“dissapointing”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Kinsale
Apopka, Florida
“dissapointing”
Reviewed 30 November 2011

We checked in and went to our room to lay down after a long day of traveling and the bed was like a prison bed! I We went down and ask for another room and they did change it, However it is a run down facility and the rooms are very small, do not be deceived by the pictures they show you the place is not all that!! The food is below average and the staff is friendly but overworked and it reflects in their attitudes not the normal Irish friendly. We loved the town They told us not to go into Ned Kelly's " its A rough place" LOL we had the best time in their despite the warning we went anyway. They played REAL Irish folk songs and it was fun. I guess owner wants everyone to go to their facility's. As I said their are much better restaurants their. Max's was great. Fishy Fishy cafe and we had dinner in a pub one Night down the street and I cant remember the name but it was awesome also. One night the Hotel had a black tie event and we basically were thrown out of the hotel and had to go out no matter what but that was ok because like I said we would not eat their after the first meal But we could not come back and go to the lounge or use any of the facility's we could only go to our room. Their are many hotels and B and B in Kinsale do your self a favor and stay some were else. Did I also mention the parking!! It sucks and they do not help you with you bags outside, you have to park about a 1/4 mile away. That's it! Make you decision wisely, I read similar reviews on the uncomfortable rooms and so on they don't care as long as you people ignore these reviews and others accept the crappy food and service it wont change.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
DeclanJDelaney, General Manager at Blue Haven Hotel, responded to this review, 15 January 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay in the Blue Haven Hotel. I was disappointed to read some of your comments and I would like to apologise for the negative experiences you encountered. We have earned a reputation in recent years for providing great food and for having friendly and efficient staff. I am sorry that you found the food to be below average as we work hard to maintain the high standards that we have set. I do not agree with your comment that we are a run down facility. We have continually upgraded different parts of the hotel in recent years including our bedrooms, café, restaurant and bar. Just over a year ago we completed the restoration of the Old Kinsale Fish Market wall adjoining the hotel which now forms the entrance to the Blue Haven Bar.
The hotel is a member of the Blue Haven Collection and we are very proud of all our establishments. We do recommend to our residents to try out each of these venues during their stay. However Kinsale is full of other great restaurants, bars and shops and we are happy to recommend any of these places.
We always have a porter on duty to assist our guests with their luggage so I can only apologise that nobody assisted you with your bags. It is hotel policy that all our guests are offered assistance with their luggage when they check in.
We did have a black tie event in the hotel at the time of your stay. I am sorry that you felt that you were not made feel welcome in the hotel that night. All our hotel guests were allowed to frequent the public areas of the hotel that night so I can only apologise for the misunderstanding.
I am glad that you did have some positive experiences during your time in Kinsale and I hope that you will visit the town again in the near future. I would like to assure you that we have taken all your comments on board and that we will treat them very seriously.
If you would like to contact me directly to discuss any of the issues that you raised I’d be delighted to talk to you at any time.

Thank you again for your feedback.

The Blue Haven Collection

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Cork
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Stayed for one night with my husband. The receptionist had told me it was a small room when I booked the night before arrival. Now this wouldnt bother me once the room is clean. But we were very pleasantly surprised! Lovel room, well equipped, spottlessly clean and really comfortable. You need never leave the hotel as you have restaurant, bistro and a lovely comfortable bar that served food and nightly entertainment in the bar. Food looked lovely in the bar and quite reasonable. We ate in the restaurant and it was excellent. We were given a great rate when I booked, €55 per person bed and breakfast and this included €30 per person towards dinner! Staff were lovely and breakfast great. Would definetly recommend this hotel. Just to note though that the hotel doesnt have an elevator (didnt cause a problem for us). Hope to be back soon!

Ennis, Co. Clare
Reviewed 20 November 2011

just back from a very enjoyable two night stay in the Blue Haven. The staff were very friendly and extremely accommodating. The room was cosy with a very comfortable bed and modern ensuite. Breakfast was fantastic.....eggs benedict highly recommended!

We'll be back.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 8 November 2011

My husband and I spent one night at the Blue Haven on October 23. We were booked by our travel coordinator so I can't say what the cost was. The room was small, but cozy. We did splurge for 4 nights in Ashford and Drumoland Castles, so we knew we had to budget the other 3 nights, and this room was comparable to the other accommodations we had on our "budget nights". The bathtub was very deep and the water very hot...lovely! The day/night we were there it was bone-chillingly cold and storming rain. We decided to eat in that night for dinner rather than get out in the storm. It couldn't have been a better choice. The restaurant proper wasn't open, but we were told that the bar (which was very large and had lovely lovely romantic ambiance) would be serving the restaurant menu. We were absolutely thrilled with everything. The bar was warm and cozy and we couldn't have had a better table (right by a roaring fire). Just perfect for our evening. A very very reasonably priced bottle of Prosecco was greatly enjoyed by my husband and myself. The manager (I suppose) stopped by our table to see if we needed anything (always a nice touch). Our meal was delicious! My husband had the lamb and I had 2 appetizers of Pate' and a goat cheese torte. Our waitress was absolutely wonderful. I am embarrassed that I do not remember her name, but she was from Poland (I say that only in that it might identify her for recognition). She couldn't have been kinder and more attentive, but not in a pesky way..Well, I guess I've gone on enough. And might I say that after reading some of the other reviews I am VERY impressed by the way the manager responds personally to everything and is most gracious and receptive to even negative comments. The only thing I would ask for is would there be any way I could have the recipes to the pate' and the goat cheese appetizer emailed to me. Hugs and keep up the good work!

1 Thank magnoliagirl3515
DeclanJDelaney, General Manager at Blue Haven Hotel, responded to this review, 20 November 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I was delighted to read that your experience was positive and that you enjoyed your stay in the Blue Haven. We work hard to maintain the high standards we have set ourselves so it is always nice to hear good feedback. The waitress on duty that night was Agata so you can be assured that I was will pass on your comments. The Blue Haven is very fortunate to have a lot of staff who have been working here for a good number of years who are very hard working and customer focused. Most of our reviews mention the friendliness and professionalism of our staff so I am delighted that you experienced this first hand.
I would also be delighted to email you the recipes for the pate and goats cheese appetizer's. Please forward your email address to info@bluehavenkinsale.com and I will send that onto you.

Many thanks again for your review.

Center Line, Michigan
Reviewed 3 November 2011

I was looking forward to what I thought would be a nice 'boutique style hotel', but found a tired hotel instead. Our room (No. 1) was quite antiquated. This wouldn't even have been so bad, but the night we stayed at the hotel, we were kept awake by the loud music downstairs at the bar that echoed through the walls. We failed to have a restful night after a long day of touring. If you are into staying up late and listening to live bands (who were quite good actually), then you may enjoy room No. 1 - otherwise get a room further away from the bar.
Breakfast here was very good, but otherwise I would not stay here again. It was not worth the price we paid.

2 Thank Tahitifred
DeclanJDelaney, General Manager at Blue Haven Hotel, responded to this review, 6 November 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your feedback and for staying at the Blue Haven Hotel. I was sorry to read that you did not have a restful night due to the music in the bar. We do have live music seven nights a week but it does finish at 11.30pm weeknights and at 12.30 am at the weekends. One of the advantages of staying in the Blue Haven is that we are situated in the heart of Kinsale surrounded by many great restaurants and bars. However I can certainly understand your frustration at not been able to get an early night due to a long day travelling. I would recommend that the next time you visit Kinsale to stay in our sister property, The Old Bank House which is situated on Pearse street but a little further away from the live music bars in town.
I am glad that you found the bands to be excellent - We are very lucky to have some of the finest local musicians playing with us regularly.
I would also like to assure you that our rooms are well maintained and over the winter period we have a refurbishment plan in place to redecorate many of our bedrooms.
I was also disappointed to read that you felt that it was not worth the price you paid. We do feel that we offer excellent value for money without compromising on our great service and hospitality. I am delighted to mention that recently The Blue Haven Hotel was voted "Best value for money Hotel" in Ireland 2011 at the recent National Hospitality Awards held at the Four Seasons Hotel.
If you would like to discuss the issues you raised I would be delighted to talk to you at any time. Also if you would consider returning to Kinsale in the near furure I would be delighted if you could contact me directly so that I can offer you the best possible deal and to ensure that you would be well looked after.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Kind Regards

cork
Reviewed 1 November 2011

As we where down for the jazz we decided to stay in this hotel , first of all parking was very hard to get but we were lucky and got a spot, we booked in at reception which she was lovely and very helpful, we got our room key and went up to room 21 first instinct was small and basic, but clean . We went and meet our friends who also was staying in the hotel had a lovely meal and enjoyed our night , we came back to our room which was very warm , we opened the windows and went to bed the room was like been in a wardrobe , between the heat the noise outside it was terrible , and then to top it off when the kitchen opened the fans zoomed through the room so we got up my husband went for a walk and i decided to watch the tv which didnt work properably , so then i said i would go for a shower which had no hot water fawilty towers came to mind between the decor and the size of the room which is not protrayed in your video clip , on your web site , when we checked out i relayed to reception what i felt and asked her what she felt about this room and she said there is smaller in the hotel and i felt like saying it must be coffin sized , anyway we got a reduction on our bill but as i said to the girl it was our first time staying and was deeply disappointed , our bill was not the issue at any stage as we were away to enjoy ourselves, this hotel badly needs a face lift and small rooms like the one we had i think should be for storage ...................

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank nina b
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay in the Blue Haven Hotel. I would like to sincerely apologise for the issues you encountered during your stay. The problem with the TV as since been resolved and we temporarily had an issue with our hot water pressure. I can certainly understand your frustration at not been able to take a shower but I can assure you that this is not the norm. Our rooms are checked by the manager on duty each day to pick up on these issues, however on this occasion we didnt pick up on these faults which is totally unacceptable . The noise that you heard outside was from the kitchen fans- we do however ensure that these fans are turned off as early as possible to ensure all our guests get a restful night.
Room 21 is one of our smaller standard rooms. We do inform people at the booking stage that this is a small double room, however all our rooms are nicely decorated and are all en-suite. I am glad you mentioned that you found the room to be clean as we do insist on the highest possible standards of cleanliness. I hope you do decide to return to the Blue Haven soon and if you do I would be grateful if you would contact me directly so that I can ensure you get to stay in our larger king rooms located at the front of the building.
Thank you for your positive feedback on the lovely and helpful receptionist that checked you in and the lovely meal you had in our restaurant. I will certainly pass this feedback onto all our staff.
Thank you again for your feedback and please dont hesitate in contacting me should you wish to return or to discuss the issues you raised further.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 24 October 2011

The Blue Haven was centrally located and walking distance to some sites and restaurants. Breakfast was very good. The café bar behind it ‘Hamlets’, which is part of the Blue Haven collection, had very good food and was very busy at night. Our room was a good size but because of the dark furnishings and the number of pieces in the room made it feel a bit crowded. The bathroom seemed like it was remodeled recently and it was very modern in style compared the room décor.
There is no AC in the room and they had a small fan mounted on the wall, which helped. The nights were cool enough that opening the windows and turning the fan on was enough. But in the afternoons, the room got really hot and the fan did not help much.
The hotel doesn’t have an elevator, so be aware if you can’t go up and down the stairs. The staff was very friendly.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CASol
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kinsale
Actons Hotel Kinsale
The River Lee
#2 of 23 in Cork
Perryville House
#6 of 53 in Kinsale

Been to Blue Haven Hotel? Share your experiences!