“Perryville”
Review of Perryville House

Perryville House
Ranked #6 of 52 Kinsale B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 September 2012

My husband and I and 3 other couples ust spent 2 Nites @ Perryville . We were in Kinsale for the golfing at Old Head.
The Perryville house certainly has its positives .. Like the wonderful breakfast and the overall ambience of the inn.
But the negatives out way the positives ! Everyone in our group complained about the noise of the traffic ! It is on the main street coming into town and it worse than in a big city!
The rooms have circa 70 TV's .. Honestly ,it is a joke ! They told us they were replacing them but our tour guide /driver said they have been telling that to guests for years!
The rooms have No charm ... Just the basics!
Also we felt the male owner made a dinner reservation for us based on his friendship with the
Restaurant not on what we wanted. We had asked him for a specific restaurant and he said he
Couldn't get any answer so he thought they must be closed he made another reservation
For us ... Hmmm , the place was not up to our standards and we walked out.
I felt he set us up! Small town !
Hope this helps others

Room Tip: Request to not be on the main road ! So Noisy!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cindy N

Reviewed 24 August 2012

I spent two nights in Kinsale so I had a lot of time to walk around town (a few times) & this was the only hotel within town that was up to my standards. I had an amazing stay in the Four Seasons in Dublin before heading to Kinsale so that was a tough act to follow & the Perryville House managed to impress me.

The location cannot be beaten when trying to find a quality hotel within walking distance to almost everything. I'd prefer to walk home after a few drinks rather than risk drinking & driving to get to a place a couple miles away.

The owners were extremely helpful, friendly and professional. They went above & beyond where chain hotels do not. If that is considered to be too much "in your face" or whatever these days then maybe a giant hotel on an expressway somewhere would suit your needs.

When I was checking out, one of the owners heard that I was catching the bus to Cork airport in a few minutes and she raced me thru traffic in her own car to get me to the bus stop. She actually parked her S.U.V. on the wrong side of the road facing the bus so it couldn't pull out and I could get my bags out of her car in time to get on!? Where else would that happen???

The staff in the breakfast room was very kind & attentive. The young Polish man who checked me into my room was very, very helpful. He insisted on carrying both my suitcase and my rolling carry-on upstairs and that rarely happens in small hotels.

My room was very spacious and clean. I had a nice view of a water fountain & garden below me and could kind of see the harbor from my window. The bathroom was also tidy & the shower was very good. The sitting rooms were beautifully decorated, comfortable and exuded old world charm.

I thought the breakfast food was delicious and probably the best I had during my 16 days in Ireland. (I did sleep thru most breakfasts though so I will admit that.)

The scones in their tea room were definitely some of the best I had in Ireland and I ate them as much as possible on my travels.

There's truly no other place in Kinsale as good as this within walking distance to all of the best restaurants, pubs, galleries & shops. As far as I could see, this is as close to 5-star quality as it gets within the town.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 August 2012

The room was the largest and nicest we stayed in during our trip - we stayed in 6 different hotels. It was also the most expensive one. It was the kind of room - you could move into, had it not been for the spirts. Both my husband and myself felt the strong presence of spirts in our room.

On two occasions I asked for something small, and they insisted (in a lovely way) of bringing a tray to my room. I felt very catered to.

I recommend Perryville, if you have a little extra to spend and what a treat.

PS - they need to stop burning that peat in the lobby - it smokes up the hotel. Other than that the lobby was grand!

Reviewed 20 August 2012

The hotel is undoubtedly beautifully decorated, an assortment of paintings adorn the walls . We had a deluxe double room with a four poster bed and a view of the bay which was magnificent. Breakfast was very good. Parking is limited but the hotel manages to “organise” something – just leave your keys and they will sort it out. Perfectly situated – close to the main strip of shops and restaurants.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank AwA123
Reviewed 14 August 2012

We recently stayed in this guest house. Very disappointing. Room very very basic and in need of updating. There were two glasses in the room, no bottle of water, no tea or coffee facilities, nothing. For the price it is not luxurious. There was a very small and old TV in the room which only had a hand full of channels. Twin beds were practically on top of each other. Shower was awful. Owner a bit too much in your face, this we found too much at times. The only good thing was the breakfast, which was lovely and was served by lovely staff. Parking difficult to get at times. Would stay in hotel next time for the same price and more luxury.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Dublinah
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Just outside the hotel the manager wished us welcome and helped us parking the car. He carried our suitcases inside and when we entered the hotel we were just gasping for air. What a welcoming atmosphere. This old building is totally refurbished but has kept its ordinary style.
The manager is such a friendly man and he showed us to our room carrying our suitcases. Such a clean room in the same old style, and with a large bed and a lovely bathroom we were astonished.
In spite of situated in the middle of Kinsale it was so quiet there. The breakfast was the best ever eaten in a hotel. Home cooked and with food from local farmers. The staff was so friendly and quick.
We were supposed to stay for one night - but came back for one more night. And what a room we got this time with a view over the harbor and the town. Even better - and the same excellent standard. As the sitting room down stairs invites to relax and enjoy the style - we sat down in large soft sofas. The manager came to chat and that was so lovely - he is really service him self. He helped us find a good restaurant and it really was the best.
We loved staying in this hotel so much that it is impossible to not go back. Really charming, clean, welcoming and a hotel with personality.

Room Tip: Room with a view over the sea is a good choice.
Reviewed 9 August 2012

We spent 4 days at Perryville House and wished we stayed there last as nothing else in the 2 weeks in Ireland was as wonderful. Kinsale is great with plenty of choice for restaurants and pubs and nearby drives. Andrew is an interesting man to talk with and very helpful with nothing too much trouble. Perryville is a credit to Laura's skill at Interior Design. Fantastic stay and would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Room 27 has views straight down the harbour.