“Will stay again.”
Review of Blue Haven Hotel

Blue Haven Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Kinsale
Reviewed 30 December 2011

Stayed here for one night. Best thing was the barfood and the hotel has good charm & character. The room was very nice, bed very comfortable. Only thing negative I could say was the ceiling in the bedroom needed a coat of paint but overall good hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011
DeclanJDelaney, General Manager at Blue Haven Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and for staying at the Blue Haven Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I would like to assure you that all our rooms are painted over the winter period so your comment on the ceiling in the bedroom will be addressed immediately.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Blue Haven in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Blue Haven Hotel

Reviewed 16 December 2011

If you appreciate quirkyness then this is ideal but rooms which smell of sewage and have slopping floors to the extent you climb up hill to get into bed are not ideal. Everything fell off the bedside table due to the slope. The bedside light did not work so when I went to investigate the plug I discovered the socket was hanging out of the wall.
It takes ages to get hot water too.
The food though is magnificant. Breakfast choices are all delightful with fresh fruit, an Irish fry cooked freshly for you, pancakes, a selection of breads etc.

The staff are so accommodating you can almost forget the down side.

Room Tip: Dont be afraid to ask to change rooms as they will accommodate this
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Aine209963
DeclanJDelaney, General Manager at Blue Haven Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your review on our Hotel. I’m delighted that you described the food as magnificent and that you especially enjoyed the breakfast choices that were available to you. The pancakes are a favourite for most of our guests!

I would like to apologise for some of the issues you experienced in your room such as the bedside lamp not working and for the problems you had with the hot water. These issues should not have arisen as all our rooms are checked daily by the manager on duty. Regarding your comments on the smell of sewage this has never been an issue with us before. I have investigated this matter personally and I can assure you that there is no such problem at present. The floors in all our rooms are level so I was surprised by your comment that items fell off your locker due to the slope in the room. Again this has never been a problem with us in the past and all rooms have been inspected for this issue. However if you wish to discuss this issue in more detail I would be delighted if you could contact me directly at the hotel.

I was very happy to read that you found our staff to be very accommodating. All your comments have been passed onto our team.

I hope that you will return and stay with us again in the near future. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 5 December 2011

We booked into the blue haven's midweek 2 nights b&b with a dinner included. At €180 for two people it was absolutely super value!! Had such a lovely room and delicious meal in the restuarant. The hotel is brimming over with character as is the town. There is a beautiful bar area to sit by a fire read a book and have a delicious lunch (try the chowder delicious!!) We ate in the restuarant one night as per the package and we were blown away by the quality of the food. Being in Kinsale we stuck to fish and had a most delicious dish of sea bass while my partner had monkfish. Find reviews claiming the food not up to standard quite suprising as we eat out regularily and were blown away by the flavour quality and presentation of the food. The only negative to the trip was we had a room facing the street and because it was quite hot we kept the windows open and the street comes to life quite early in the morning with deliveries to shops etc.. However this was really minor! Bed was fantastically comfortable and loved the authentic old style feel of the whole place. Kinsale is a fabulous town to spend a few quiet days of relaxed bliss. We also ate in Man Friday's and Max's which were both excellent. There is a 'Good food circle' of restuarants and I believe all the restuarants involved in this circle are of a very high standard. I would advise visiting the forts and take the Sily walk to walk off all the delicious food. Such a romantic setting I highly recommend a trip to Kinsale only problem is returning to reality after a few days of bliss! Will definitely be back!!

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review on our hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your short break with us. We do work hard to maintain our high standards so it's great to get such praise. Your comments have been passed onto all our staff.
We do offer great deals throughout the year and only a few months ago we were voted Best Value Hotel in Ireland at the National Hospitality Awards held in Dublin. If you decide to return to Kinsale soon be sure to check out our website which will have the latest deals with different packages to suit all.
I was also happy to read that you enjoyed the other restaurants in Kinsale as well as the many attractions that Kinsale has to offer. We are very fortunate to be located in such a beautiful town.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 30 November 2011

We checked in and went to our room to lay down after a long day of traveling and the bed was like a prison bed! I We went down and ask for another room and they did change it, However it is a run down facility and the rooms are very small, do not be deceived by the pictures they show you the place is not all that!! The food is below average and the staff is friendly but overworked and it reflects in their attitudes not the normal Irish friendly. We loved the town They told us not to go into Ned Kelly's " its A rough place" LOL we had the best time in their despite the warning we went anyway. They played REAL Irish folk songs and it was fun. I guess owner wants everyone to go to their facility's. As I said their are much better restaurants their. Max's was great. Fishy Fishy cafe and we had dinner in a pub one Night down the street and I cant remember the name but it was awesome also. One night the Hotel had a black tie event and we basically were thrown out of the hotel and had to go out no matter what but that was ok because like I said we would not eat their after the first meal But we could not come back and go to the lounge or use any of the facility's we could only go to our room. Their are many hotels and B and B in Kinsale do your self a favor and stay some were else. Did I also mention the parking!! It sucks and they do not help you with you bags outside, you have to park about a 1/4 mile away. That's it! Make you decision wisely, I read similar reviews on the uncomfortable rooms and so on they don't care as long as you people ignore these reviews and others accept the crappy food and service it wont change.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay in the Blue Haven Hotel. I was disappointed to read some of your comments and I would like to apologise for the negative experiences you encountered. We have earned a reputation in recent years for providing great food and for having friendly and efficient staff. I am sorry that you found the food to be below average as we work hard to maintain the high standards that we have set. I do not agree with your comment that we are a run down facility. We have continually upgraded different parts of the hotel in recent years including our bedrooms, café, restaurant and bar. Just over a year ago we completed the restoration of the Old Kinsale Fish Market wall adjoining the hotel which now forms the entrance to the Blue Haven Bar.
The hotel is a member of the Blue Haven Collection and we are very proud of all our establishments. We do recommend to our residents to try out each of these venues during their stay. However Kinsale is full of other great restaurants, bars and shops and we are happy to recommend any of these places.
We always have a porter on duty to assist our guests with their luggage so I can only apologise that nobody assisted you with your bags. It is hotel policy that all our guests are offered assistance with their luggage when they check in.
We did have a black tie event in the hotel at the time of your stay. I am sorry that you felt that you were not made feel welcome in the hotel that night. All our hotel guests were allowed to frequent the public areas of the hotel that night so I can only apologise for the misunderstanding.
I am glad that you did have some positive experiences during your time in Kinsale and I hope that you will visit the town again in the near future. I would like to assure you that we have taken all your comments on board and that we will treat them very seriously.
If you would like to contact me directly to discuss any of the issues that you raised I’d be delighted to talk to you at any time.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 28 November 2011

Stayed for one night with my husband. The receptionist had told me it was a small room when I booked the night before arrival. Now this wouldnt bother me once the room is clean. But we were very pleasantly surprised! Lovel room, well equipped, spottlessly clean and really comfortable. You need never leave the hotel as you have restaurant, bistro and a lovely comfortable bar that served food and nightly entertainment in the bar. Food looked lovely in the bar and quite reasonable. We ate in the restaurant and it was excellent. We were given a great rate when I booked, €55 per person bed and breakfast and this included €30 per person towards dinner! Staff were lovely and breakfast great. Would definetly recommend this hotel. Just to note though that the hotel doesnt have an elevator (didnt cause a problem for us). Hope to be back soon!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 November 2011

just back from a very enjoyable two night stay in the Blue Haven. The staff were very friendly and extremely accommodating. The room was cosy with a very comfortable bed and modern ensuite. Breakfast was fantastic.....eggs benedict highly recommended!

We'll be back.

Reviewed 8 November 2011

My husband and I spent one night at the Blue Haven on October 23. We were booked by our travel coordinator so I can't say what the cost was. The room was small, but cozy. We did splurge for 4 nights in Ashford and Drumoland Castles, so we knew we had to budget the other 3 nights, and this room was comparable to the other accommodations we had on our "budget nights". The bathtub was very deep and the water very hot...lovely! The day/night we were there it was bone-chillingly cold and storming rain. We decided to eat in that night for dinner rather than get out in the storm. It couldn't have been a better choice. The restaurant proper wasn't open, but we were told that the bar (which was very large and had lovely lovely romantic ambiance) would be serving the restaurant menu. We were absolutely thrilled with everything. The bar was warm and cozy and we couldn't have had a better table (right by a roaring fire). Just perfect for our evening. A very very reasonably priced bottle of Prosecco was greatly enjoyed by my husband and myself. The manager (I suppose) stopped by our table to see if we needed anything (always a nice touch). Our meal was delicious! My husband had the lamb and I had 2 appetizers of Pate' and a goat cheese torte. Our waitress was absolutely wonderful. I am embarrassed that I do not remember her name, but she was from Poland (I say that only in that it might identify her for recognition). She couldn't have been kinder and more attentive, but not in a pesky way..Well, I guess I've gone on enough. And might I say that after reading some of the other reviews I am VERY impressed by the way the manager responds personally to everything and is most gracious and receptive to even negative comments. The only thing I would ask for is would there be any way I could have the recipes to the pate' and the goat cheese appetizer emailed to me. Hugs and keep up the good work!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank magnoliagirl3515
DeclanJDelaney, General Manager at Blue Haven Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I was delighted to read that your experience was positive and that you enjoyed your stay in the Blue Haven. We work hard to maintain the high standards we have set ourselves so it is always nice to hear good feedback. The waitress on duty that night was Agata so you can be assured that I was will pass on your comments. The Blue Haven is very fortunate to have a lot of staff who have been working here for a good number of years who are very hard working and customer focused. Most of our reviews mention the friendliness and professionalism of our staff so I am delighted that you experienced this first hand.
I would also be delighted to email you the recipes for the pate and goats cheese appetizer's. Please forward your email address to info@bluehavenkinsale.com and I will send that onto you.

Many thanks again for your review.