“Very pleasant stay....”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Kinsale
London, United Kingdom
“Very pleasant stay....”
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Stayed here only one night for a quick getaway from Dublin to show the area to o/s visiter. First impression was that location was very central - important for two ladies. We felt very safe walking around the town, had a drink at Ned Kelly's, chatted with one of the friendly locals there, then a two minute walk to the hotel. The receptionist, Madeleine, is one of the hotel's greatest assets. Every time we walked past reception, she was helping people with useful information, either on the phone or in person. Similarly with us. She went out of her way to find answers to questions we had with regard to other places we were visiting after we left Kinsale. Also gave us room upgrades which was appreciated. A large number of dining options around, but after checking them all out, we decided to eat at the hotel's bistro, a choice we were very happy with. Food and service were excellent, then we could move in to the bar next door and listen to some live music until time to retire. Parking is a 5 min walk but that didn't bother us. We were both very happy with our stay at Blue Haven, and will stay again when I return to the area with my husband.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 12 January 2012

Stayed two nights in the Blue Haven in Kinsale. The location was perfect, right in the heart of kinsale town. On arrival we were met by a friendly receptionist who gave us all the information we required and more about kinsale and what was available. To make things easier she even made our reservations for dinner for both nights. Great start so far to the weekend. The room was really nice with a big comfy bed. On the first night we dined in the hotels restaurant and all i can say is the seafood chowder and pate were to die for. Fantastic. Throughout our stay from stepping into the hotel the service was five stars. Couldn't of asked for anymore. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank casey c
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 8 January 2012

it has been quite a while since I wrote a review but I had such a positive experience in Kinsale and the Blue haven that I felt I had to.I recently stayed in the blue haven with my wife and 2 young children.When we checked in the receptionist straight away offered us a different room than the 1 they had us down for due toit being slightly bigger.(this was very thoughtful). The hotel does not have a lift but it is not a new hotel and has old world feel to it , if we needed a lift that badly we could have stayed in one of the new impersonal hotels, as it happens a barmanor waiter saw us bringing buggy etc upstairs and helped us. The room was spotless a little old but had all the facilities we needed and was overlooking the harbour..We popped down to the bar for some food , i do not eat fish but my wife does she said the meal she had was top class, i stuck with my steak and could not fault it in anyway, it was cooked as ordered and the waiting staff were busy but friendly and efficent.we had a very good nights sleep and breakfast was great cooked fresh and prompt. we were checked out by a friendly receptionist .overall i would recommend this hotel and will be back and kinsale itself is beautiful .

Room Tip: ask, if you do not ask at reception on check in they will upgrade. I always ask and very rarely am i...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank familyguy243
Ireland
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for 2 nights over New Years weekend. We were both looking for somewhere cosy and quiet to spend the New Year and he picked the Blue Haven after staying here before. The offer was 360 euro for 2 nights bed and breakfast and New Years dinner. Our room was on the top floor (beware no lift if you have a big suitcase) and at the back on the hotel (not much of a view as you'd imagine). Our room was small but had all the facilities that you need (tea/coffee, TV, wardrobe, ironing board & iron). Bed was very comfortable and room was warm. The shower wasn't great though. My advice is to ask for one of the larger rooms when you book. There was a bit of noise from Hamlets (bar) on the Sunday night but it wrapped up early so was quiet after that. We ate in the restaurant on NYE and had a gorgeous meal - chowder was amazing. Breakfast was served in the bisrto and I was impressed with the selection on offer. The staff were all really nice and helpful where possible - especially to the chef from Belfast who jump started my car the day we were leaving!!!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Have just read some negative reviews of The Blue Haven and couldn't disagree more. This is my 3rd review on trip advisor .My last one was negative!but I believe in praise when it is due. I love this hotel .It is old worlde I suppose .That is a plus in my book as it is also charming ,comfortable and very clean. The staff have got the right balance in charm and good service.I never appreciate sloppiness in service. The food is excellent.We also stayed in room 21 and found it very comfortable.Music finished early in the bar and didn't disrupt us.It had a lovely 6ft bed and a smaller bed,with a choice of pillows, Modern bathroom with plenty of hot water.We have travelled quite a bit on European city breaks and in The States and Canada.I must say we would have been so happy to find a hotel of this quality and value in any of the othe countries we have visited.This was the 2nd .time we stayed in the Blue Haven.We will be back!
Kinsale itself is a charming town. The people certainly do look after their tourists. We found the people to be most helpful and friendly. We got our boots on and went for a long walk. We came back to the hotel for excellent bar food before heading home after a blissful break.We look forward to returning soon.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank oldercouple186621
Reviewed 30 December 2011

Stayed here for one night. Best thing was the barfood and the hotel has good charm & character. The room was very nice, bed very comfortable. Only thing negative I could say was the ceiling in the bedroom needed a coat of paint but overall good hotel.

• Stayed December 2011
DeclanJDelaney, General Manager at Blue Haven Hotel, responded to this review, 15 January 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and for staying at the Blue Haven Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I would like to assure you that all our rooms are painted over the winter period so your comment on the ceiling in the bedroom will be addressed immediately.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Blue Haven in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Declan Delaney

The Blue Haven Collection
Portstewart, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2011

If you appreciate quirkyness then this is ideal but rooms which smell of sewage and have slopping floors to the extent you climb up hill to get into bed are not ideal. Everything fell off the bedside table due to the slope. The bedside light did not work so when I went to investigate the plug I discovered the socket was hanging out of the wall.
It takes ages to get hot water too.
The food though is magnificant. Breakfast choices are all delightful with fresh fruit, an Irish fry cooked freshly for you, pancakes, a selection of breads etc.

The staff are so accommodating you can almost forget the down side.

Room Tip: Dont be afraid to ask to change rooms as they will accommodate this
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Aine209963
DeclanJDelaney, General Manager at Blue Haven Hotel, responded to this review, 7 January 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your review on our Hotel. I’m delighted that you described the food as magnificent and that you especially enjoyed the breakfast choices that were available to you. The pancakes are a favourite for most of our guests!

I would like to apologise for some of the issues you experienced in your room such as the bedside lamp not working and for the problems you had with the hot water. These issues should not have arisen as all our rooms are checked daily by the manager on duty. Regarding your comments on the smell of sewage this has never been an issue with us before. I have investigated this matter personally and I can assure you that there is no such problem at present. The floors in all our rooms are level so I was surprised by your comment that items fell off your locker due to the slope in the room. Again this has never been a problem with us in the past and all rooms have been inspected for this issue. However if you wish to discuss this issue in more detail I would be delighted if you could contact me directly at the hotel.

I was very happy to read that you found our staff to be very accommodating. All your comments have been passed onto our team.

I hope that you will return and stay with us again in the near future. Thank you again for your feedback.

Kind Regards,

Declan Delaney

The Blue Haven Collection
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kinsale
Actons Hotel Kinsale
The River Lee
#2 of 23 in Cork
Perryville House
#6 of 53 in Kinsale

Been to Blue Haven Hotel? Share your experiences!