“What a "grand" introduction to Ireland!”
Review of Perryville House

Perryville House
Ranked #6 of 53 Kinsale B&B and Inns
Tarrytown, New York
“What a "grand" introduction to Ireland!”
Reviewed 2 October 2012

Spent our first two nights in Kinsale and after being exhausted from the flight and Ireland driving, Andrew at the Perryville House did all he could to bring us back to life. Charming, lovely setting. Rooms were spacious, breakfast amazing the best coffee of the trip.

Irish hospitality at its finest!

Room Tip: Go to Crockpots for dinner...amazing and the White House Pub for some fun!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 26 September 2012

Wasn't told when booking this hotel (through the owner) that I and my 71 year old mother would be stuck in a room up 3 flights of stairs (no lift). The room itself was gloomy and dreary with no tea/coffee making facilities. The archaic tiny portable tv that didn't even work added to the down market feel of the room. Be sure to remember your slippers if you're ever staying in this place as the ugly hard as hell rope carpet is torture on bare feet!

Although I had originally given my cc details on booking the room I found it strange that the owner didnt require my cc when paying on leaving. Instead he instantly produced a receipt. When I checked the receipt later I realised he had in fact debited my card for the full amount the day before my arrival!! A tricky character indeed - steer clear.

Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank Mary M
ALBERTA
Reviewed 25 September 2012

We stayed 3 nights here. It was lovely. Rooms are a good size, giving you room enough to stretch out. They are very clean!! Location cannot be beat for finding great restaurants and pubs. Most charming lobby and common areas compared to any guesthouses or hotels in Kinsale, that we could see.Kinsale is an amazing place to enjoy great food, and this is a wonderfully cozy place to get a restful sleep. Breakfast was included and very good. The lady who took care of us in the breakfast dining area, was welcoming and did a great job every morning we were there. Good Hot showers every morning as well. P.S. we stayed the day previous in a castle and the common areas in this guesthouse compare to that luxurious feeling. : )

State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Andrew is my new best friend! He welcomed my daughter and me with a huge smile, parked the car for me in a very small space and took us up to a beautiful room overlooking the harbor. He asked what we would like to have for dinner and made several recommendations, and showed us the menus.
We had tea, sandwiches and salad in the tearoom. Food was excellent!
Took the ghost tour in the evening. The weather was drizzly which made the slightly corny tour very atmospheric.
Breakfast in the gorgeous dinning room was wonderful and beautifully served.
Yes, the inn is on the main road, but the noise didn't bother us at all. The welcome and top notch service really enhanced our trip to Ireland.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Posie4441
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed 17 September 2012

We loved this; one of our favorites during a 2+ week trip to Ireland. Beautiful house, spacious, clean, comfortable view of the harbor, nice breakfast, and Andrew, the host and proprietor, is a man of memorable personality! He added much to the experience of staying there. Was just disappointed we couldn't stay for a second night because they were fully booked.

Room Tip: We really liked having a room overlooking the harbor.
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 15 September 2012

My husband and I and 3 other couples ust spent 2 Nites @ Perryville . We were in Kinsale for the golfing at Old Head.
The Perryville house certainly has its positives .. Like the wonderful breakfast and the overall ambience of the inn.
But the negatives out way the positives ! Everyone in our group complained about the noise of the traffic ! It is on the main street coming into town and it worse than in a big city!
The rooms have circa 70 TV's .. Honestly ,it is a joke ! They told us they were replacing them but our tour guide /driver said they have been telling that to guests for years!
The rooms have No charm ... Just the basics!
Also we felt the male owner made a dinner reservation for us based on his friendship with the
Restaurant not on what we wanted. We had asked him for a specific restaurant and he said he
Couldn't get any answer so he thought they must be closed he made another reservation
For us ... Hmmm , the place was not up to our standards and we walked out.
I felt he set us up! Small town !
Hope this helps others

Room Tip: Request to not be on the main road ! So Noisy!
2 Thank Cindy N
Kyoto, Japan
Reviewed 24 August 2012

I spent two nights in Kinsale so I had a lot of time to walk around town (a few times) & this was the only hotel within town that was up to my standards. I had an amazing stay in the Four Seasons in Dublin before heading to Kinsale so that was a tough act to follow & the Perryville House managed to impress me.

The location cannot be beaten when trying to find a quality hotel within walking distance to almost everything. I'd prefer to walk home after a few drinks rather than risk drinking & driving to get to a place a couple miles away.

The owners were extremely helpful, friendly and professional. They went above & beyond where chain hotels do not. If that is considered to be too much "in your face" or whatever these days then maybe a giant hotel on an expressway somewhere would suit your needs.

When I was checking out, one of the owners heard that I was catching the bus to Cork airport in a few minutes and she raced me thru traffic in her own car to get me to the bus stop. She actually parked her S.U.V. on the wrong side of the road facing the bus so it couldn't pull out and I could get my bags out of her car in time to get on!? Where else would that happen???

The staff in the breakfast room was very kind & attentive. The young Polish man who checked me into my room was very, very helpful. He insisted on carrying both my suitcase and my rolling carry-on upstairs and that rarely happens in small hotels.

My room was very spacious and clean. I had a nice view of a water fountain & garden below me and could kind of see the harbor from my window. The bathroom was also tidy & the shower was very good. The sitting rooms were beautifully decorated, comfortable and exuded old world charm.

I thought the breakfast food was delicious and probably the best I had during my 16 days in Ireland. (I did sleep thru most breakfasts though so I will admit that.)

The scones in their tea room were definitely some of the best I had in Ireland and I ate them as much as possible on my travels.

There's truly no other place in Kinsale as good as this within walking distance to all of the best restaurants, pubs, galleries & shops. As far as I could see, this is as close to 5-star quality as it gets within the town.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kinsale
Macdonald Kinsale Hotel & Spa
Hayfield Manor Hotel
Long Quay House
Long Quay House
#13 of 53 in Kinsale

Been to Perryville House? Share your experiences!