Blue Haven Hotel
Macdonald Kinsale Hotel & Spa(Kinsale)(Great Value!)
US$254
US$235
  • Bar/Lounge
Trident Hotel Kinsale(Kinsale)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsno liftfish pielive musicpillow menuchowderstreet parkingeggs benedicthotel bartop classtwo nightslovely hotelboutique hotellovely roomvisiting kinsalecentral locationmadelinetown
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for 2 nights over New Years weekend. We were both looking for somewhere cosy and quiet to spend the New Year and he picked the Blue Haven after staying here before. The offer was 360 euro for 2 nights bed and breakfast and New Years dinner. Our room was on the top floor (beware no lift if you have a big suitcase) and at the back on the hotel (not much of a view as you'd imagine). Our room was small but had all the facilities that you need (tea/coffee, TV, wardrobe, ironing board & iron). Bed was very comfortable and room was warm. The shower wasn't great though. My advice is to ask for one of the larger rooms when you book. There was a bit of noise from Hamlets (bar) on the Sunday night but it wrapped up early so was quiet after that. We ate in the restaurant on NYE and had a gorgeous meal - chowder was amazing. Breakfast was served in the bisrto and I was impressed with the selection on offer. The staff were all really nice and helpful where possible - especially to the chef from Belfast who jump started my car the day we were leaving!!!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Have just read some negative reviews of The Blue Haven and couldn't disagree more. This is my 3rd review on trip advisor .My last one was negative!but I believe in praise when it is due. I love this hotel .It is old worlde I suppose .That is a plus in my book as it is also charming ,comfortable and very clean. The staff have got the right balance in charm and good service.I never appreciate sloppiness in service. The food is excellent.We also stayed in room 21 and found it very comfortable.Music finished early in the bar and didn't disrupt us.It had a lovely 6ft bed and a smaller bed,with a choice of pillows, Modern bathroom with plenty of hot water.We have travelled quite a bit on European city breaks and in The States and Canada.I must say we would have been so happy to find a hotel of this quality and value in any of the othe countries we have visited.This was the 2nd .time we stayed in the Blue Haven.We will be back!
Kinsale itself is a charming town. The people certainly do look after their tourists. We found the people to be most helpful and friendly. We got our boots on and went for a long walk. We came back to the hotel for excellent bar food before heading home after a blissful break.We look forward to returning soon.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank oldercouple186621
Reviewed 30 December 2011

Stayed here for one night. Best thing was the barfood and the hotel has good charm & character. The room was very nice, bed very comfortable. Only thing negative I could say was the ceiling in the bedroom needed a coat of paint but overall good hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011
DeclanJDelaney, General Manager at Blue Haven Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and for staying at the Blue Haven Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I would like to assure you that all our rooms are painted over the winter period so your comment on the ceiling in the bedroom will be addressed immediately.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Blue Haven in the near future.

Reviewed 16 December 2011

If you appreciate quirkyness then this is ideal but rooms which smell of sewage and have slopping floors to the extent you climb up hill to get into bed are not ideal. Everything fell off the bedside table due to the slope. The bedside light did not work so when I went to investigate the plug I discovered the socket was hanging out of the wall.
It takes ages to get hot water too.
The food though is magnificant. Breakfast choices are all delightful with fresh fruit, an Irish fry cooked freshly for you, pancakes, a selection of breads etc.

The staff are so accommodating you can almost forget the down side.

Room Tip: Dont be afraid to ask to change rooms as they will accommodate this
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Aine209963
DeclanJDelaney, General Manager at Blue Haven Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your review on our Hotel. I’m delighted that you described the food as magnificent and that you especially enjoyed the breakfast choices that were available to you. The pancakes are a favourite for most of our guests!

I would like to apologise for some of the issues you experienced in your room such as the bedside lamp not working and for the problems you had with the hot water. These issues should not have arisen as all our rooms are checked daily by the manager on duty. Regarding your comments on the smell of sewage this has never been an issue with us before. I have investigated this matter personally and I can assure you that there is no such problem at present. The floors in all our rooms are level so I was surprised by your comment that items fell off your locker due to the slope in the room. Again this has never been a problem with us in the past and all rooms have been inspected for this issue. However if you wish to discuss this issue in more detail I would be delighted if you could contact me directly at the hotel.

I was very happy to read that you found our staff to be very accommodating. All your comments have been passed onto our team.

I hope that you will return and stay with us again in the near future. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 5 December 2011

We booked into the blue haven's midweek 2 nights b&b with a dinner included. At €180 for two people it was absolutely super value!! Had such a lovely room and delicious meal in the restuarant. The hotel is brimming over with character as is the town. There is a beautiful bar area to sit by a fire read a book and have a delicious lunch (try the chowder delicious!!) We ate in the restuarant one night as per the package and we were blown away by the quality of the food. Being in Kinsale we stuck to fish and had a most delicious dish of sea bass while my partner had monkfish. Find reviews claiming the food not up to standard quite suprising as we eat out regularily and were blown away by the flavour quality and presentation of the food. The only negative to the trip was we had a room facing the street and because it was quite hot we kept the windows open and the street comes to life quite early in the morning with deliveries to shops etc.. However this was really minor! Bed was fantastically comfortable and loved the authentic old style feel of the whole place. Kinsale is a fabulous town to spend a few quiet days of relaxed bliss. We also ate in Man Friday's and Max's which were both excellent. There is a 'Good food circle' of restuarants and I believe all the restuarants involved in this circle are of a very high standard. I would advise visiting the forts and take the Sily walk to walk off all the delicious food. Such a romantic setting I highly recommend a trip to Kinsale only problem is returning to reality after a few days of bliss! Will definitely be back!!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review on our hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your short break with us. We do work hard to maintain our high standards so it's great to get such praise. Your comments have been passed onto all our staff.
We do offer great deals throughout the year and only a few months ago we were voted Best Value Hotel in Ireland at the National Hospitality Awards held in Dublin. If you decide to return to Kinsale soon be sure to check out our website which will have the latest deals with different packages to suit all.
I was also happy to read that you enjoyed the other restaurants in Kinsale as well as the many attractions that Kinsale has to offer. We are very fortunate to be located in such a beautiful town.

Thank you again for your feedback.