricate pieces which displayed a high degree of skill and craftmanship. The were also larger pieces which would be perfect as centerpieces in the home or as presents.

Visited December 2011